We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Poverty & Charity

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
212 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Poverty & Charity

We leave 2 weeks from today! Can't wait!

This is our first trip to the DR and I am expecting to see quite a bit of poverty. While my husband and I are used to this from other travels in Mexico and Africa, I imagine much of it will be startling for my 9 year old daughter. We give her an allowance that she then splits into thirds - one third for spending, one third for saving, and one third for sharing. The sharing money is now up to about $100 and she is trying to decide how to share it, which charities or causes, etc. I thought I might suggest she somehow share it with the people we see in the DR, not by just giving them money, but in other ways. Perhaps there is a charity that does work in Bayahibe? Or perhaps she can bring something to give to some of the local kids? For those of you who have been there before, do you have any ideas?

Thanks,

Christi

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
13,161 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Poverty & Charity

Hi Christi,

Your daughter sounds like a lovely young lady! How wonderful that you are raising her in such a loving and caring way!

I know that Dreams LaRomana has had a relationship with the village of Bayahibe and has done work and donated things in the past to both the school and medical clinic.

I would suggest you write down to Kerry to see if she can help you

Kerry Cosentino

concierge@dreamslaromana.com.do

Hope the above is helpful!

Happy Travels!

bb/mt

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,057 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Poverty & Charity

If you want to assist with true poverty, I'd suggest that Bayahibe is not the place. Compared to what you might see driving to the hotel, Bayahibe is relatively wealthy.

Kerry has distributed some donations to the orphanage in La Romana and maybe your $100 can go toward that cause. If you don't want to leave it in cash, you can go to the Bayahibe Food Market and buy powdered milk which can be used as needed over a period of time.

You can see the milk that they sell there in pictures I have posted at …webshots.com/photo/2468150630064234328qkvoUQ At that time we purchased $315 worth for an orphanage and it would last 3 months there. Kerry can advise whether that would be helpful or if there's something else or somewhere else to deliver your generous donation.

Kaki

England
Level Contributor
1,466 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Poverty & Charity

Hello,

What a lovely young lady - you must be very proud of her.

Poverty in the DR is not as it is in some African states. Unlike Cuba there are no restrictions as to what is available in the shops. Sadly, some people in the DR have less money than others - a trip to Santa Domingo shows the wealth that the island has.

Trips which visit 'a typical village / house' are more tourist attractions than the reality. E.g.How can a village or home be typical when it is visited by tourists every day.

Luckily there are many posts here about what to take to the DR and the general theme is that it is better to take items rather than give money. For example,over the counter medicines are incredibly expensive in the DR so if you have the weight / space left in your suitcase you might want to use your daughters donation to buy these items.

There is an wonderful charity called beyondthebeach which gives advice and may have some contacts which will collect the items and make sure that it goes to the people who need it most.

HAve a wonderful holiday.

england
Level Contributor
5,665 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Poverty & Charity

Hi There

Obviously you've done a great "job" bringing up this little Angel. Nice one.

Little tip, if ,as Sheila suggeted, you take items rather than cash.

Alot of airlines will let you take additional luggage on "Humanitarian grounds".

You need to contact the Carriers.

Your daughter might like the idea of having her "Own Case" Full of gifts she's purchased.

Just a thought!

Happy Hols

Sparky

Orlando
Level Contributor
119 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Poverty & Charity

Last year we brought a bag full of dental supplies - toothbrushes, toothpastes, floss. It was much appreciated.

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
212 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Poverty & Charity

These are some great ideas! I'll sit down with my daughter and look through these options to see what she wants to do.

Thanks so much!

Christi

north carolina
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Poverty & Charity

while the joy of giving is not done in self gratification the smiles and appreciation you will receive in giving toys goes both ways. we always bring baseballs and mitts and make sure to personally deliver them to a teacher at a local school. this way the kids can all play with them. if you find a neat toy that your daughter likes bring as many as you can of them and pass them out instead. the other suggestions are noble as well but the toy option brings instant joy! enjoy your time in the beautiful country.... ben jammin'

england
Level Contributor
5,665 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Poverty & Charity

Hi Again

The toy suggestion is also a great idea but I've seen the children at play.

They use there imagination & make toys out of almost anything.

I think that the other suggestions were aimed at "essentials" that can't be purchased, Whether through lack of funds or unavailiability.

Any help is "great".

Happy Hols

Sparky

Bowen Island, Canada
Level Contributor
615 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Poverty & Charity

There is a charity based out of Bayahibe that you might consider looking into. The young woman who runs it is an amazing person with an incredible heart. You can view the charity's website at http://www.hambrientosdetodo.com

You can contact Maria directly at

hambrientosdetodo@hotmail.com and she will be happy to answer any questions you might have.

If you take a case of donations with you, be sure to pack them separately from any personal items if your airline is allowing the case for humanitarian aid.

Not all airlines have this allowance - so check with your carrier. We flew with WestJet who allow one extra bag per person (space permitting) for humanitarian aid. Also, be sure to get something from your point of origin stating that the excess baggage is for humanitarian aid. We connected in Toronto for our flight to La Romana. There was no note in the airline's computers to show that the extra bag was for humanitarian aid - they only allowed it through Toronto unpaid because it was obvious from their records that we hadn't been charged any excess baggage fees at the point of origin. With a different carrier, it might have been an issue.

Storm

10. Re: Poverty & Charity

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 December 2009, 05:38