We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Place to stay in Bayahibe not a hotel

ireland
Level Contributor
773 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Place to stay in Bayahibe not a hotel

We are currently staying in dreams but looking at comming again we would like somplace near Bayahibe that we could walk to.have been in the village a few time and loved it everything about it.looking for someplace with A/C and maybe a pool is this advailable

thanks

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,053 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Place to stay in Bayahibe not a hotel

The pool is your problem. Take a walk into town and look at the Hotel Bayahibe right beside Casa Daniel on the main road. It's pretty "plain", but thoroughly efficient and reliable and for me right now, that's value. My other favourite place is Villa Iguana. You can get there by going up past Hotel Bayahibe to the colmado, turn right and then a quick left on the other side of the Food Market. Go up one block and it's at the end of that street. It is much more quaint and there are a bunch of room choices, one of which is the penthouse suite which has its own private deck/terrace and a really small pool excellent for cooling off and lazing in for cocktails but not for doing laps. It's only a bedroom up there with good sized bathroom, but if you go with two couples, one can take that and one can take the 1 bedroom apartment. You'll then have the best of best exterior spaces and an indoor living room with kitchen facilities.

Both Villa Iguana and Hotel Bayahibe have hot running water and refrigerators which aren't a given in Bayahibe.

There are a few more options in Dominicus which is more modern, developed, European and expensive. You can't walk between the villages but you can take the local bus or a $10 cab. Even I've had difficulty finding something that would work for me there but I keep looking. The El Eden is a good option there but it isn't better for me than what I've found in Bayahibe!

Hotel Bayahibe: travel.webshots.com/album/576079760GSSGxZ

http://www.hotelbayahibe.net/home.html

Villa Iguana: travel.webshots.com/album/563221847ytecdr

http://www.villaiguana.de/rooms.htm

It's addictive, huh?!

Kaki

ireland
Level Contributor
773 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Place to stay in Bayahibe not a hotel

Yes it is will keep an eye out

ireland
Level Contributor
773 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Place to stay in Bayahibe not a hotel

Kaki,

Thanks for all your help and it is addicative here more so than any of the other island that we have been on have to say i was quite disapointed with dreams and the fact that they were telling people not to move out of the complex and the food being so bad.

Just one other quistion in Dominicus is there may place to rent and does it have a small village anthing like bayahibe.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,053 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Place to stay in Bayahibe not a hotel

Dominicus is its own little village, with places to rent and places to eat, but it’s not like Bayahibe really at all! You haven't the same selection of establishments with water access since the entire beach is taken up with the AIs. The accommodations are more expensive too. I just don’t think it’s as user friendly, though some people like the elevated European feeling better. I prefer to stay in Bayahibe with the remains of its aura of a Dominican village and visit Dominicus periodically. Both Dominicus and Bayahibe have a public beach that you can access.

I can’t speak to staying in Dominicus directly since I’ve found it difficult to get accommodation that meets my needs. I keep saying that I may try it “next time” but then I’m happier in Bayahibe for its access to the things I want when I’m getting around on foot and the price point. I am returning to the area for the first week of August and due to my having to cut back, I won’t likely stay at a resort. I thought about Dominicus but keep returning in my mind to Bayahibe. I may still try to look something for Dominicus and will let you know what I learn. For your needs (a pool), you may be happy at the El Eden in Dominicus. I’m not prepared to pay double per day for a pool when I have the Caribbean at my doorstep, and that may be the ultimate price difference between Villa Iguana or Hotel Bayahibe and El Eden.

It’s too bad that you didn’t enjoy Dreams, and particularly the dining. I’m not a “foodie” but I have to say that I love a lot of what they serve and spent a lot of time during my 2 weeks in April anticipating my next meal. Food is always a personal call. What food/restaurant did you like in Bayahibe? I wonder if our tastes line up more that way or even there you didn’t like what I can’t wait to go back for!

Kaki

ireland
Level Contributor
773 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Place to stay in Bayahibe not a hotel

We ate in Nare Nostrum twice while we were there we also loved Capatin Kidds Branco bar and the cuba tried a lot of them.As you say food is a personal choice and maybe we are just too fussy.But i will be looking fordward to our next trip

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,053 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Place to stay in Bayahibe not a hotel

What did you eat at Capitan Kidd's? I wasn't so excited by their food menu but have enjoyed many sunsets from their location with a cerveza. I liked the salads at Barco Bar (is that what you mean by Branco?) for their value as a full meal deal especially when making use of their free WiFi. Mare Nostrum has one of the best views in town, but I don't know that I can give them the title of best food in town!

Please let me know how your future plans unfold.

Kaki

ireland
Level Contributor
773 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Place to stay in Bayahibe not a hotel

We had the grilled prawn for starter and their steak for main course and i have to say their steaks were one of the best that i have eaten.what i loved about every place their was the staff were just so nice.But if we were going back again we would need to have a few words of Spanish as the menus we found hard to understand.

8. Re: Place to stay in Bayahibe not a hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 December 2010, 05:16