We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

iberostar hacienda dominicus questions

surrey UK
Level Contributor
146 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
iberostar hacienda dominicus questions

Hi could anybody let me know the email address please,

and could someone put any light on the two recent reviews or does the majority think people make a rod for their own back, we have stayed in the dom rep before and new about most of there gripes apart from the sewage issue and the mossies how bad are these problems.

thanks for any input

regards Ray

Cromer, United...
Level Contributor
109 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: iberostar hacienda dominicus questions

Hi Ray

I recently e mailed the hotel using this e mail and got a response within 24 hours. rrpp.bayahibe@iberostar.com

only a week and a bit to go hooray, still nervous about the weather and as you said the last two reviews, but there are many more good reviews than bad.

See you on the 18th

Regards Julia

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,039 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: iberostar hacienda dominicus questions

I think that each review should be taken on its on merits. If you tend to agree with the priorities laid out in the review, you can be concerned.

I personally thought the "mediocre" review was rather preposterous. It showed the reviewer to tend toward prejudice mentioning the Germans in a derogatory manner and suggesting that a Spanish run hotel in the Dominican Republic should offer food geared toward the British palate. If the hotel were to offer food for the Brits, Canadians, Italians and Spanish, how would they get anything of any variety on the buffet? If you want to feel like you're eating your own food, why fly 9 hours to a totally different continent and expect that you will find something like you'd have at home? They would be serving four different types of potatoes and have no resources for the variety that most of us look for on a buffet. Some of it is fact and if that's a problem, then it's good to know (like the fact that the show starts late). Some decisions (the timing of the show) are to accommodate those who are the bulk of the hotel's clientele and who dine at 7 or 8 p.m. and it's not overly late for that set. If you eat earlier and are an early to bed-early to rise sort, it won't be as good a fit, but they can't please everybody and we all pick and choose the parts of our day that suit our lifestyles. When I read comments about "bimosas" and like "the driftwood that washed in looked messy" I start to think that the whole review isn't worth my time. Is the poster aware of what the ocean is and does? The beach is cleaned daily for the grasses and driftwood that the tides bring in, which is the way the Caribbean Sea works, but it may not be monitored hourly throughout the day. If you too are upset that the sea brings in driftwood and the contents of the sea, it's good to know that and you can maybe plan to spend your time at the pool or at a hotel that is inland so has a wonderful string of well maintained pools and gardens without the bother of a beach. There was also the expectation of a lot of things that should be free at the hotel. The website clearly states that things like spa services, doctors visits, the safe and internet are at an extra cost. There is no surprise on that. In most of those cases, it's that the hotel commissions outside businesses to take care of the services with the professionalism that they can provide. The doctors are fully trained and the clinics are well stocked because it is real doctors with medical care as the focus. The same applies to the spa and masseuses. And the same thing applies to the internet services. The computers and internet connection are the responsibility of an company which is equipped to provide these services and more and more, the staff is not even employees of the hotel but employees of another company. It's rare that internet is offered free at these mid-priced hotels in the Dominican Republic.

Food is always a personal call. The benefit to "undercooked" meat is that you can send it back to the heat a bit. I think most of us would prefer that: medium rare beef at least rather than overcooked meat which is one of the worst criticisms to food cooked for the masses.

In the "very disappointing" review, again there is the clear appearance that these travelers did little to research their vacation before they went when they say that there is nothing to do in the area except for the high priced excursions. Some of the excursions aren't so very high priced, and there is a lot to do in the area, depending on your interests. If you aren't interested in exploring the local villages, taking a 10 minute local bus or paying $10 for a cab to get somewhere for a day, you can't paint that with "there's nothing to do".

Nobody can control or predict the weather, except to say that if you go to La Romana during May, which is one of the rainiest months of the year, you may encounter rain. Check out the statistics at theweathernetwork.com/statistics/…drxx0003 There's less rain in June and even less in July, but Mother Nature will assert the right to modify past trends if she chooses!

Mosquitos tend to increase after a period of rain and the natural and created pools and ponds of the Iberostar seem made as breeding grounds. That said, I was there last year for the 3rd week of May and suffered no mosquitoes, actually looking for them once I saw the ponds. It sounds like there are mosquitoes all over the DR this year, and in my city in Canada too! Take DEET and cinnamon and/or clove and/or tea tree oil, and bring long sleeved clothes options. Light linen pants and tunics work well, and if you can tie off the ankles, all the better. Don't leave your balcony doors open!

I enjoyed my time at the resort last year very much. I have pictures at travel.webshots.com/album/574265226pmnyRD I haven't heard of any outbreaks of food poisoning at this hotel, and when it is true food poisoning, it does tend to become known. Stomach upset when traveling is common, but isn't necessarily food poisoning.

I say go and expect a good vacation. Be prepared for anything and be wise in your choices, but enjoy the location, view and wonderful Dominican people!

Kaki

surrey UK
Level Contributor
146 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: iberostar hacienda dominicus questions

Thanks for the email address Julia and we are on the same plane,

And Kaki i totally agree with you before i go anywhere i do all sorts of checks, because i have to know certain things about anywhere i travel due to my transplant, and if you use this website correctly all the answers are on here if not then the local experts should be able to answer any of your Questions.

whenever i go to the Caribbean i always tip so getting a drink is not a problem.

The film shirley valantine come to mind when a certain type of person says well its not spain is it ,

how correct he was no this is the Caribbean one of the most beautiful places on earth where the customs and traditions are different, if they cannot except this then stay in benidorm.

As for the excursions they are actually dearer in Europe thats why i stopped going there.

Personally i cannot wait to go to sanoa with seavis tours .

and the golf is cheaper here than in Europe thanks to one of the local experts they recommended to me La estancia golf club .

only 8 more days

Ray

Rowlett, Texas
Level Contributor
59 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: iberostar hacienda dominicus questions

We stayed at IHD 2 years ago & loved it. I guess it just boils down to what your personal expectations & preferences are.

We're headed back on the 19th & I cannot wait. This is the exact weekend we went previously & we had no mosquito issues at all. But this year may be different & I'm taking repellent just as I always do to tropical destinations.

We also found the food to be fantastic (actually the buffets & the fancy restaurant). We're from Texas & although there weren't food items catering to our usual fare, that's what I liked about it - why do I want to eat the same old thing I eat every day.

There were not many other english speaking folks we encountered but we go to lounge & enjoy the ocean, the food & each other, not strangers' company.

England
Level Contributor
331 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: iberostar hacienda dominicus questions

Helo Ray. My wife and I are due to return to the Dominican Republic for the 7th time on 24 September 2010. Staying for the first time at the IHD. During our previous 6 visits we have always stayed in the Iberostar Chain of hotels. 5 times in the ICD in the North and once at the Iberostar Punta Cana and Dominicana in Bavaro. We have always found the service and standards of this chain to be of an excellent standard. Yes you do from time to time get drift wood and other items of rubbish washed up on the beach, but from my experience this is very quickly cleared away by the hotel staff. Whilst we were staying at the ICD the staff used mechanical equipment to rake the beach during the night. Regarding the dreadful mossies, you don't say when you are travelling, but my wife and I use patches when we travel. When we visited for the first time we used normal mozzie repellent, however we were still bit quite. We then found a company on the web advertising patches. We have used these during the other 5 visits and never been beaten. The web address is www.naturalpatches.info. If you order either by phone or using the web links they normally get your patches to you within 48 hours. Hope you have a good holiday and an enjoyable stay at the IHD. Roy Clarke

surrey UK
Level Contributor
146 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: iberostar hacienda dominicus questions

Hello Roy

my wife and myself have also stayed at ICD last year,we do tend to take some of the reviews with a pinch of salt,, however when I read about sewage it was a bit alarming as i am not aloud in swimming pools the sea is my favorite place , as for mossies if they bite me they will die as well with all the meds i take,like yourselves we have found the chain very good witch is why we are taking our parents with us and my father in-law is my golf buddy.

also as one of the other reviewers have said to try the local cuisine is all part of the attraction.

only 6 more days

all the best Ray

will post when i get back

Cromer, United...
Level Contributor
109 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: iberostar hacienda dominicus questions

Hi everyone

Cant believe this time next week we will be on the beach, I have the weather on my homepage and it gives the current weather as the day goes on, I have been watching it for a few days now and everyday its been 31 and sun with a bit of cloud so if thats correct its all good, the rain and thunderstorms have only been during the night

6 a bit sleeps to go.

Regards Julia

8. Re: iberostar hacienda dominicus questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 December 2010, 05:18