We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Illness at Hacienda Dominicus!!!

Which Bayahibe hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
west midlands
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Illness at Hacienda Dominicus!!!

Hi there guys! Myself & my partner are jetting off to the Hacienda on 5th August for our wedding! We are lucky enough to be taking 20 guests along with us. As you can imagine, we are very excited but also slightly apprehensive as to how the day will turn out. However, my main concern at the moment is the amount of reviews where people have claimed to have been taken ill while at the resort. Just wondered if anyone could give further info in relation to this, i.e. how long were you ill, why do you think you were taken ill, etc. Obviously, I will feel terrible if one of our guests comes down with something or one of us for that matter. Thanks!

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,035 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Illness at Hacienda Dominicus!!!

The doctors in the DR with whom I've discussed this matter have pretty much said that they can't know FOR SURE the reason for illness when an unknown patient comes through their door. They often opt for the antibiotic route and treat the symptoms, with anti-spasmodics and anti-nauseants, and may not say it isn't food poisoning, but when it's only a half dozen people per week out 1000 guests in the hotel, it's often guaranteed that it's not that. If you can heal yourself with Pepto Bismol and a day of vomiting, it's not likely the problem that many of us who had a horrible experience make it out to be. There are far fewer people who actually seek medical advice than sit around the pool deck moaning.

I've accumulated a bunch of ideas and health suggestions over the years. If you're interested in skimming the paragraphs, you can pick and choose what sounds good for you.

Drink lots of (bottled) water! Have a glass of water for every drink or at least every two alcoholic beverages.

Some people take Pepto Bismol in the morning or before every meal as a preventative measure. There are side effects to beware of (weird black tongue among them!) as with all medication so though you are using it for one battle, make sure that you know what you are ingesting. It can also act to stop you up so you won't get diarrhea but it could lead to the opposite problem especially if you are taking it as a preventative and not because you are actually needing it for that. The nature of the product is that it provides protection by coating your stomach. You should beware of that if you are taking some other medication orally which you are expecting will be absorbed through the stomach walls. Effectiveness will be blocked. If you have problems with Aspirin, you shouldn't take Pepto Bismol, or if you're on Aspirin therapy watch the dosing when taking PB. If you're vomiting however, the flavoured and sweetened Pepto Bismol can make it a more pleasant experience.

If you get sick anyway and start taking Immodium, stop the Pepto Bismol therapy immediately. They don't mix. If you are staying around the hotel and can find the diarrhea merely an inconvenience, wait it out and flush your system as opposed to stopping nature from doing its job. See if you can only take the Immodium if you are heading out on an excursion or flying home. If you have something in your system that needs to be eliminated, beware that taking Immodium or something like that that is keeping it in your body could make you suffer with cramps, spasms and other abdominal pain or discomfort. It really is best in that situation to lay low, stay out of the sun, eat bananas and bread and white rice, drink lots of water, and let it pass in the natural way.

Some people bring a prescription for the antibiotic Cipro with them. As far as antibiotics go, it's a strong one and you should be sure that you follow the instructions provided for diagnosing the correct time to start taking it. Generally, it's when you see the presence of blood and once you've had the diarrhea for a full 24 hours. It's not recommended for those under the age of 16 years and it's not to be taken when you have a stomach ache or general diarrhea. If you have travel medical insurance (I think it's a must for EVERY traveler), go to the resort doctor for a diagnosis and appropriate treatment. They may tell you to go away and come back later if you don't start feeling better or may instantly put you on an IV if you've already been vomiting or have had diarrhea for a couple of days, or they may just give you some pills to combat nausea and for the symptoms. When at home most of us don't take an antibiotic with every cut we get or at the appearance of nausea and vomiting but rather we seek medical advice. Why would you do anything different when on vacation?

Many of us follow a natural course of prevention by means of acidophilis and probiotic dairy products. Both act to increase the good bacteria in your system to counteract nasty bacteria. You can start that treatment before you leave home and continue it for the duration of your vacation. Another problem with taking an antibiotic (especially when it's not absolutely needed) is that you kill the good bacteria which can lead to other problems, particularly in women. Bring a bottle of Cranberry Concentrate in tablet form to help combat a urinary tract infection. A glass of cranberry juice every day is a great treatment for men and women. Most of the hotels have cranberry cocktail these days. You can get ginger tablets at all drug stores as a natural way to combat nausea.

Coconut is a laxative and bananas are a natural binder (unless the bananas are REALLY ripe in which case they become a laxative too). Bear both in mind!

The hotels will use only potable water in the restaurants and for making ice, as well as the making of coffee and washing of vegetables. Make sure you don't have accidents brushing with tap water or consuming shower water.

As a rule, I say to avoid all rare or raw protein products, like eggs and shellfish (which I don't make a practice of eating at home either), and if any fish or meat looks suspicious, avoid it since there will surely be something else for you to select.

I avoid no food groups in particular and have never been sick with traditional foodborne illness in my many trips to the DR. But I always go prepared and watch what I eat and watch for symptoms and make sure that I have travel medical insurance. I've been to the doctor on most of my trips for some other ailment, and if an IV is required for rehydration or an anti-spasmodic or anti-nauseant or electrolytes, I want to make sure that I'm not responsible for those international medical costs. (If you have a big problem, you could end up bankrupt if you don't have travel insurance.)

If you have any known plant allergies or interactions, don't try mamajuana (an indigenous drink of the Dominican Republic consisting of a generally unknown combo of bark and twigs [each batch is going to be a bit different so that's why you may not know what's in one compared to another] soaked in rum and red wine and honey). Other than its potency and the fun factor of drinking a lot of it, some people find that they experience an adverse reaction to something in it. There are lime leaves in the woods that are poison to the skin too so keep your arms and legs in the vehicle if going through the woods on an Outback trip.

Just show caution and be smart in all that you do. Know the benefits and reasons why you'd take any medication that you take with you, as well as when it should be administered and when it should be stopped, and get to know the expected side effects. If you have the medical insurance and anything happens that has you worried, go to the resort doctor to set your mind at ease or start treatment. I had a nasty burn-like thing on my stomach complete with blistery bubbles. I went to the doctor and was told in 2 seconds that it was a reaction to a beach plant treatable with hydrocortisone cream. The opinion of a professional who knows about most of what we as tourists will meet with was very consoling. They are well used to the symptoms and treatment of various stomach ailments too: the difference between Caribbean food poisoning, the stomach flu and a hangover.

The best and quickest way to make a big difference to your body's immunities is to cut out refined sugar. It is because of the sugar component that other things should be cut out or added to your diet too. You can increase your protein intake since usually a lack of protein results in an increase in carbs (and a sugar spike). I liked what I read as "sugar distracts the immune system".

You can cut out caffeine and, as always, increase water consumption. The newest guide I've heard for quantity required is to take your weight in pounds, halve it, then change that from pounds to ounces. So, you weigh 150 pounds, you need 75 oz of water or 9 cups a day. If you drink coffee, add 2 cups of water to compensate for the diuretic affect of the coffee.

Take in lots of fresh lemon in the day. You can add it to your drinks, all the water you'll be drinking, and your food. A dear friend in the DR who is transplanted there from another country suggested sprinkling lemon liberally over his dinner plate at every meal. It makes everything taste better and makes a bit of sense too! It's a good antiseptic, can ease the digestion and your chemical balance and will work to increase your immunities should you be exposed. You can also take apple cider vinegar (tablets are available as well) for the same benefits. Good for redistributing body fat as well!

Also very predictable; get lots of sleep. It's a really obvious base level component to taking care of ourselves and one of the first that we overlook. I know that in the days before my vacation my boss works me twice as hard and I'm getting less sleep to take care of all I need to do. My flight is super long and exhausting so I can get to my destination already weakened.

To boost immunities, my family swears by garlic. First sign of a cold, out comes the garlic sandwich. Aloe is great too. I bought some liquid aloe to add to drinks as part of a cleanse through my gym.

Congratulations on your coming wedding and marriage!

Kaki

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Illness at Hacienda Dominicus!!!

A lot of good advice from Kaki ,before i started comming out west i went out east for about ten years mainly india and that was the place you got delli belly but in all of the ten years none of the four of us got any tummy problems we put that down to hygene with our hands dont over indulge with drink and food know when i have had enough sun always wear a hat plenty of water,i like seafood but when on holiday i dont touch it when at barbecues i ask chef nicely to cook mine a bit longer i just say i like mine well done and i start takeing acidophius a month before i go on hol.You cant alway put it down to food poison we are on hol for a couple of weeks and we are doing things that our bodys are not used to,go and have a nice holiday and dont think about it i was at the riu hotels last year and there was some posts about food poison i never met anybody who had a problem only one and she got herself that drunk that she was unconous by the pool and had to be taken to hospital she was let out later that night but a day later she got the trots and blamed the food.

3. Re: Illness at Hacienda Dominicus!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 December 2010, 06:16