We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bayahibe village and Dominicus village

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
116 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Bayahibe village and Dominicus village

How far are these villages from IHD?

Anything interesting there apart from shops?

Any nice little bars there?

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Bayahibe village and Dominicus village

Dominicus village is a 10 minute walk from Iberostar. From the beach turn right and walk to the public beach access right next door. Follow the road inland that runs up the side of Viva Wynham Palace's wall, then head left and that will bring you into the village. Mostly shops, no beach front bars there except for Tracadero - an up market restaurant and beach club situated way past the Viva Wyndham Beach resort. http://www.tracadero.it

Bayahibe village is less than 8 minute taxi ride from Iberostar. Not much in the way of shops but there are several lovely beach front bars & restaurants to choose from. Bayahibe has two small bays with a "point" in the middle - on the point is an old church and place where you can see the famous "Bayahibe Rose" flowers.

On the bay to the right is Dreams La Romana's beach - you can walk all the way up to it. Along the way: El Cafecito de la Cubana (great mojitos in a shaded spot under the trees), and a couple of seafood restaurants.

On the bay to the left: Captain Kidds bar & restaurant, El Barco, Mare Nostrum. Captain Kidds is our favorite spot at night night when you can sit on the shore listening to the waves gently lapping on the rocks.

Both places are perfectly safe to walk around.

Have fun exploring!

btw El Cafecito is closed on Tuesdays - sorry can't remember what days the other places are closed. Perhaps Demi knows - Denise?

Edited: 02 October 2010, 00:52
Mentioned in this post
Tracadero
Tracadero
322 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Bayahibe
Bayahibe
Dominican Republic
Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,069 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bayahibe village and Dominicus village

I love Capitan Kidd's at sunset too, but my other best option is Issamar or Leidy's on the Bayahibe Beach. I like to go over as of 4 or 4:30 and watch the boats come back and the busy-ness, then as it all settles down and the sun sets over the open water with nothing to obstruct your view. Good and good.

The museum walk at Bayahibe Point is sorely overlooked by tourists. It's extremely beautiful and interesting with a grove of the Rose of Bayahibe as well as the site of the oldest discovered civilization in the Caribbean (2000 BC). You can see more at travel.webshots.com/album/563635864YIXmtH

I think that both townsites are worth exploring when in the area and you have the opportunity, if for nothing else than to see the differences between them! Dominicus is newer, modern and expensive with a representative influence from all of the ex-pats living there. Bayahibe is starting to change as well, but still has the shreds of the old Dominican fishing village that has been there for 100 years.

Kaki

Mentioned in this post
Bayahibe
Bayahibe
Dominican Republic
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
116 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bayahibe village and Dominicus village

Thanks both of you, I will take a look after I have "chilled" from the journey ect.

Sounds far more interesting than the punta cana area (last year)

thanks again I know it takes time to actually post replies

New Jersey
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bayahibe village and Dominicus village

We are arriving at the La Romana Port on the Carnival Miracle in 2 weeks and I can not find much information on it. Will be be able to get a taxi to a public beach in Bayahibe? One of the passenger carries portable oxygen and can walk short distances. Is there a particular beach that would be easier to acess than another. If anyone knows can you tell me after leaving the ship would the taxi's be right there? Where should we tell them to take us? Do you know the approx. distance or cost to the beach? Are there chairs available to rent or should we bring one for our friend to sit in? Is there shade available or should be bring an umbrella? How easy is it to get a cab back to the port? I am sorry for so many questions but I want to be as prepared as I can be so our friend is as comfortable as possible. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
La Romana
La Romana
Dominican Republic
Bayahibe
Bayahibe
Dominican Republic
cocobayahibe
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bayahibe village and Dominicus village

Hi,

There are plenty of taxis from La Romana port. Best beach for you is Bayahibe Beach. the taxi can leave you right in to the beach but is not a large beach. There is plenty of shadow, little cafes with tables and chairs and there also 'traditional deck chair' that you can rent. You can eat some traditional dominican food or if you don't fancy it , there are also some restaurants by the beach a bit further from the actual beach.

Taxis you can wait for you or you can get their number to call them back. Also you can ask them to get you at certain time.

There is another beach in Dominicus, but the public beach it is harder to get as they don't allow cars any more to get close to the beach and you will have to go. There is not as much shadow as in Bayahibe Beach..

Mentioned in this post
La Romana
La Romana
Dominican Republic
Bayahibe
Bayahibe
Dominican Republic
Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,069 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bayahibe village and Dominicus village

When do you dock and when do you leave? There may be a better arrangement for your time in the area...

Kaki

New Jersey
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Bayahibe village and Dominicus village

We are there on 10/21. Our ship docks at 9 and leaves at 5.00 so we would have from around 10-3 to visit. I was in Punta Cana about 4 years ago and loved the beach so thought it would be nice for our son and friends to swim there also. We would probably spend several hours there. I thought if the cabs aren't too expensive we would try to have the driver take us around the town first. We are limited as our friend really can't walk too much.

You have been very helpful and thank you so much for answering so quickly. She was thinking of not getting off the ship and I didn't want that to happen. Your information will be reassuring to her I am sure. Again thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,069 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bayahibe village and Dominicus village

That's shorter than most port stays, I'd say. Take a look at: seavisbayahibe.com/shoreexcursion_e.htm It's a local tour geared to cruisers, offering the best of the area by a highly commended local company.

They also have a host of other outings, land and sea, and something might be arranged if you want to contact the company. They've done it before.

Otherwise, you can get a cab at the port and head over to the Bayahibe Beach. It might be a stretch to go to Punta Cana, 90+ minutes away from the port, but should you want to go to Macao Beach or other beautiful destination there, though it would be a drive through the countryside taking up more than 3 hours of your 5 hours in the area, it's possible! I'd be concerned that you might get a flat tire or run into a glitch while 1.5 hours away and lose some of your day to stress. I'd recommend staying closer to homebase for this whirlwind day. Come back with your family on another visit!

Kaki

Mentioned in this post
Bayahibe
Bayahibe
Dominican Republic
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Macao Beach
Macao Beach
6,997 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
Level Contributor
3,553 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bayahibe village and Dominicus village

I would hire a taxi at the port, they speak English very well (or most of them) and ask to go for a tour around La Romana. I know our taxi driver charges between 80 - 100 USD for up to 5 people for La Romana trip from Bayahibe. So I am guessing you would pay around the same. Go from the port to La Romana, drive around, see the city, your friend doesn't have to go out of the car. Then continue to Bayahibe village to the public beach. The taxi can stop few yards from the actual beach so your friend doesn't have to walk too far. You can hire a chair and as CocoBayahibe said there is plenty of shade. The taxi won't have a problem to wait for you while relaxing on the beach. Then he will take you back to the port.

Happy travel

Denise

Mentioned in this post
La Romana
La Romana
Dominican Republic
Bayahibe
Bayahibe
Dominican Republic
10. Re: Bayahibe village and Dominicus village

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2011, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Bayahibe