We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

resorts within walking distance of bayahibe

Which Bayahibe hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ohio
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Topic
resorts within walking distance of bayahibe

stayed at dreams la romana once and enjoyed walking to bayahibe, are there other resorts close enough to walk?

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,015 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: resorts within walking distance of bayahibe

Not really. That's a benefit to that hotel being situated where it is...it's basically alone. You have a strip of public beach, then a boat beach, then the village of Bayahibe. On the other side is jungle. After crossing Bayahibe when you get to the outskirts, there is a rocky beach and then undeveloped woodland which I don't recommend that you navigate when you don't know the land.

You can easily walk to Bayahibe and grab a gua gua (bus) to Dominicus 10 minutes away and walk the beach there passing the Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach, Viva Palace, Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus, Catalonia Gran Dominicus, Be Live Canoa and then Cadaques Caribe which is more of a rental community as opposed to a resort. Beyond that, you reach the Nacional Parque del Este.

Kaki

Santo Domingo...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: resorts within walking distance of bayahibe

In the future, Bayahibe will have the second resort: a Barceló.

This will be between Dreams and Bayahibe village.

Alberta
Level Contributor
278 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: resorts within walking distance of bayahibe

Monica,

How and where are they going to locate a resort between Dreams and Bayahibe. There is the vendors, the graveyard and some buildings there as well as all the sea excursions? When is it scheduled for construction?

ohio
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: resorts within walking distance of bayahibe

I know, it will really ruin the ambiance if they destroy the little bit of land between dreams and bayahibe...virginia

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,015 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: resorts within walking distance of bayahibe

A hotel in that location has been in the works since 2006. It was originally going to be a Secrets resort, so a sister to Dreams but adults only. There would have been sharing privileges between the properties. It was mapped out for the zone which encompassed the vendors and cemetary. I even saw a site plan.

It had been on the back burner waiting for certain signatures for a long time now, and then a plan was finally set to move the cemetary.

Then the owners of the Dreams hotel sold to what is the owner of the Barcelo hotel. In 2007/2008 there was the chance that Dreams La Romana would actually become a Barcelo hotel. The staff were all in a spin about it! It ended up that much continued the same with the AM Resorts people managing Dreams much the same way it would've been done before with the previous owners. That kind of changed the direction of the Secrets plan for next door.

It seems that most people visiting the DR like the long beach with hotel upon hotel upon hotel. I think that the fact that Dreams is there alone is among its greatest attributes.

I am not holding my breath on the construction of the new hotel happening any time soon, though it's surely going to happen at some time or other. If money is to be made, some company is going to find a way to do it. I hope Monica provides more details if she has them.

Kaki

Alberta
Level Contributor
278 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: resorts within walking distance of bayahibe

Thanks for the info Kaki.

Downers Grove...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: resorts within walking distance of bayahibe

Kaki,

We we think we stayed at this resort in 2006 was it a different name back then? I remember chatting with you before our trip and you highly recommended it. If it is the same do you still recommend it under the new management?

Stan and Diane

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,015 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: resorts within walking distance of bayahibe

Twas Sunscape Casa del Mar then. I loved it then and I love it now, but it has indeed changed. You may not recognize much about it if you return! There have been some improvements and some things are worse, but in general it is just great. I look forward to my return as much now as then!

Are you the ones who were there at the same time I was yet we didn't end up meeting?

Kaki

Downers Grove...
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: resorts within walking distance of bayahibe

Thank You for the clarification. Yes we were there at the same time but never met...Do they still have the spa in the jungle area? what has changed to make it worse?

10. Re: resorts within walking distance of bayahibe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2011, 07:38