We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

IHD Locals using hotel facilities?

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
116 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
IHD Locals using hotel facilities?

In the latest IHD review, the reviewer (Clark01) talks about locals using the hotel, on certain days. What's the arrangement and is it every week?

Dont actually have a problem with this but sounds like it gets busy when they are around?

England
Level Contributor
333 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: IHD Locals using hotel facilities?

Hi Gregoman

The arrangement the hotel operates in my view is if the hotel is well below occupancy then the hotel will fill with local dominican guests. I have no problem with locals using the facilities after all it is their country. It is also good to see them supporting their local businesses. The problem that I have as outlined in my review is that a lot of the local guests were rude, inpatient and pushed in at meal times. This was witnessed by hotel management and they just allowed it to happen. They need to learn some basic manners. Yes at weekends and bank holidays the hotel was extremely busy and if you wanted a quite evening meal then you had to go very early.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,060 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: IHD Locals using hotel facilities?

Dominicans enjoy a party...look at the hotel staff when they're working, how they treat you, see their ready laugh and their senses of humour. If on vacation, imagine how that will translate.

In general, locals don't get any kind of bargain on hotel rooms. There is a minimum price that the hotels have to charge to cover the costs of the room, the maid service, the price of laundering the room's linens, the cost of check in and check out and the food and drink. At a resort like IHD, that price is still pretty high. You can weed out a lot of troublesome guests by staying at the higher priced properties but even in your home country, you know that money doesn't buy good behaviour. The hotel doesn't opt to fill rooms at a loss. If you don't pay the price they require, you won't get in.

I am not defending the Dominicans who come in and disrupt, but I will assert that there are other countries which have a worse reputation at the resorts for their pushyness and rudeness. They can be insulting to the staff and other guests and certainly don't think that the line is for them. There is no way to exclude the bad seed from a hotel, and that includes Dominicans.

Most of the Dominicans and Haitians who stay at the resorts and who were at the IHD when I was are as friendly and congenial as the rest of the guests. And, I might offer that maybe they get pushy or assertive at times because they are actually treated worse by the hotel staff. I've stayed at a few hotels in the country with locals. If they approach the bar to get drinks for us, they are overlooked and ignored in a way that when I approach I am not. My friends have taken it in their stride but I'm offended for them.

I agree that rude and selfish people need to learn basic manners. That applies to no one ethnicity or country, but to Dominicans AND Germans and Russians and French and Canadians and Americans. Some groups are loud and play their own music on the beach or see their own fun in the pool as the only party, slapping the water and pouring drinks over each other. When I've seen that, it wasn't the Dominicans who were doing it.

I actually just remembered one trip I went on when I arrived in the middle of a Dominican party. It was sponsored by Presidente beer and was populated by their staff and a bunch of prize winners from around the DR. Presidente was EVERYwhere. When those people checked out by the end of Sunday, the hotel felt like it was in a vacuum. That group was a lot of fun and energetic, knew how to do the local dances, and offered a different view on life in the hotel which is usually so sterile, to the point that you don't know if you're in Jamaica or the Dominican Republic. You can see a bit more at travel.webshots.com/album/560623893EWsngY

If there is an irritating group from any country, do complain to management to see if there is any way to control it/them, but please don't arrive at the resorts anticipating the worst if you see Dominicans on vacation.

Kaki

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
116 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: IHD Locals using hotel facilities?

Thanks (Clark01) and Kaka for your views.

Think I might like it when its full of locals!

Chris

Santo Domingo...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: IHD Locals using hotel facilities?

Yes, they are locals. But they are paying guests just like the rest.

Please don't think they are entering the Hotel for free, as many people wrongly state. I can guarantee you that there is NOT ONE RESPORT IN THE WHOLOE COUNTRY that lets non-paying guestsenter their premises.

In fact, dominican clients pay much more for 1 night than any other tourists coming through a tour operator.

Pinner
Level Contributor
254 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: IHD Locals using hotel facilities?

Hi, Me again

Didnt notice any locals but there were a number of families speaking spanish. A few of these were from Argentina and other places around Mexico. I walked out of the Japanese restaurant as we were totally ignored by the chef who cooks in from of the tables. My wife was given about 1/3 of the food given to spanish speaking families and we were left to last for everything. Didn't happen in any of the other restaurants.

The spanish speking people were a bit rude and noisy but thats par for the course. I was surprised at how well behave the brits were compared to other nationalites especially some younger US females who sounded as if they were on a trip and hadn't been free of their parents before.

6. Re: IHD Locals using hotel facilities?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2011, 05:16