We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To all solo travellers!!!

Montreal (Québec)
Level Contributor
861 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
To all solo travellers!!!

I am looking to go to Bayahibe for the first time for 10 to 14 days, not decided yet.

I want a great beach and a resort where I will not get bored, that is lively at night. I am also looking for nice rooms. I hear there is a village close by. What are the attractions and day trips recommended?

Which resorts would you recommend and why?

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,039 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To all solo travellers!!!

I have stayed at Dreams La Romana a dozen times as a solo traveler. There is something to do all day and a couple of options at night too. It's a 10 minute walk down the beach to the village of Bayahibe. This hotel is safe and has beautiful rooms.

If there is a hotel in the area that you like, I think it will be fine for you. I've stayed at them all, spending the majority of my time at all hotels alone. I've had a couple of Dominican friends staying with me at a few who worked all day leaving me at the hotel much like a solo traveler at times!

The most popular excursions in the area are trips to the islands of Saona and Catalina. My preferred trip is also the preferred of those here at TripAdvisor, the Seavis Tours Saona Crusoe VIP. http://seavisbayahibe.com/Saona_e.htm My pictures are at travel.webshots.com/album/577077144nIIgGY

You can also do Safari tours into the countryside to learn about the land and culture. Altos de Chavon is a recreated Colonial village atop the Chavon River which is beautiful and interesting but built in the 1980s and not a historic location. You can ride a dune buggy or ATV on a tour of the sugarcane fields and local area, or you can drive a small boat yourself on the Caribbean. If history, culture and architecture is of interest, spend a day visiting Santo Domingo. If on the Seavis website, you can see a bunch of suggested tours down the right side of the page.

Kaki

Montreal (Québec)
Level Contributor
861 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To all solo travellers!!!

And why do you prefer Dreams La Romana over the others?

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,039 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To all solo travellers!!!

I think that Dreams offers the best of everything in the area over the others.

It's a personal review and choice, but there are more restaurants, available without reservations, there is a published cocktail list which is extensive and includes about 3 times as many available drinks as the other hotels. I personally like that the hotel is alone on that beach instead of having people staying at other hotels and the beach bar of another hotel in my pictures of the beach. I have been returning for 6 years to Dreams for the snorkeling which is a priority for me, and the comfort level I have there. I see a secure presence at Dreams that I don't notice at the other hotels, with security and management walking the grounds by day and night. They may be monitoring the scene at the other hotels, but the visible presence is comforting. I also like the proximity to Bayahibe which I prefer for its ambiance over Dominicus.

It's a combination of a few things!

Kaki

La Romana...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: To all solo travellers!!!

Maya,

All hotels are fine and SAFE. They vary on prices as some have better rooms, modern facilities, etc, but more or less you get the same in all the hotels. All inclusive, food and drinks 24 hrs, aerobics in the morning, dancing contest, shows at nights, events at the pool, theme days and nights.

Dreams advantage is that is the closest to Bayahibe so for a chance of scenery and blend with the locals is convenient.

Its is the most expensive but also is depends what you looking for.

Regarding the excursions the most popular is Saona islands and there are different ways of doing it. You can use the big catamaran choice and you come back on the speed boat. This is the most popular way of making the trip and the cheapest as they get lots of people. You may be lucky and don't get so many the day you go.This choice is not bad. You get a nice choice of buffet, all drinks inclusive and you spend time in Saona and a stop at natural swimming pool.

There are other ways of making the trip which there are plenty of companies who do it which are more privately. They usually go to more isolated beaches and reach Saona village, Mano Juan. They usually involve some snorkeling. You also have food and they give you the choice of grilled fish and lobster.

Most of the companies organise quiet well this trip. It is more expensive from the catamaran one. You can get it from the hotels and outsite the hotels. Companies like Mariposa tours, Seavis, villa Baya, Banana tours, Rianna tours, Coligrin tours, etc....

Your other option is rent a boat from the village privately and will take you where ever you want. As the price is per boat not per person, if you do it on your own it will be the most expensive option, but if you gather a group it may be the cheapest!!!

Locals are quiet friendly and of course being a female solo traveller will be very keen to show you around.

You have plenty of choices to doing eco tours through Chavon river, visiting sugar cane plantation, rent a 4 wheels, horse riding, diving, snorkeling trips, Boca de Yuma, Caves,,,,,plenty to do

5. Re: To all solo travellers!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2011, 05:16