We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is footwear advisable for beach at Dreams La Romana?

Toronto
Level Contributor
193 posts
27 reviews
60 helpful votes
Is footwear advisable for beach at Dreams La Romana?

The last review mentions concrete under the sand on the beach. I am just curious if I should pack watershoes for the family. Last year we went to Punta Cana and there we definately did not need them. From pictures the sand looks quite soft so any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

illinois
Level Contributor
79 posts
13 reviews
71 helpful votes
1. Re: Is footwear advisable for beach at Dreams La Romana?

I stayed there when it was sunspree resort, and you will find it the softest nicest beach you can amagine. Best water in the Dom Rep in my opinion

illinois
Level Contributor
79 posts
13 reviews
71 helpful votes
2. Re: Is footwear advisable for beach at Dreams La Romana?

I stayed there when it was sunspree resort, and you will find it the softest nicest beach you can amagine. Best water in the Dom Rep in my opinion

Spruce Grove, Canada
Level Contributor
512 posts
153 reviews
105 helpful votes
3. Re: Is footwear advisable for beach at Dreams La Romana?

I just read that review also that said there was concrete under the sand and I had to laugh. I did not see or feel and concrete when I was there in Nov/10. I'm late on my review and should send it away this weekend, but I can assure you that the beach area is more than sufficient for a holiday. If you Google the resort, you can clearly see the length and depth of the resort. The sand ends at the Preferred beach area which is just down the steps from the Seaside grill/Portofino/Bordeaux/TeenZone building. The shore to the west, is all rock but very beautiful for pictures and sunsets. I do believe that sand was placed/trucked in to the resort years ago since the colour does change from the Dreams side to the public side on the east border. The locals use the public beach a lot and on the weekends it is packed so it does seem fine for them. From the east border to the preferred beach area the sand is clean and rock free. The palm trees allow lots of natural shade and there are a lot of loungers. We walked down the beach to Bayahibe a number of times and were ok with the walk even though the beach is not maintained in front of the cementary and local houses. The path can be walked with sandals or water shoes, I don't recommend bare feet. I recommend water shoes or sandals since you will be walking on concrete walkways to your room and the concrete can get very hot. The wood on the stairs is stained dark brown and they get hot also. The winds blow primarily off shore so strong wave action is not apparent along the beach. You can see my videos along the shore line to see what I mean. Enjoy!

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,086 posts
10 reviews
113 helpful votes
4. Re: Is footwear advisable for beach at Dreams La Romana?

I absolutely recommend that you have a pair of shoes for all situations, among them solid walking sandals, easy wear beach thongs, and water shoes. If you intend to snorkel or do the ocean water aerobics, I doubly recommend it. It is the ocean and there are water currents that can bring in anything with the tide. When alive and healthy, the black spiny urchins shouldn't be an issue, but when they break free from the reef or are moving between reefs, that's the last thing you want to step on (and people do...make sure that you go to the resort doctor to clean and disinfect the wound and ensure that all pieces have been removed even if you think you have removed it all yourself). …webshots.com/photo/2704117700064234328nVaHOm Not so spiny, but to preserve them and yourself, you'll want to watch for the traditional urchins that would hurt if you stand on them: …webshots.com/photo/2915195660064234328dFdDSB Another caution is to watch irritating the sand diver: …webshots.com/photo/2839409880064234328xxOEvW They burrow under the sand and eat fish. Who's to say your foot wouldn't look like a fish? Of course we comb the sandy shore looking for shells and pieces of coral which come in with the waves too and make for discomfort when you step down on them.

People harvest these shells and beach stones and then leave them at their loungers. I hate having to put shoes on ever for anything, but I'd suggest learning where the trouble areas are on the beach before going shoeless since dragging your toes through the soft warm sand looking for the cool beneath the surface loses its charm when you hit somebody's makeshift buried ashtray or a collection of beach shells and stones. Wood can splinter and I just don't enjoy using the beach washroom barefoot. See what your comfort zone is.

There has been some sand added to the beach since the tides take as much sand away as they bring in. While sand is naturally in the area, there is an underbed of coral which was revealed during the hurricane season of 2008 when I was at the hotel. …webshots.com/photo/2660842140064234328qNYPTN It is because of the coral reefs in the area that the snorkeling is good at this hotel. It also means that there isn't 2 feet of sand for the entire stretch of beach like at some hotels (but there is in most areas). There is an area in front of the beach bar where there is a base of concrete under the sand. It supports the sand in that unstable area and ensures that the beach bar is stable. There is a surround to the beach barbecue too where you may find concrete under the sand if you brush it away. It is NOT under the sand where they set up the beach volleyball nets and shouldn't cause any danger, but the sand can get brushed away from the dance classes or aerobics, and you'll want to beware of your footing.

If you leave the property, definitely bring some sandals with you. The public beach and path to Bayahibe may be littered with garbage, twigs, broken glass and fish bones. Beach or water shoes that have grippers are great for exploring the undeveloped coast beyond the Seaside Grill, allowing you to walk into the water when there's something interesting there.

Kaki

Richmond VA
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
7 helpful votes
5. Re: Is footwear advisable for beach at Dreams La Romana?

I highly recommend water shoes as I stepped on a black spiney sea urchin, when I was there last year,while just standing 10 feet off the beach in shallow sandy water. Six quills had to be removed from the bottom of my foot which was extrememly painful. I'll be happy to send you a pair of water shoes just so you dont have to see the local clinic! Not the best place for medical attention! Luckily it was the last day of my trip so didnt ruin the whole vacation. Better to be safe than sorry next time!

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,633 posts
12 reviews
155 helpful votes
6. Re: Is footwear advisable for beach at Dreams La Romana?

Kaki has said all that needs to be said, as usual ;)

I will add my 1/2 cent for what it is worth. The only time I wore my shoes while there was walking on the boardwalk as it was HOT, going to the washroom as you just never know and of course going to get something to eat.

The sand is lovely & soft for the most part. The only place it was a little rocky, twiggy, rooty was by the entrance to the pier/boardwalk.

I would return to Dream La Romana in a heart beat!

Midland, Canada
Level Contributor
3,468 posts
5 reviews
27 helpful votes
7. Re: Is footwear advisable for beach at Dreams La Romana?

I have never needed water shoes or any other footwear to walk the beach.

8. Re: Is footwear advisable for beach at Dreams La Romana?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2012, 07:16