We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My visit to Cadaques Caribe--Jan 28 to Feb 4

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,050 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
My visit to Cadaques Caribe--Jan 28 to Feb 4

After my 25 hours in the air and airports and a guilt trip laid upon me by a WestJet staffer for not giving up my seat so a family could sit together (I planned ahead and wanted THAT seat, they didn't prebook...how does that make me wrong?), we landed uneventfully at La Romana. Processed the forms (they've added a new one since August) and luggage collection (airport staff removes the luggage as it appears on the carousel so you just have to walk up and take yours, no waiting for the spinning wheel), I boarded the bus with the biggest bunch of complainers I've had the privilege of traveling with. One bright faced girl got on after them remarking on how wonderful it all was and I embraced her as my own. It was fun having a friend for the drive since the 25 minutes turned into about 2 hours. As we approached the Chavon represa, we found a traffic incident. One of those big gas trucks had lost power and was stalled--in the middle of the road--just a bit down the hill from this: …webshots.com/photo/2397396150064234328TbiWfs It stopped traffic both ways for over an hour as a grader tried to push it off the road. We were stopped pretty much exactly at this spot …webshots.com/photo/2137196500064234328uexkRN so had a great view of it all, made better when we all got out of the bus to hang out roadside with a varied cross section of road travelers.

I arrived at Cadaques Caribe after sunset because of this so found a lovely little village of buildings without much meaning to me at this point so I enjoyed my "first night at a new hotel" feeling of disorientation and getting lost. I find that's the best way to find the shortcuts and to know for sure which paths NOT to take while looking for the correct one.

This is a new non-All Inclusive property of apartments. It's relatively small so there aren't a bunch of people buzzing around, very peaceful and tranquil but those I've encountered seem up for a good time (it was karaoke night on the beach). I had a grilled chicken breast with a few grilled veggies which was all extremely delightful when beside the beach and watching a profile of Dominican musicians on the big screen. As a non AI, I had to pay $2 for the water I got with dinner. Not surprising, but good to know. They include the tip and tax (a total of 26%) in the price that is quoted on the bill they present.

The apartment that I was lucky enough to secure sleeps 5, has a kitchen, living room, dining table, bathroom with shower (with hot water which isn't always a given in off-resort accommodations), a good amount of storage and a most charming loft bedroom up a flight of stairs. It's beautifully appointed with one of my favourite themes and certainly appropriate for what it is...representations of the water world. There are lots of shells and lighthouses and fish and seaweed and warm sand colours. It goes for $80 a night. Of course I'll have pictures to share! It is located between jungle on one side and the National Park on the other. Pricier than the resorts, but for an exclusive place like this is, it's not surprising (again) that the internet is $20 a day or $50 a week. I'm about to watch a friend's group performing through a live stream so being able to catch that pays for the internet cost in itself.

The staff seems great, but I expected nothing less. Repecion speaks great English but the dining room servers seem to not speak any. (English is about the 4th used language in this area of Bayahibe.) The menu is entirely in Spanish and the quoted prices are in pesos. I've seen one fellow who used to work at Dreams La Romana, making the place feel familiar and homey.

I'm here until February 4 when I move on to the Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace.

Kaki

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
13,161 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My visit to Cadaques Caribe--Jan 28 to Feb 4

So glad to hear that you have arrived safe and sound!

Can't wait to hear and SEE more of your adventure!

Happy Travels!

bb/mt

canada
Level Contributor
3,793 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My visit to Cadaques Caribe--Jan 28 to Feb 4

hey!! glad you arrived safely..i wouldn't have given up my seat either! if people want to sit together..then prebook. geez.

anyway hope you have a great week..i am of course going to be following your posts!! see you next week!!

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,050 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My visit to Cadaques Caribe--Jan 28 to Feb 4

Thanks MT, you're always so generous!

Thanks for the note, Lynn! See you next week for sure.

Cadaques Caribe, being different from the standard Dominican fare, isn't well known or much advertised to English speakers (I'm basically living in Little Italy). I like the abundance of Italian because I can close my eyes on the beach or pier and hear sounds wafting around me which have no meaning. I find that when I'm too close to English speakers when dining or relaxing I can sometimes get distracted or caught up in their conversation even though I don't want to. When you don't speak the language, it's not an issue.

Somebody asked if there is a spa here, and yes there is. Though I'm relaxed, the occipital headache I'm sporting may have me visit it in the coming days. While I suspect it's just doing the polish, a mani AND pedi is $21. I asked the question but don't think the woman understood me.

The waterpark is indeed open and looks fabulous! The cost is $10 and right now they're only opening it on Saturdays.

Also of note, you receive with the unit 80 kb of electricity a day so you really think about whether you want to run the AC all day, etc. I'm learning from the things that they charge for here just what is included in the packages of all inclusives. At another hotel I wouldn't expect some extras, but this feels more resort-like.

I don't expect many more questions since people probably don't know what to ask, but I'll let you know when I encounter anything interesting. You can take a "bus" around the property if you feel inclined. I don't need it at all but as the golf cart went by and the driver called out my name, I took the ride to reception. You just call if you want them to come collect you from anywhere and take you anywhere. I have friends coming for me at 8 and was told to give a call and the cart would pick me up, but I think I can manage the 5 minute walk on my own! I'll be buying water and things like that in town, so the ride back might be much appreciated.

Kaki

Spruce Grove, Canada
Level Contributor
497 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My visit to Cadaques Caribe--Jan 28 to Feb 4

Hi Kaki!

Love your positive attitude to the challenges. Your pictures of the bridge over the Chavon River perfectly reminded me of our Seavis truck tour wherein the ended with a float ride down the Chavon River and disembarked right at the gravel parking lot shown on the other side of the river. It was getting very dark when we arrived and it was surprising to see the peddlars working the crowd, as well as a beggar with no legs dragging himself around asking for a handout. It looks much better in the daylight. You picked a good time to be away from Saskatoon. Minus 24c for a high today with a windchill of minus 38c.

Terry

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,050 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My visit to Cadaques Caribe--Jan 28 to Feb 4

Thanks for the confirmation, Terry! The timing doesn't always work, but it was on my side for this weekend! When I left home, it was relatively mild and I could get away with the minimal clothes that I prefer to travel in during the winter. I heard that it was going to freeze up for the weekend and knowing that it has makes the big bucks for the trip a bit easier to swallow!

If life were uneventful, what stories would we ever tell? "I went there. It was nice. I came home." We only remember things that "happen" so I love it when I get to live a moment!

Kaki

ireland
Level Contributor
753 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My visit to Cadaques Caribe--Jan 28 to Feb 4

That is great to hear i have been looking for someinfomration on this resort for our next visit which hopefuly wont be too long.

The picture that i have seen look very nice can't wait to see yours.Is there many place around there to eat i know it is in Domicus but that last time we were there we did not get time to go in?

Is it possible to walk into the village of Bayhaibe?

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,050 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My visit to Cadaques Caribe--Jan 28 to Feb 4

At the property itself, they have a little coffee shop with some pastries and then there's one restaurant. They offer a pricey buffet (I was told $45 per person) or you can order a la carte. The menu has starters and main courses. As is often the case with a "meal" in the DR, they're scant on vegetables so a starter salad might be in order to cover off your food groups.

There is a mini market here which sells some snacks and basics, as well as a deli counter which when I went in was unmanned and I didn't see where the meat and cheese was cut up and laid out, but it was there in the big pieces behind the glass. I'll have to look into it again. The only water that they sell is in the small portable sizes (591 ml, 20 oz) and not the large jug (though it is there on the shelf, but not for sale) and it's 50 pesos a bottle ($1.35 US).

I supplied myself at the market in Bayahibe. You could take the gua gua out and then a cab back with your goods if you had that much. That was where I bought the big bottle of water (5 litres, 1.36 gallons) for 70 pesos ($2), the big jug of drinkable yogurt, sliced cheese (they call it "Queso Dane" but it tastes just like my favourite cheese curds from my childhood...mild and salty), sliced ham, body lotion (which I forgot at home along with my sunscreen), a 6-pack of cerveza, some cloths to use in the shower, some tissues, a lip balm, a litre of orange juice, 2 bottles of jam (mango and passionfruit!!)...for the equivalent of $48.

You can get to Dominicus by the gua gua if before about 8 p.m. but then you'd have to take a cab back. I'd not recommend that anybody walk that road by day with the speeding traffic and the lack of shoulders, but certainly not at night. You could ensure that you have water and a hat and walk via the beach but depending on how fast you walk it could take 20 - 30 minutes, and again entirely not recommended after dark. I thought it was further based on how long it took me to walk from the Canoa (the nearest neighbour to this one), but all walks take me a long time due to the picture taking! You can clearly see the Iberostar lighthouse from the Cadaques pier which showed me that it's not as far as I thought.

You can walk from Dominicus to Bayahibe, but unless you were with someone who knew the route the first time, I'd not recommend that either. You have to go through the woods on a horse trail and you might encounter some moments of discomfort as you pass squatters' homes and, I hear on reliable authority, possibly a drug exchange. I know that happened quietly in the woods around my childhood home and it doesn't make the area any more dangerous than any other cities where drugs are consumed, but I don't choose to watch it shaking down, especially where the Dominican system cracks down so heavily on drugs. I'd not want to be confused with having any part of what was happening. The path comes to forks periodically and though reason might suggest that you select one, the other was actually the one you wanted. Those I know who do this walk tend to have a dog (or two!) with them, or are at least a man and woman who've done the walks many times before.

Kaki

8. Re: My visit to Cadaques Caribe--Jan 28 to Feb 4

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2012, 11:19
Get answers to your questions about Bayahibe
Recent Conversations