We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another peso vs dollar question

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,338 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Another peso vs dollar question

We go off resort a lot to explore, trinket shop, bar hop and eat in local restaurants. Do they price in both us and peso's? I usually try to figure out if it's more beneficial to pay in pesos or dollars and try to pay with local currency as much as I can.

I have had too many atm's in tooo many different countries either eat my card or run out of money, so I like to exchange before I go.

Midland, Canada
Level Contributor
3,468 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another peso vs dollar question

You should always use the currency of the country you are in. ATM's are far more reliable today than they were say 5 years ago. I have never had an ATM issue in the DR.

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,228 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another peso vs dollar question

Use pesos off the resort. If using dollars you will pay more. Your change will be in pesos and at a poor rate. Use your ATM card for pesos when you need. However you should contact your bank about your plans to travel to the DR otherwise they will put a hold on the card fearing fraud. Secondly use ATMs that are attached to or in a bank if you can so if there is a problem there is a chance that you can take care of it then.

BObK

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,338 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another peso vs dollar question

Very good.

What about tipping? Some places prefer dollars. I usually bring $2 bills for tipping, but if workers would rather pesos-- will go that route.

Typical exchange rate 37 to 1 for US dollar?

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
42,043 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another peso vs dollar question

You can tip in pesos or dollars. In my view, it's best to tip in pesos. They can save it or spend it right away. In my experience with staff at our place, they prefer pesos. When they get dollars, they either end up exchanging for a lower rate to one of their friends or asks us to exchange.

As to ATMs keeping your card, look for one that you can just swipe your card. I use BanReservas ATMs for this reason. Otherwise, use an ATM of a bank during business hours.

Yes, the rate is RD$37.40 per US$.

Happy travels,

Silvia

Northumberland...
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another peso vs dollar question

We found that everything 'off resort' was priced in peso, and if you pay in dollars they convert it for you at the till. So If you wish to pay in dollars then ask the person at the cashier for the exchange rate they are using.

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,228 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another peso vs dollar question

Tip in pesos is great but remember the exchange rate like Silvia said. If you are gonig to tip $5 then you need to leave 187 pesos.

Also not sure if you ment you leave $2 bills as in actualy 2 dollar bill. if so don't do that here. Most banks and such have never seen a $2 bill and may very well not accept it.

BObK

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,338 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Another peso vs dollar question

Gracias-exactly the info I was looking for.

In Mexico some folks say the $2 bills are considered by many as being lucky. Mostly leave them for a novelty as people think they are kind of cool.

I prefer to use the currency of the country I am visiting. Just makes more sense.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,036 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Another peso vs dollar question

This week they were converting at between 35 and 37 pesos to the dollar. That looseness confirms that you'd want to avoid conversions if possible. Off resort Bayahibe and Dominicus is also often priced in the Euro for the Italians. The peso is definitely the standard though, with the US dollar being used at the La Romana airport.

Kaki

9. Re: Another peso vs dollar question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2012, 05:19