We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Be Live Canoa & Italian Only Facilities?

Which Bayahibe hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
pa
Level Contributor
152 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Be Live Canoa & Italian Only Facilities?

Dear TA Members,

My family and I would like to try out the Be live Canoa for a change of pace. We have stayed at the Marion 3 times and the last 2 times it was getting a bit rundown and service not so good, the third time was the worst. I have been reading reviews about the Canoa and I came across this recent review from a poster who stayed at the Canoa here is a part of their review:

"I was extremely angered with the hotel when the rep at our meeting stated that there was an "Italian" side. They have their own auditorium, restaurant, bar and beach that require you to be Italian to use. The Italians were identified by their 'blue' bands!!

Does any one know if this is true? It is o.k. for people to have their own clubs etc.. but this is a resort that I will be paying to stay at and I would like to use all of the facilities. This sounds hard to believe! Can anyone else confirm this?

Best Regards

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,034 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Be Live Canoa & Italian Only Facilities?

I don't know all of the details of the club, but saying that they have their own "side" making you feel like you're missing out on drastic amounts of the hotel is rather overstating it. It is a block at the beach which is maintained by the Italian tour companies predominantly for the Italians. They have their own evening show in Italian, but if you choose to see it you are free to do so. I like seeing other countries interacting with their own people so it might be fun to check it out, but not being an Italian speaker and not getting their humour (I've tried! it's just not me) I don't choose to go to their show when there's an English language show in another theatre close by. There is a restaurant there which I think all are free to use, you certainly can at lunch but it's by reservation only and I've never applied myself to making that reservation so couldn't partake but it wasn't because I wasn't Italian. There is a bar there, which is one of two near the beach (the other is the swim up bar at the pool which you can walk up to as well) and I have used the bar. You are not excluded from that. In February, my friend and I sat among the Italians in the "Italian section" (which isn't marked or barricaded, you just feel like you've found it) of the beach and nobody looked at our wristbands or gave us attitude but we were aware that if we were in "their" area we might be bounced. Again, you are surrounded by Italians with their loud conversation in a language I didn't understand and the speaker nearby played music targeted to them, including a dance song which all of the children were doing randomly by their loungers that meant nothing to us, but we were clearly free to use the area.

I understand your concern about being cut off from an area of the hotel, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. You don't know how much they paid for their vacation and most hotels have areas which aren't accessible to all, offered only to those who paid more. People regularly go to hotels, like the Viva Wyndham in Dominicus, and come away surprised at how many Italians there are at the hotel and how left out they felt whereas in this case, you know in advance that there will be a lot of Italians and that they are being attended to in a particular area leaving more of the rest of the hotel to those who don't wish to attend the Italian show. At the Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace I went to the evening show on that side (the main show is at the Beach) and it was a one man show entirely in Italian. I didn't know that and spent time sitting there waiting for the show to start and it took about 10 minutes into the show before I realized that it was not anything that I was gaining benefit from. I'd rather be told in advance so I know what to expect. (This is all about Italians, but many resorts tend to attract people from certain countries and if you aren't one of those people, you feel left out by the lack of use of your language or the apparent cultural differences in rudeness, amount of alcohol consumed, inappropriate attire, etc. In this case, you know what to expect and how it will be presented to you.)

Kaki

pa
Level Contributor
152 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Be Live Canoa & Italian Only Facilities?

Thanks for your reply. I have been all over the world and love to try different foods and learn about and spend time with different cultures. I just wanted to make sure I was not paying to stay at the resort and then would not be able to have access to good restaurants or bars or pools etc. Happy Easter :-)

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
Level Contributor
3,253 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Be Live Canoa & Italian Only Facilities?

We have had many clients at Canoa and nobody even said that the Italian guests had own parts of the resort or they were not allowed to use some restaurants or facilities.

The truth is, in the past the majority of the guests were Italians, but it has been changing lately, I've seen many Canadians and American there too.

Happy travel

Denise

pa
Level Contributor
152 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Be Live Canoa & Italian Only Facilities?

Thank you :-) I kook forward to going!

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
80 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Be Live Canoa & Italian Only Facilities?

Hi Morwena:

I will be there next week (4-8) so I'll make sure to post my experience. I'm sure it will be great.

Regards

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
80 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Be Live Canoa & Italian Only Facilities?

Another bad review has been posted...

nashville
Level Contributor
52 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Be Live Canoa & Italian Only Facilities?

I know, I saw the latest review... I will be there the 8-13, and I will post stuff. I am a fairly laid back customer, and will most likely find a way around having to wait at the Bar for a drink, mainly because I am a girl traveling with my sister...something about single ladies and good tips always gets good service. I am trying not to let the reviews bother me, the way I see it is, its my vacation, I will make or break it not anyone else...

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
Level Contributor
3,253 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Be Live Canoa & Italian Only Facilities?

Don't forget you are on a vacation, so where is the rush? (complain about a long wait)

Also the vacation is what you make out of it even with some minor glitches you might have a great time. Relax, enjoy the sun and the beach.

When we came here first time one of the Dominicans told us:

"You have watch, we have time"

So think about it while waiting for a drink :)

Have a great vacation

Denise

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,034 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Be Live Canoa & Italian Only Facilities?

When you find that you're at a bar that's working on Dominican time or where it's particularly busy, anticipate your needs and start trying to order when you have 1/3 of your drink left. If you find that they're super slow, keep the drinks easy too. A friend of mine likes a vodka and cranberry with a splash of orange juice. You'll get more satisfaction if you keep it simple. When they'd forget the OJ and just bring the vodka and cranberry, she'd have to find a way to laugh it off and drink what she had. If you want a well mixed drink, you really might have to pay for it. Dreams rarely gets these things wrong compared to the Viva and Canoa, but you're paying 25% to 35% more for the food/drink/lodging at Dreams. That doesn't mean you should be given trash elsewhere (and you aren't), but you may have to keep your expectations in check.

The bulk of the complaints in the recent poor review came nowhere near my experience on two different stays at this hotel. We all have our individual experiences and mine has been good at this hotel (particularly with guest services!), but it's not the best that's out there. Those visiting the hotel can get a trend by the reviews of what to expect, good and bad. The more people that you have in your group and the more rooms you've booked, the more problems you'll encounter.

Kaki

Santo Domingo...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Be Live Canoa & Italian Only Facilities?

Hi when you are coming?