We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another Dreams dress code question

Which Bayahibe hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Weybridge, United...
11 posts
Save Topic
Another Dreams dress code question

Hi

Asked this in someone else's thread but didn't get an answer so guess I should ask in my own :)

I'm taking the family on their first long haul holiday to Dreams in a few weeks and trying to get the holiday wardrobe together....

On the dress code for "casual elegance" can anyone confirm if a polo shirt is acceptable wear. I'm a little short on short sleeved formal shirts

I also assume the dress code doesn't apply to young children, in the restaurants that they are allowed ?

Thanks

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,031 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another Dreams dress code question

A polo shirt is fine and the dress code is a bit less restrictive for children, but they are still free to enforce it if they feel that the options have been taken too far.

As a general bit of advice on the dress codes for the many who have questions about them, with children and adults, it's best to bear in mind the spirit of the thing when making clothing decisions. If you don't want to wear what's dictated, you have a couple of casual options so it's not that you'll be without food or have the opportunity at selection taken away from you. The goal is to give everybody options. If you want to dress and have a more fine dining experience, the hotel is trying to offer that, and for those who enjoy the elevated feel of dressing for dinner, they usually appreciate that others have taken the same approach. If you like shorts and sandals at dinner, you can do that too. If your 12 year old doesn't appreciate having to put on a button down, he can enjoy the casual meal he wants elsewhere. If you don't like "dressing up" and want to wear jeans and sneakers to the restaurant, just remember that it will be stinking hot most of the time and an investment in an inexpensive pair of cotton or linen pants and a light huarache style sandal might suit the code and the weather. Over the last 6 years I've heard a bunch of reasons why people don't want to wear the dress code and a bunch of interesting suggestions for clothing, but it needn't be that much drudgery with a bit of planning. You actually only need one "outfit". You can change clothes as soon as you've finished dinner if the code is too restrictive, keeping the garments fresh for another meal the next day. After 2, 3 or 4 wearings, you can get your shirt and pants cleaned by the hotel for a reasonable price under the circumstances (about $10) and keep going.

Kaki

Spruce Grove, Canada
Level Contributor
493 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another Dreams dress code question

Kaki:

That was a great post. I love your Saskatchewan common sense approach. Heading off to Jan Lake on the Hanson Lake Road this Sunday. All the best.

Weybridge, United...
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Another Dreams dress code question

Kaki

I really appreciate you taking the time to provide such a comprehensive answer !

Our kids (9 and 6) love eating out and we take them to many, varied restaurants in the UK. We want to experience as many of the a la cartes as possible whilst we are at Dreams so wanted to ensure we had the right clothes so we don't get turned away from any. I'll make sure my 9 year old son has a few shirts and a pair of trousers\chinos packed.

We are all for getting into the spirit of things and "dressing" for dinner. Its our anniversary on one of the nights so hoping to set up something special then, although we want the kids with us for that so not sure the Lobster on the pier will be do-able :)

4 and a half weeks away now !

Virginia
Level Contributor
40 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another Dreams dress code question

I'm at Dreams now, and it seems they are looser with children's attire. I have seen children wearing shorts in the restaurants requesting long pants, and my little 3 year old son has worn shorts twice to those restaurants. I picked his nicest shorts/rompers and he is quite young, so maybe given extra leeway. My older children are girls and have no trouble wearing skirts, sundresses or the like. All the kids worse sandals. My husband has worn jeans and khakis. As for cleaning clothes, I was surprised that simple laundry services are $3-5 per item for a wash and dry; just one pair of underwear would be $5. Not sure what children's clothes would cost, but I assume comparable. I did pack one pair of pants for my son, but he spilled on them, so bear the inevitable spills in mind when packing for kids. Think dark and quick-dry in case you end up hand washing.

5. Re: Another Dreams dress code question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 00:16