We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dreams La Romana Info Needed Please!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Dreams La Romana Info Needed Please!!

Hi all,

Myself and partner visited Dreams in March 2010 and fell in love with the resort so were back in August for a couple of weeks.

If got a few questions and it would be great if some of you guys out there could give me so more info!

Firstly, we have decided to go preferred club, i've read a few articles that claim it's not worth upgrading, what does everyone think? Myself and partner aren't the kind that will be doing star jumps in the sea or running around with the chicken hat on ;) were more the reserved type and like a nice lil quiet spot. However we found the beach and infinity pools more than satisfying, in fact they were just about perfect! Are the extra amenities in PC worth it, what sort of extra things do you get?

When we booked we booked via bluebay travel who apparently represents as the company who mainly deal with dreams and the popular companies thomson, thomas cook etc. The lady that booked up for us claimed to know the management well and has told us we 'should' be in block 5, top floor with a sea view. Has anyone stayed in this block/room before?

Next, i think i know where the PC beach section is, is it right next to the pier near the rocks? Where theres only a tiny section of sand leading to the sea? Not that I mind this as im dying to try snorkelling out, bottled last year but will not miss out this time... are the rocks, coral and pier best to go snorkelling? Im a novice and although really want to see all the sea life, whats the chances of getting eaten alive by a shark, barracuda or stung by a ray?? Again, more info would be greatly appreciated!!!

Erm, what else....oh yeah, fishing! Can you hire rods and bait off the hotel and fish off the end of the pier? I know you can do days/half days on the beach for around $100 based on what you actually want to do. But can you just do it off the pier for free?

And last but not least, the food. Myself and my partner where fine with the food, i know some people complainig till there blue in the face about the food here but i personally think it was great, especially for the Dominican Republic. However my partners mum and grandmother are meeting us out there half way through the first week and although i can remember what was on offer i don't suppose anyone out there has got pics of menus or can remember the options at the different restaurants?

Thanks for reading guys and thanks in advance to those with more info!!

Sam (Dreams Lover)

UK
Level Contributor
907 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dreams La Romana Info Needed Please!!

Hi,

Its all down to what you want.

We met people from all over the World whilst we were at Dreams with what seemed a 60/40 spilt in favour of Europeans at the time (late April). Most guests we spoke to seemed happy with what they got,not everyone,but in general,most folk we spoke thought the extra outlay was worth it. Has to be said though we met very few Brits who had done it,but thats not to say anyone missed out or wished they had never done it.

We asked for block 7 on the upper floor, and we had a lovely room looking out over the jungle,we also had a fantastic sunset every night,and very little noise at night apart from a few doors banging in the corridors at night. Our room had a huge bed,with more pillows than you could ever need,plenty of cupboard space and a massive walk in shower, we also had a TV that actually worked. We had a balcony, a fridge full of ice cold beer and, after a good tip, as much Brugal rum as Hubby wanted.

My point is, we as couple where more than happy with what we got for our money,as where the vast majority of guests. As for the snorkeling,Hubby is a snorkling nut,he said most of the fish at Dreams seemed to be either under the Pier (No fishing allowed btw) or, on the reef opposite it because they get fed be the guests. The small Private beach for the PC was exactly that,small and private,although some folk walked right through it to be honest..

Million dollar question is,if we ever returned to Dreams would we upgrade to the Prefared Club ?

It's tempting..,but no thanks.

Noodles x

London, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dreams La Romana Info Needed Please!!

Hey Noodles,

Thanks for the feedback, block 7 sounds very nice and I wouldn't mind ending up in there when we check in! I never really thought about it but I guess seeing as its block number 7 its furthest away from most of the hustle and bustle!

I'm not sure if you've stayed in just a deluxe room but when we did last year, to be honest it was fantastic so i'm kinda hoping preferred club makes up for it in other ways as i've heard the rooms are pretty similar its more about the extra amenities etc.

Shame about the fishing, guess i'll just have to spend a day off on a boat...i'm sure my other half will love that :)

Either way can't wait to be there. Thanks again for much appreciate info!

Sam

UK
Level Contributor
907 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dreams La Romana Info Needed Please!!

Hello,

If its what you want you GO for it girl !

After doing our homework on here,we e-mailed the Hotel. They DO look after you. Our room was lovely,we had mature guests either side which helped, because the walls are a bit thin. We also spent time exploring the reefs out at sea via a trip we where offered as we walked into Bayahibe,brilliant. !

We also spent time near the rocky section near to block 7 where all the weddings happen,how sweet that was.

Enjoy your trip,and give all the staff a hug,they all deserve one.

Noodles x

Liverpool
Level Contributor
160 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dreams La Romana Info Needed Please!!

We would also give another thumbs up for block 7, upper floor. This is the preferred section, although we didn't pay for the upgrade. We found our room very quiet and had no issues with noise whatsoever. For us the extra you had to pay for the preferred was simply not worth it. I would rather use that money to go for a weekend away or spend it on more trips while there. In basic terms (but people who pay the extra will probably disagree) you get free WFI (which we would not use while away), the extra preferred pool and the use of preferred clubroom for snacks and drinks. If you like more peace and quiet you may prefer to use the preferred pool and the clubroom but for us with a 6yr old, the clubroom was too deserted so we would have felt uneasy if our son had of made too much noise in there. Also if the resort is full to capacity when you go you may notice the difference at the preferred pool but for us when we went the resort was not too busy at all. The infinity pool was always peaceful and the 2nd week we were there some days we had the main pool to ourselves. (fantastic)

The preferred beach is horrible, raised up from the beach and had building work being carried out while we were there. God knows why anyone was using it but people were!

Lots of people will be able to give you the other side of the coin but for us like Noodles if we went back (and we would love to) we would not be paying the extra as the resort is good enough without it.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,053 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dreams La Romana Info Needed Please!!

One of my favourite things about this hotel is the layout. You're never far from anything and if you are from from something it's because you're close to something else. :-p You can get great views from each building whether you paid for an upgrade or not. For me, building 7 is too far away! I was assigned there once and changed rooms. I even had an oceanfront first floor room in that block, but (a) wanted to be closer to my friends who were in building 2 and (b) I loved that big picture view even more (from building 2). I personally prefer building 5 for its central location and views, but if you want a jungle view, building 7 is good. If you're on the top floor, you have to really hope for a break in the palms to get a view as opposed to just looking into the canopy since the law was that the buildings couldn't be taller than the Royal Palms so you may see a bit of the ocean over the treetops, but the view may be restricted unless you're at the front of the building or overlooking the pool with the ocean in the distance.

If peace is your game, Preferred Club is the way to go. Though I usually stay in a PC room and love the amenities, I've never sat in a PC poolside lounger and only used the bar when getting a drink for the walk to the main part of the resort. I do like the PC beach though since I too am a snorkeler and the lazy vacationer in me far prefers to access the reef from the approach beside the pier. There is indeed no limit on people walking across the beach to access the pier and Seaside Grill and I have no problem with that. I didn't pay enough to make them have to walk around that access. If you like the infinity pool (I think it's the best pool situation in the DR), you have to be one of the super early risers to get one of the few loungers there, especially one with a brolly. I think the best of the PC is the free internet, the lounge and dedicated concierge access (this is the thing I love best! I visit the PC girls daily whether I need anything or not!), the bar with a smaller clientele and premium alcohol brands and a bartender producing drinks where quality is stressed more than quantity. You receive the creature comforts of upgraded bathroom amenities and bathrobe and turndown, and twice as much in your minibar. Once away from the PC, your upgraded status doesn't matter since you're not given any preferential treatment over the regular guests. If staying in the Preferred Club, they have their own library so you can access both those books and those in the Coco Cafe.

Food is always a personal call. I've loved most everything that's been on a plate before me there but I'm particularly unpicky. Those who are picky seem to have more trouble in Canada and the Dominican Republic and Dreams. I have a bunch of pics of food and menus starting at …webshots.com/photo/2351263970064234328qUHGms (the buffet). Prior to that is the cocktail menu if you're interested. All of these things change now and then so this is only a sampling of what was being served in 2009 and 2010.

As mentioned above, some people feed the fish when snorkeling and I can't stress enough how damaging this is. It disrupts the ecosystem in so many ways and is unnecessary. The fish bloat on the food that we give them which isn't their standard diet, they forget how to get their own food, they stop doing their job in the undersea world of cleaning the coral and grasses and it's just as bad as feeding the animals in the zoo which is always strictly forbidden. There is also no need. I've never done it and have had no difficulty seeing a ton of species. I have an album of snorkeling pics from the Dreams reefs posted at outdoors.webshots.com/album/279730537QeaRsf and that's only the fish I managed to catch in the frame! There have been lots more. The fish will be at the reefs with you regardless of your plying them with bread and bananas. There are stingrays, but I haven't seen large ones there. Don't tease them or be a menace and try to stay away from being atop them. They are well used to tourists and have no interest in a tail flail, but it's their home not ours so we have to respect their space. I've seen lots over the last 6 years and never been in jeopardy.

(I can't get enough of this hotel, having stayed there more than 15 times.)

Kaki

London, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dreams La Romana Info Needed Please!!

Hey guys and thanks for the helpful replies!

From what i've heard I really think it's just going to come down to personal preference regarding the PC and wether its worth or not, either i'm so excited and can't wait! I'm happy if we end up in block 5 just the same as i'll be happy in block 7! As long as i'm at dreams and the weathers good then i'll be happy :)

Kaki thanks a million for all your comments and the links to your pictures, there amazing. I'm going with my partner and some of her family including her Nan so we just wanted to double check there'd be enough 'traditional' food available and just as we thought, theres more than enough! The pictures of the menus have been really really helpful, i can't thank you enough....i've looked every where on the net!! When myself and my partner came in March 2010 we found the food more than good and were more than satisfied! The chicken fingers via room service are extra yummy!!

Snorkelling looks great too, nice and peaceful and I couldn't see any sharks or rays in your pictures or videos so i'm happy, plus it's nice to know that area is right infront of the PC beach section. Definitely worth taking advantage of that PC bonus! I'm guessing that was an underwater video camera you were using? May have to invest of one of these i think!

Thanks again for the help guys!

Sam

Spruce Grove, Canada
Level Contributor
497 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dreams La Romana Info Needed Please!!

All the comments are spot on and can only add that the Preferred package at DLR we consider the best bang for your buck in the Dreams chain. The preferred lounge and check in area is really nice and comfy. Snacks all day long, breakfast items, four computers with internet, bathrooms and lots of sofas and comfy chairs. The deck out front has chairs and tables for night time card games etc. We love the preferred bar and it is always nice to have Hector out there serving you up drinks. The preferred pool is a calm area of the resort with no to little noise. The view is peaceful over the gardens to the ocean. If you want some noise and activity it is a short walk to the main pool or the swim up pool. Bayahibe is a short walk down the beach and there are lots of boats for hire, short or long time rentals are available. Don't worry about sharks or other threatening sealife around the beach. You have to take an excursion to see any nurse sharks, and from what I heard, there is little or no danger. The only thing that I don't like is when the wind blows up to shore and the wave action stirs up the shoreline. The sand is very silty and the clarity of the water turns poor. Thankfully, the wind normally blows out to the ocean so the water around the shoreline is usually calm and therefore the silt settles down. Enjoy!

Liverpool
Level Contributor
160 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dreams La Romana Info Needed Please!!

Just another couple of points, I can see why some people would not like Building 7, it is after all the furthest away from the hub of the resort but this was one of the reasons we liked it. We enjoyed the outlook as we are very into any wildlife we can see and we absolutely loved watching the birds in the trees outside the window. We saw some fantastic woodpeckers and humming birds!

Also just tip the person who fills your minibar, we got more drinks than we could consume!

You are right though it is totally personal preference whether to pay that extra. I would just say there are some fantastic trips to do and they are expensive so weigh up your priorities if money is an issue.

Whatever you decide you will have a fantastic time!

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,053 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dreams La Romana Info Needed Please!!

Sam there are more snorkeling pictures in another album starting at …webshots.com/photo/2074211930064234328EKbxuu In that bunch you will see two small rays. Sorry to tell you that they're there, but you wouldn't want to be surprised, would you? They are actually among the least of your worries. Keep your eyes open for jellyfish and sand divers (they are in the album so you'll know what to watch out for) and stay away. Sand divers are among the reasons that I suggest that we wear fins or water shoes in the water, even if the sand is soft and clean. It protects you and the specimens.

Kaki

West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
536 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dreams La Romana Info Needed Please!!

Save your hard earned for something else.

The preferred beach is crap, the preferred pool is puddle sized.

So unless you need wi-fi daily (though why would you when on holiday) or a free newspaper (wow) or are desperate to have a yellow towel I would spend the money on something else.

Only my humble opinion and no doubt the "experts" will disagree but some peoples views are very hotel biased.

I go long haul twice a year. This resort is excellent without the upgrade so I wouldnt bother.

Put my soap box away now, have a great time.