We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tripvow of Bayahibe.................fantastic!!!

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
4,436 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Tripvow of Bayahibe.................fantastic!!!

Hi everybody,

Thanks to tripadvisor I have used tripvow to make a slide show of what you can expect from Bayahibe area. Such a great feature!!!

I hope you enjoy it

…tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-021e-d124-16ff…

Edited: 15 July 2011, 23:28
Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Tripvow of Bayahibe.................fantastic!!!

Some nice photos of daily life there. Thanks for sharing.

North Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
220 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tripvow of Bayahibe.................fantastic!!!

I heard there is very little public beach left after some all inclusives have made their private access only...is that true? We were thinking of going there on our first trip to DR and really dont care for the all inclusive- would rather rent a vehicle and checkout surrounding areas for nice beaches, little towns for restaurants, and just genereally see the countryside (and beaches of course!)

The German run Iguana hotel seemed nice from our online search- do you have any recommendations in that vein?

we are just an active older couple who enjoy alittle "immersion" when we travel.. enough spanish to get by...talk like a 2 yr old but usually get my point across! We had orignally looked up in cabarete area but the water doesnt seem as nice on the windy north shore....Open to any suggestions!

and thanks in advance!

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
4,436 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tripvow of Bayahibe.................fantastic!!!

Hi

there is a public beach in Bayahibe next to Dreams La Romana resort.

The size is quiet fair, and there are not many people unless you go on the weekend or a bank holiday where tends to be busier.

this beach is nice, white sand, no waves and usually quiet clear. there are also snack shops, little 'restaurants', gift shops on the beach. There are also few restaurants nearby

There is another small beach where no body usually goes, except n Sundays where you can do some snorkel. There are stones so is not the typica white sand caribbean beach, but it's pleasant.

Another public beach in dominicus area, just 5 min drive from Bayahibe where is located between Viva Palace and Iberostar hotels. It is smaller and it may be more wavy.

Personally I prefer the ones in Bayahibe.

Regarding accommodation you have much more choice in Bayahibe.

If you want an apart hotel, it is located right on the village and everything is nearby

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g663484-d110855…

there is hotel Bayahibe also in trip advisor, you have cabanas which are simple rooms in the village for a low budget rent and you have a choice of apartments to rent from various owners. Usually fully furnished.

Depends if you want to cook or not and how many of you are, it may suit an apartment or just a room.

There are few people in the forum who own or manage properties so you can make an enquiry.

Demi51 and MonicaSDQ

North Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
220 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tripvow of Bayahibe.................fantastic!!!

thanks for the info bigbite

It's just the two of us but we do like to have capability of lite cooking- breakfast -coffee in the am- and a frig. Glad to hear the public beach is still ok there. If you are aware, we are flying from TX and wonder if there is a big difference on cost flying directly into the area or using SD airport and renting a car (which we plan to do anyhow)

Since we are from s.tx we are used to some warm evenings and my husband is alittle concerned that the night temps may be chilly for us in the winter, we heard low 70's. Is it much different during the warmer months?

Thanks again for your help!

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
4,436 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tripvow of Bayahibe.................fantastic!!!

Sorry which month are you planning to go?

Summer it is not chilli at night. I can sleep well without a fan or air conditioner, but you may be used to something different.

Regarding your flights just ask your travel agency or check yourself on line. You may find a nice offer.

There are some flights direct to La Romana which is only 15 min away from Bayahibe, so after a long flight it's nice to get quick to your room.

I would rather flight through La Romana if there is no big difference on flight and the schedule it's easy.

Regarding renting a car, please consider that the driving it's different from the USA and avoid driving at night. You may consider get a taxi or some companies offer to pick you up from the airport if you are renting for a long period, which is quiet good, as you may be tired

North Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
220 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tripvow of Bayahibe.................fantastic!!!

Such a fast reply- thanks so much! We originally had planned to come Jan-Feb but that evening chill may change my husbands decision, we are pretty thin blooded these days!

As far as the rental, I do understand and should mention that we had driven extensively through Mexico for over 20 yrs and feel fairly comfortable with my husbands' competency in dealing with less than courteous drivers or unfavorable road conditions!

I have a feeling la romana will be pricier than Santo Dom but I will go check it out, most likely we will fly out of miami or ft lauderdale-not too long a flight.

Thanks again!

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
4,436 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tripvow of Bayahibe.................fantastic!!!

HI

There are flights with AA from Miami La Romana direct on Sundays and I think they are increasing the amount of direct flights. If you check in advance you may find a good deal.

There are some direct flights now to La Romana with Jet Blue, but I'm not sure if any airport will suit you.

Regarding the weather, it will be 'winter'. For some people it is fine at night and some others like myself need to wear a light long sleeve or fine jacket some nights

Windsor, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tripvow of Bayahibe.................fantastic!!!

Hello everyone;

My hubby and I would like to go somewhere you can snorkel from the beach, or swim to the reef. We are good swimmers, but when we went to Sousa last year there were issues with speed boats, so it was scary to swim to the reef sometimes. We are not looking for really great snorkeling, there are tours for that, just a place we can go day to day as I am a long distance swimmer and hubby follows me snorkeling for safety. Is it possible to do this in this area? If so, we would like to stay within a 30 minute walk to the snorkel beach, or a short moto ride in a budget spot. Safety is a concern for us. Does anyone have any ideas for us?

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
4,436 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tripvow of Bayahibe.................fantastic!!!

Drams La romana has a coral reef just in front that you can swimm off shore.

There is traffeic boat but from 11am till 2.30pm should be quiet.

Plus if yo snorkel it is not very far but it will be safe to take some flotation to alert others that you are in the water.

There is also a wreck just 12 m at the bottom and 4mts at the top which is currently lively just in front dreams.

Just go snorkel off the busy rush boat hour and you will be fine.

Also you have the choice to make snorkel trips to the nearby islands

10. Re: Tripvow of Bayahibe.................fantastic!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 01:18