We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Catalonia Hotels

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
374 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Catalonia Hotels

Is the Catalonia Gran Dominicus the same hotel as the Catalonia La Romana or are they, in fact, two separate hotels??

Mentioned in this post
Catalonia Gran Dominicus
Catalonia Gran Dominicus
6,637 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
Level Contributor
3,533 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Catalonia Hotels

So far I haven't heard about Catalonia La Romana, so I am guessing it is the same resort. Sometimes people use the city La Romana with the name of the resort to sound more familiar and it gets confusing.

Happy travel

Denise

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
374 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Catalonia Hotels

demi56 - Thanks for responding!

Most travel websites list the hotel as Catalonia La Romana and some list it as Catalonia Gran Dominicus. The hotel's website lists both, though the pictures look identical, so that is why I am somewhat confused. I did email the hotel as well and am waiting for a response.

The traveler reviews of the hotel are very good reviews. My husband and I went to Punta Cana last year for the first time and stayed at Catalonia Royal Bavaro but there is something about the La Romana/Bayahibe area that looks so beautiful!!

Mentioned in this post
Catalonia Gran Dominicus
Catalonia Gran Dominicus
6,637 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
Level Contributor
3,533 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Catalonia Hotels

As I said some people refer to it as Catalonia La Romana, because it is close to La Romana city (which might be more known then Dominicus) and also some do not even know the exact location of the hotel or proper name :)

The difference between Punta Cana and Bayahibe / Dominicus is not only that we are on the Caribbean side, much calmer and bluer then Punta Cana on the Atlantic side. Also you will have a better change to see more of the local life in this area then in Punta Cana.

Denise

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
374 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Catalonia Hotels

I am looking forward to our visit. We would love to venture off and experience the local life. Do you live there??

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
Level Contributor
3,533 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Catalonia Hotels

I live in Bayahibe, about 5 minutes from the resort :) We can meet for coffee or a drink if you like, you can send me a message through here or email me at denise@discoverbayahibe.com

Denise

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
374 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Catalonia Hotels

Okay - I will let you know as soon as I book the vacation - we wold love that! We are planning on arriving on the 23rd of October - hopefully we will be hurricane free at that time.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,060 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Catalonia Hotels

I really enjoyed my stay at the Catalonia Gran Dominicus, but from what I know about the property that you visited in Punta Cana, this one is a step down. The services and rooms are quite basic. The room is large, but you don't get anything in the fridge and there aren't many rooms so there's lots of room for everybody on the beach, but there's not a swim up bar or lots of restaurants. If you keep your expectations low (and I don't mean "expect the worst") and reasonable for what is advertised as included with the hotel, you could have as great a vacation as I had. There's not so much that's "Royal" about this quaint and fun hotel though.

The pictures from my first visit are posted at travel.webshots.com/album/566219867FRvrBt

Kaki

Mentioned in this post
Catalonia Gran Dominicus
Catalonia Gran Dominicus
6,637 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
374 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Catalonia Hotels

Kaki - It does appear that this hotel is on a smaller scale than the Catalonia Royal Bavaro in PC. We are looking for something very relaxing and quiet as we have very busy schedules and don't have much time to be together, alone!!

Is this resort truly an all inclusive, breakfast, lunch and dinner as well as drinks??

Also, what were your thoughts on the food and the beach? We are definitely more beach people than pool people - at the CRB we did use the swim up bar every late afternoon to meet up with people we met there before changing for dinner, but in all honestly, we never even stepped foot in the gorgeous infinitely pool on the property.

Rooms are not a huge issue to us as we are up at the crack of dawn and don't return to the room until it is time for dinner. We are not night people - maybe a drink or two or after then we are done. As long as the rooms are clean, that is all we need.

London, United...
Level Contributor
108 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Catalonia Hotels

I stayed at Catalonia and I like it much better than posh resorts in Punta Cana side. I had water in the fridge and it was enough cause you can go to bar anytime and get coke or sprite or something stronger anytime:)

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
374 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Catalonia Hotels

Annie - thanks for your comments - water in the fridge is also not a huge concern of mine as I know we can get water at all the bars. What room category did you stay in and were you pestered by anyone at all while on the beach?