We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Romana - Bayahibe...is this the same place?

Which Bayahibe hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
696 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
La Romana - Bayahibe...is this the same place?

Really confused are these the same towns?

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
13,161 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: La Romana - Bayahibe...is this the same place?

They are often referred to as the same ...since they are so close to one another.

Bayahibe is the small village are with the great beach and many of the resorts are nearer to there than to LaRomana.

LaRomana is the city with lots of shops and dining and such...

I am sure Denise and some others will be along shortly to give a more and better detailed anwer..

Its a lovely area... I have stayed at both Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus and Dreams LaRoman and fell in love with the area.

Happy Travels,

bb/mt

england
Level Contributor
5,648 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: La Romana - Bayahibe...is this the same place?

Dreams La Romana is in fact just outside Bayahibe & about 10 miles from La Romana.

The tour Ops call the area La Romana to make it easier to market.

As bb said a beutifull area.

Bayahibe & Dominicus are two smashing little villages.

Sparky

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
696 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: La Romana - Bayahibe...is this the same place?

Thanks!

Ok so if we have friends staying at Gran Bahia La Romana and we are staying at Iberostar are we on the same beach or at least within walking distance to eachother?

england
Level Contributor
5,648 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: La Romana - Bayahibe...is this the same place?

I think I'm right in saying it's a long walk. :-)

As the "crow flies" 30 miles.

Gran Bahia is about 20miles west of La Romana & Iberostar is in the Dominicus area, about 10 miles east of La Romana.

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
4,434 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: La Romana - Bayahibe...is this the same place?

Unfortunately Gran Bahia La Romana it is 30 min drive opposite side of La Romana.

So no, is not the same beach but you can meet in Bayahibe to do any trips as in Bahia is isolated and has no tourist attraction apart of the resort itself

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for La Romana, Bayahibe
Level Contributor
8,031 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: La Romana - Bayahibe...is this the same place?

The "Cueva de las Maravillas" (Cave of Miracles) is pretty close to the front gate of the Bahia Principe, but, as said in the other posts, this hotel is pretty remote and you wouldn't run into the guests of that hotel unless you were on an excursion with them. To meet up with people from there on an excursion, you'd want to book with one of the smaller private outfits, like Seavis Bayahibe, where you could have the guarantee by a person in control that you would be on the same tour. If you decide to do a tour, like going to Saona Island, on a certain day during your stay and you book through your hotel reps, you could easily end up on different boats and possibly different beaches at the destination defeating the purpose of your arranging to do it together.

Regarding walking distance, even Dreams La Romana at Bayahibe isn't really walking distance to the Dominicus resorts. It is possible, but...

I think that as much as anything, the area is called La Romana because it is the large centre which is easy to describe by looking at a map, much like people say that they're from Toronto or New York or LA when they're really from the surrounding suburbs. It is also the name of the local airport (LRM) so again that makes it easy to describe as a destination. Bayahibe has grown like crazy in the last 5 years but up to 12 years ago was merely a fishing village with a couple of hotels in the general area. If you said "Bayahibe" to a travel agent, nobody would know what you were talking about (lots still don't)! It actually only became its own sub-forum here at TripAdvisor about 3 or 4 years ago.

In this picture: …webshots.com/photo/2883869390064234328cisDJg I marked up the Google Earth image to show the hotels and local landmarks. It's easier if you can see the "full size" image (toward the top right), but the Bahia Principe is almost at the far left of the image, with the Iberostar on the right.

Kaki

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
696 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: La Romana - Bayahibe...is this the same place?

Thank you all for answering my questions...newbie to this sinde of the Dominican

The map is great Kaki! at least we are not so isolated.

toronto
Level Contributor
185 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: La Romana - Bayahibe...is this the same place?

Hi,

How can I get to a beach in Bahayibe from La Romana cruise port?

How much is taxi fare?

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
4,434 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: La Romana - Bayahibe...is this the same place?

Taxi ride may charge $10 per person if is shared or about $60 private.

Taxi is the best way to get to Bayahibe.

Once in Bayahibe you can go to Saona first beaches, natural swimming pool, visit the mangroves, snorkelling, diving or even go fishing.

All depends of how long does the cruise dock. You may plan ahead lots of activities in the area

toronto
Level Contributor
185 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: La Romana - Bayahibe...is this the same place?

Is it $10 return or one way?

What about public transportation? are theres buses/vans like in other caribbean islands?

Thanks for your reply!