We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Important Question about the food at Be Live Canoa

Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
140 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Important Question about the food at Be Live Canoa

Hello I was wondering if any recent travelers to this resort could assist me. We are considering going to the Be Live Canoa in March 2012. We will be traveling with my niece who has a condition whereby her body can't metabolize protein (PKU). In a nutshell she has to refrain from; wheat, meat, dairy and beans (basically eats as a vegan would). Therefore, my question is about the variety and amount of fruits and vegetables that are available. I have read in some reviews that veggies and fruits can be in limited supply. Really need to know if there is a good variety for these items.

In addition, we will have to bring some of her own food into the resort (ie. powdered formula, which is her milk, breads, cereals etc...... as these items need to be low protein) does any see this as being an issue? We will be emailing the resort about bringing in food but wondering if anyone else saw families bringing in foods, what with all the allergies kids tend to have these days.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
140 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Important Question about the food at Be Live Canoa

Anyone?

pa
Level Contributor
152 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Important Question about the food at Be Live Canoa

Hi,

I don't have the same issue, but I do have celiacs, a Gluten intolerance.

I would bring her own food and call ahead and email and try to reach someone in dietary/food services to alert them of your arrival and needs. I would not just rely on email, I would try to call and speak with someone in charge of food services, get their name so when you arrive, you have a person to meet with if needed. If you are worried about cross contamination I would definitely get the name of the person in charge of food services and meet with them when you arrive to discuss food options. Plan ahead where and when you would like to eat as I think this resort has more than one restaurant. You can do this the day you get there, as some restaurants you must reserve ahead of time. Make sure you have Travelers health insurance( I had this via AMEX), as I got very ill once when I was in Puerto Plata because of my Celiacs and had to go to the hospital via ambulance, not fun! This was before I knew I had Celiacs. I was diagnosed after I returned home. Best of luck to you and have fun trip :-)

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Important Question about the food at Be Live Canoa

Here are some good tips, by Kaki, on traveling with food allergies.

puntacanatv.com/traveling-with-food-allergie…

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Important Question about the food at Be Live Canoa

Fruit & veggies are abundant here! Breakfast buffets are a trove of fruit - exotic and regular. The freshly squeezed juices (jugos) are to die for. "Batidas" are delicious fruit shakes, but avoid them as they contain milk products. Pineapples, mangos and bananas taste sweeter here than the supermarket ones back home. Bananas cost 5 pesos each (12 cents).

In the village, Neno runs a fruit truck parked at the ocean end of the main bus car park. He'll sell you conveniently cut up pieces to take away. A great refreshing snack.

Veggies - a large variety but sadly they tend to over cook them here.

Useful menu translations puntacanatv.com/basic-dominican-menu-transla…

About fruit http://puntacanatv.com/dominican-fruit.html

5. Re: Important Question about the food at Be Live Canoa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 April 2013, 10:35
Get answers to your questions about Bayahibe
Recent Conversations