We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sea conditions

Berkshire
Level Contributor
355 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Sea conditions

Can anyone tell me if the sea is warm and calm at Bayahibe? I realise some beaches are on the Atlantic side and can be rough. As a non swimmer who loves to go in the sea, I do not want to be knocked off my feet!

Suffolk
Level Contributor
954 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sea conditions

I am only speaking from research as we go to Dreams La Romana in 7 days for our first trip but the sea looks lovely and calm, I guess it will depend what time of year you travel and how exposed the resort you choose is but generally the Bayahibe area looks calmer than the PC area.

If you want to see some videos of the area there are loads on Youtube, try Dreams La Romana beach as a search :O)

Berkshire
Level Contributor
355 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sea conditions

Thank you. Having been bitterly disappointed in Barbados (assumed it was calm and warm with Palm trees!) and Cape Verde (which looked fabulous with turqoise waters but did not know about the dangerous on shore waves with huge undertow) I want to be ultra careful where I go next January, so have begun research early!

Suffolk
Level Contributor
954 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sea conditions

I spend so long researching, one of my favorite bits :O)

As I said we go next week and I love swimming, and snorkelling in the sea so I will write about it in my review when I return, I also hope to purchase some wifi time so hope to do a live from post. I know mine will all be Dreams La Romana and Bayahibe biased but might help you decide.

Happy holidays

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
Level Contributor
3,361 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sea conditions

You can see how it looks like here in Bayahibe on my Facebook page Discover Bayahibe. I post daily weather updates and pictures.

http://www.facebook.com/discoverbayahibe

Dreams La Romana resort is located in Bayahibe bay, so it has really calm water. The rest of the resorts in our area are in Dominicus, you can see some pictures from the beach there too.

We are on the south coast, the Caribbean side and the sea is normally like a lake. Punta Cana is on the Atlantic coast so the sea is not as calm as here.

Happy travel

Denise

Berkshire
Level Contributor
355 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sea conditions

Lovely, thank you all of you. I look forward to more reports.

Berkshire
Level Contributor
355 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sea conditions

You are all so helpful, and I have marked down Dreams as a very probable choice for next year. I look forward to reading any reports on the Dreams Tripadvisor review, perhaps you could be my eyes and ears please?

Suffolk
Level Contributor
954 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sea conditions

No problems :O)

If there is anything specific, send me a PM and I will do my best to check it out - don't forget though time of year can make a difference, I think you said you were thinking next Jan so all should be similar.

As Denise says, she does daily weather reports on her Facebook page lots of lovely pictures as well, Dreams also has an active face book page and I am sure some of the other resorts do as well so enjoy your researching. Also ask the specific question about calm water as this seems to be a key factor for you :O)

Berkshire
Level Contributor
355 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sea conditions

Not sure how to send a PM. I would like to know if you are going via Thomson, if so, what is the seating like (meaning space between seats, so should I upgrade), how long it took, what the food and drinks are like (I do like to have a glass or two of wine whilst reading my book on the beach, so is there a beach bar), I am presuming Dreams is an All Inclusive.

Patlatham229@aol.com

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
Level Contributor
3,361 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sea conditions

You can also read what people are saying about Dreams La Romana resort on their Facebook page

http://www.facebook.com/DreamsLaRomana

Denise

Berkshire
Level Contributor
355 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sea conditions

Not on facebook or Twitter - cannot be bothered with it. Will follow all comments on other sites though with great interest. You are extremely helpful. Thank you.