We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seasick on water excursions?

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
34 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Seasick on water excursions?

We will be traveling to Dreams in early August and I know the weather can effect how rough the water is and we will take precautions but generally do you see a lot of seasickness on these trips?

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
Level Contributor
3,347 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seasick on water excursions?

It depends on the excursion you book and type of the boat you will go on. If you are on a big catamaran, most likely you won'd have any problems, on a smaller boat you might.

Most of the time the water is very calm, if the water is rough due to a storm in our area the excursions are cancelled, the coats guards won't issue permits to go out for that day.

Happy travel

Denise

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
4,436 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seasick on water excursions?

Sorry Demi,

I don´t agree with you.

You get more seasickness on catamarans as is slow motion and fell the waves. In speed boats, unless you go slowly, or you stop, you hardly get seasick.

Anti seasick tablet before your trip will help you but if you are very sensitive to motions, consider taking the excursions.

Usually most of the boats will travel close to the coast and is not very wavy considering the fact that is almost flat around here.

Also will depends the destination of the trip.

For example Catalina tends to be weaves and some parts of Saona island too.

ontario
Level Contributor
606 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seasick on water excursions?

On a recent catamaran trip I was shocked at how many people were seasick or at least feeling off a bit.i had no choice but to stand the entire day as this helped fight against the roll of the waves.i also took the motor boat trip to Catalina Island and had no problems whatsoever as we were travelling at a much faster pace and cut right through the waves

Liverpool
Level Contributor
157 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seasick on water excursions?

Have to agree with Big Bite, I get terribly sea sick and it has stopped me doing a lot of trips in the past. Spending it with your head over the side does not make for an enjoyable trip!.

I did the Saona trip on a speedboat with Seavis and had no problems at all. As was said, when you go fast you don't get the same type of motion so don't feel sick. When it stops on the water, that is a different matter and when we stopped to see the starfish I quickly got in the water as I can't stand the bobbing sensation. I did still take tablets if I remember rightly but if things are really rough they only help a little bit.

Catamarans look a nice way to travel but for me it would be speedboats all the way!

West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
529 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seasick on water excursions?

Be sick over the side of the boat.

The fish love it and wolf it down, then fishermen catch the fish.

You get back from your trip and have fish for dinner.

Then you go on a boat trip etc etc etc

6. Re: Seasick on water excursions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Bayahibe
Recent Conversations