We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shelling

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
34 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Shelling

Any excursion or beach that we could collect shells? Going to Dreams in early August.

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
106 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shelling

Was just at Dreams and didnt really see any shells on shore . Not sure about the excursions. Was very nice shells out under water near the reef beside the pier that I saw while snorkeling. The waves are so small there they don't wash things ashore.

Townsend, MA
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
1,971 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shelling

Yes, we called the area in front of the wedding gazebo the place

'where conchs go to die'. I suspect it was some kind of dumping

ground either for the seafood restaurant or in an attempt to build up

the reef. Although, we did see a couple of tiny conchs while we were

out snorkelling.

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
8,068 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Shelling

Just a caution that it is illegal to take shells out of the country, if you bag is checked they will likely confiscate them.

NJ
Level Contributor
1,387 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shelling

I never heard about it (I mean to take shells out). What about shells they sell in the stores? I love to collect shells and of cource never take the live ones or shell with the "tenant". I have huge collection home from all over... Do you have a source of information?

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
4,436 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shelling

Actually there is atiny island known as Catalinita. It is wild, remote and little shadow but full of conchs as is sourrounded by sand banks.

Also to get there you may pass by the mangroves and there is a colony of fridgate birs which nest all year around.

The conch that you are likely to find is what locally known as lambi

I will recommend you that if you are planning to spend lots of time collecting conchs, to go private in a taxi boat for example as all the organised trips do not spend much time in this island

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
34 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shelling

Thanks!

NJ
Level Contributor
1,387 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shelling

Bigbite, where priavte taxi can be hired, at the marina? Do you know how much it will cost to go to Catalinita and spend few hours? Is it safe to go there ? I was snorkeling by Catalinita but never was on island itself.

Edited: 18 May 2012, 20:28
West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
530 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shelling

Its illegal to take them out.

Respect the environment, if everyone took some think of the consequences.

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
4,436 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shelling

There is a taxi boat service in the village and the office is at the parking. It´s called ASPLABA.

The prices are listed so they cannot charge more than that, unless they increase it.

The price to Catalinita is 190USD for a boat that can take up to 10 people and you will need to pay also $3 per person for the entrance to the National East park.

The only captain that speaks English that I know is Pepe and his email is

cocobayahibe@gmail.com

Catalinita is quiet nice but very wild and lonely. It is safe, but is little shadow.

Interesting things to do is the nesting frigate birds, mangroves, the sand bank and cayo raton which is a snorkelling area but sometimes has strong currents

10. Re: Shelling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 May 2012, 21:05
Edited: 25 May 2012, 21:05