We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New moterway from Punta Cana to la romana

Which Bayahibe hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
coventry
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
New moterway from Punta Cana to la romana

While in bayahibe last year the moterway was under construction, we are considering returning again early next year, and as we have to fly into Punta Cana, we are hopeing that the Moterway will be finished. Has anyone got any idea on it's progress? will it shorten the journey by much?

Sheffield, england
Level Contributor
397 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New moterway from Punta Cana to la romana

Hi, we have just returned from Dreams and the motorway is well under construction they said it should be ready by the end of the year and it will reduce the transfer time to around 1hr, it's a long transfer but well worth it!!!

coventry
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: New moterway from Punta Cana to la romana

It is most certainly well worth it, it is a lovely drive when it is bright, in the dark it can be a bit boring.

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
Level Contributor
3,227 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New moterway from Punta Cana to la romana

It might be even less then an hour once the highway is done. I've heard about completion in July this year, but I don't think it will be that fast, really hope it will be done by the next high season in December.

Denise

england
Level Contributor
5,648 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New moterway from Punta Cana to la romana

Was there Oct last year & again last week.. I was amazed at how far they'd advanced....

It's gonna make a huge difference to journey length & time...But funny enough the taxi driver I spoke to didn't think the fares would drop....

He had a huge grin on his face when I asked him.. lol

Sparky

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
374 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New moterway from Punta Cana to la romana

That new highway is from Punta Cana to La Romana. I thought I had read that there was a new highwat from Santo Domingo to La Romana - is that true?? We are returning to Bayahibe this October, flying into SDQ.

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
Level Contributor
3,227 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New moterway from Punta Cana to la romana

The highway will connect Santo Domingo with Punta Cana through La Romana. So if you travel either from Punta Cana airport or Santo Domingo airport to La Romana area it will be much faster.

Denise

Ballina, Ireland
Level Contributor
641 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New moterway from Punta Cana to la romana

This is great, I will keep watching this thread to see if there are any updates.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New moterway from Punta Cana to la romana

The new motorway has opened in the last 2 weeks,

I read a trip advisor report as i am going to dreams, la romana in 4 weeks and the person stated on the return journey from dreams back to the airport they went on the new motorway and it took only 45 minutes, cutting the transfer time in half.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
12,903 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New moterway from Punta Cana to la romana

The new highway is a welcome addition to the east. From the airport in Punta Cana to Bayahibe should take 45 to 60 minutes depending on which resort you are at.

Cheers

PuntaCana Mike

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
Level Contributor
3,227 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New moterway from Punta Cana to la romana

My husband drove from Punta Cana airport to Bayahibe village and it took 35 minutes, so to get to Dreams La Romana the time will be the same, to the resorts in Dominicus will be additional 5 minutes.

Denise