We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking to dive, eat, and shop

Which Bayahibe hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Caney, Kansas
5 posts
Save Topic
Looking to dive, eat, and shop

Bayahibe seems to be the place to dive, but is there any thing else there? My husband and I like to dive, eat local, and shop. We don't speak Spanish. Is this the area for us?

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking to dive, eat, and shop

I think Bayahibe would suit your requirements!

Bayahibe has the best diving on the island with over 30 dive sites, including wrecks, to choose from. All the dive shops speak English and most of the locals do too. Every hotel has a dive shop in their watersports center. There are a few independent dive shops too. Diving Dominican Republic (Sharkys) offers something unique - ie. private diving where you don't share a boat with lots of other divers. They tailor your dives to your personal requirements. They have excellent reviews on Trip Advisor. Send them an email on info@divingdr.com Or cut and paste this weblink into your browser - if you do a google search the link goes to a bad link as their site's been hacked.

http://divingdominicanrepublic.com/

Their Facebook www.facebook.com/DivingDominicanRepublic

Eating wise: several nice restaurants and bars to choose from scattered around both bays. On this link there is a map of Bayahibe showing them plus links to accommodation http://bayahibesup.com/bayahibe-map/

Bayahibe is a fishing village so there's plenty of freshly caught fish and seafood offered at the restaurants. Everything in the village is within walking distance. There is another area called Dominicus a 5 minute taxi ride away ($US10 per taxi one way, or local bus, guagua, for less than a dollar). You'll find another longer, public beach there and a pedestrian street with some more gift shops and small boutiques.

Other things to do: boat and snorkel trips to the islands of Saona, Catalinita and Catalina (part of the National Park of the East). Deep sea fishing, Stand Up Paddle Boarding (perfect flat-water conditions for beginners), ATV buggy tours, Zip line and river tours, cigar factory nearby, Santo Domingo day tours…

Look here on Trip Advisor under the Bayahibe Activities Tab: tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g663484-Activiti…

and here under the La Romana things to do tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g147292-Activiti…

La Romana is the town 15 minutes away but most Bayahibe hotels etc are advertised under La Romana.

Webcams: http://bayahibewebcam.com/ and another one looking into the bigger bay http://www.seavisbayahibe.com/Welcome_e.htm

The area is safe to walk around. The locals are friendly! Check out the lively scene where locals and expats gather at the local Colmadon every evening 5.30pm to 9pm. The sun sets over the sea so we have beautiful sunsets too :-)

Have fun!

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
Level Contributor
3,166 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking to dive, eat, and shop

Most of the divers will tell you that Bayahibe area is the best on the island for scuba diving. There are many restaurants to choose from, as for shopping - I am not sure what you would like to buy, there are few stores in Bayahibe and Dominicus, then La Romana only a 15 minute ride.

Speaking Spanish would help, most the the sellers on the beach speak English so you will be fine there, in some restaurants too, in the local stores not as much, so you might have some communication issues :)

I just tried the link for the diving web page and worked fine :)

Happy travel

Denise

Santo Domingo...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking to dive, eat, and shop

not a word to add on the diving part :-)

As for dining, I hardly recommend you TRACADERO (on the Dominicus area), and MARE NOSTRUM at the Bayahibe small beach.

As for shopping, go to the pedestrian street in Dominicus.

A trip to La Romana is worthe iot if you wnat to do sole local groceries shopping

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking to dive, eat, and shop

Yes, Tracadero is in a beautiful setting with excellent food ($US30 to $50 upwards). A great place for a quality, romantic meal.

Website is in Italian but has photos and videos: tracadero.it/Tracadero/New_home_Beach_Club.h…

Mare Nuestro (they've renamed it!) has great seafood and a new small lounge bar downstairs. https:/…marenostrum.bayahibe

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
4,430 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking to dive, eat, and shop

If you want to have a taste of Dominican Cuisine I can recommend you Issamar, small family restaurant by Bayahibe Beach and their speciality is seafood and fish.

Try fish with coconut sauce with fried plantain or white rice.

Also grilled lobster with garlic sauce

Much simple dish just grilled fresh fish or fried squid

Edited: 13 January 2013, 17:43
Las Galeras...
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking to dive, eat, and shop

sorry to disagree but disagree I must ,,,, the best diving is to be had on the North Coast, especially if you are an experienced diver. Diver Magazine Travekl Guide cites The Tower and Tibisi as the 2 best dive sites the DR has to offer and they are both just off the beach here at Las Galeras. We also have a beautiful wreck or two and some of the healthiest corals around (most of which can also be seen by snorkellers)... As for eating out We have 4 or 5 phenomenally good restaurants and about the same amount of good ones plus one or two average and some great Dominican Comedors. Shopping? One fabulous gift shop owned by a Vietnamese/French lady, Fany, selling some of the most amazing original gifts on the island plus the usual DR style gifts and bric-a-brac.and language 'problems' none here, many expats here so as well as Dominican Spanish and Spanish Spanish, we have English, Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, American, French, Italian, Belgian, Bulgarian, German, Swiss, Vietnamese, Russian and Flemish speakers, all local inhabitants and/or business owners. On top of this, there is zip lining, horseriding, atv's, hiking, cliff jumping, amateur caving, yoga, dancing..... and people ask me why I live here! hee hee hee Wherever you opt for, I hope you enjoy your vacation

Caney, Kansas
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking to dive, eat, and shop

Great info. Do you know the water temp this time of year, good dive operators with nice places nearby to stay?

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
Level Contributor
3,166 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking to dive, eat, and shop

Right now the water temperature around Bayahibe is 80-82F / 27 - 28C.

Accommodations around Bayahibe and Dominicus - you can choose from all inclusive resorts to independent hotels

discoverbayahibe.com/your-dominican-holiday-…

You can see the life web camera from La Punta bay in Bayahibe at www.bayahibewebcam.com

Denise

Las Galeras...
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking to dive, eat, and shop

The water temp this morning for our first dive was a respectable 28C and visibility around 18 meters. Quite shallow as doing some skills before the dive but spotted a beautiful barracuda, as well as the usual suspects.

Places to stay in Las Galeras, (can't comment on Bayahibe as I'm not a fan of all inc resorts and have only stayed at a couple of independants places there) would include Chalet Tropical, The Cove, Todo Blanco, Sol Azul, Villa Serena and Juan y Lolo's to name a handful of the better ones here.

10. Re: Looking to dive, eat, and shop

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2014, 07:17