We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there any other form of transport to get from Bayahibe

middlesbrough
Level Contributor
14 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Is there any other form of transport to get from Bayahibe

I am thinking of a trip to the shopping zones in punta cana or santo domingo but have noticed a lack of info to shopping areas is there public transport that go or are they only excursions available to go to these places.

england
Level Contributor
5,655 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there any other form of transport to get from Bayahibe

Why Santo Domingo & Punta Cana... La Romana is closer and way better than PC. Not sure how it compares to SD.

Gua guas run every 20mins or so from the Colmado in the village, I think it costs about $2 ( it's been a while)...Or you could get a taxi. Again not sure on cost but at a guess I'd say $15/$20.

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
Level Contributor
3,357 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there any other form of transport to get from Bayahibe

La Romana is better than Punta Cana as the above post says, more choices for sure, guagua is 65 pesos (1.50 USD) per person, taxi is more expensive, between 40 - 60 USD one way.

Santo Domingo is a huge city with 4+ million people living there, so the shopping is the best (probably), but very tiring. It's not a one day trip if you want to see everything - at least for me. There are few new shopping mall, one of them called Agora, then a Bluemall, new addition beside Americano (and Ikea) being built is called 360. And of course there is Zona Colonial - the tourist center and the old part of the city where most of the tourist go to see some history and buy souvenirs.

You can take a bus from La Romana bus station (pass the Burger King on the west exit from the city), that will take you to the center on Santo Domingo. The price used to be around 300 pesos (around 7 USD) per person one way.

Denise

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
8,068 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there any other form of transport to get from Bayahibe

Some good advice, La Romana has plenty of good shopping without the huge hassles of SD and PC is a tourist zone and doesn't compare to what you can find in LRM. Take a guagua into town and make a day of it. In the baseball season Winter League you could catch a game, eat some local cuisine, etc.

Bath, UK
Level Contributor
312 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there any other form of transport to get from Bayahibe

Excuse my ignorance but what on earth is a guagua?

england
Level Contributor
5,655 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there any other form of transport to get from Bayahibe

Small coach.. Bit bigger than a Mini Bus..

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
8,068 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there any other form of transport to get from Bayahibe

google it Steve, lots of youtube stuff on it. A public transport sardine van.

england
Level Contributor
5,655 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is there any other form of transport to get from Bayahibe

www.youtube.com/watch…

Yep they can get busy.. :-)

The wife & I used them everyday whilst we were in Bayahibe.

Never had a problem apart from the one trip when two of the lady passengers had a heated discussion & very nearly came to blows...

All good fun.. :-)

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
Level Contributor
3,357 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is there any other form of transport to get from Bayahibe

HAHA sorry - guagua is the local public transportation, a minivan that takes as many people as possible ;)

But usually here they are not as crowded as at some places I have seen.

http://tinyurl.com/m84uyfg

Denise

middlesbrough
Level Contributor
14 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is there any other form of transport to get from Bayahibe

great advice many thanks!

10. Re: Is there any other form of transport to get from Bayahibe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2014, 05:17