We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boca de Yuma

NJ
Level Contributor
1,429 posts
133 reviews
Save Topic
Boca de Yuma

We've been at Bayahibe area numerous times but never made it to Boca de Yuma. We're staying at Catalonia in December. Does it worth the trip? I heard about great seafood place there. What are prices to hire taxi or local driver to go there and have a nice seafood meal with good drinks or beer? Can we see caves there? Are they accessible? Any beachcombing opportunities? I hope Demi will chime in.

Mentioned in this post
Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
Level Contributor
3,535 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boca de Yuma

Hi babochca,

Boca de Yuma is our favorite place for seafood, and yes it is worth the trip. The view is beautiful, the food is excellent and very cheap, not too many tourists, so you will experience the true Dominican life :)

I am not sure about the cost of the taxi, my guess would be around 80 USD round trip. There are nice caves you can go to, but not beach. The village is sitting high above the ocean (yes it is the Atlantic coast there already). I wouldn't plan it as a whole day trip, I am not sure if you would have as much to do there. What we usually do is go in the afternoon, go to the restaurant called El Arponero (that's our favorite - the best food and the best view) and order food. Because they make everything from scratch it takes about an hour or even more, after ordering we go for a walk around the village. By the time we return the food is almost ready, so we have drinks and enjoy the view.

Have fun if you go and enjoy!

Denise

NJ
Level Contributor
1,429 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boca de Yuma

Thanks, Demi! What will be your advise who we can hire to go there? Or we just can take any taxi available? Then taxi will need to wait for us couple of hours...

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
4,436 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boca de Yuma

You can drive there. Usually the return taxi fare includes the waiting time. It will be good if you can discuss before boarding so you do things with freedom.

Best day to go is on Sunday afternoon to see a bit of Dominican fun. Locals from the nearby towns o villages get there to get some breeze, dance and few beers.

There is a little river that you can take a boat and will go up river or take you around the see the coast and couple of beaches if is not too rough

The river part is quiet nice and you may spot iguanas and colony of pelicans and other birds

The coast ride is nothing special

Another great place for lunch is Gato. This small village is by the riverside. Very charming place where you can have a swim in the beautiFul river Chavon.

You will need to cross part of the countryside and contemplate villages, sugar cane fields, yuca plantations, cows and ancient mahogany forest

Only one restaurant here which is very famous among the locals for the special dish river and crab garlic prawns.

Truly a delicatessen!!

You can visit both places in the same day

Best to go to gato for lunch and after lunch to Yuma for the river, drink , snack and dance

It is not hard to get there is just you need to know where is it!!

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
Level Contributor
3,535 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boca de Yuma

I think it might be more than couple hours ;)

Either you get a taxi at the resort and make a deal with him or I can give you our taxi driver name, you can call him and see how much he would charge you for that. He took some of our friends there already, he can also show you the caves and all around, so he would be your personal guide. But I don't know how much he charges for that.

Denise

NJ
Level Contributor
1,429 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boca de Yuma

Thanks, bigbite and demi! I think, it will be better to hire guide. Demi, please give me his phone number. Does he speak English?

Crab garlic prawns sound very good! Really interested in river trip and Gato also. We can make it a whole day trip! And what is the name of the seafood restaurant in Yuma which overlooks the ocean? I still want to eat there too. And I want to see beaches for beachcombing. Thanks! Getting very exited already!

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
4,436 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boca de Yuma

Babochka

Believe me the prawns are really nice. They offer a selection of local foods apart of the prawns usually serve buttered fish, arepitas (made with yuca and anis ) fried plantain, aubergine all cooked on hot coal

thi is the facebook page of the restaurant.

https://www.facebook.com/rancho.santacruz.9…

You can also take a horse ride

Evaristo is a local taxi driver and he speaks very good English.

He is entretaining too and he will explain and show you stuff on the way

His number +1809 3066701

Do arrange with time a day out

I know also other good taxi drivers but with little English

NJ
Level Contributor
1,429 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boca de Yuma

Thanks, bigbite! Rancho and river look very nice. Is Evaristo located in Bayahibe area? Do you know appox price for the day trip?

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
4,436 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boca de Yuma

Evaristo is in Bayahibe that's why I recommeded him

I dont know. We went to Gato this week from Dreams an a colleague charged $50 return. So if you are thinking in going to Yuma and be all day should be around $100 but best to call him and find out.

NJ
Level Contributor
1,429 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Boca de Yuma

Thanks! I will call him closer to time of our trip. I forget to ask - how far is a drive from Bayahibe to Boca de Yuma?

Edited: 14 October 2013, 04:37
Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
4,436 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Boca de Yuma

Its about 40 min drive