We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Health precautions in Bayahibe?

Which Bayahibe hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
United States
Level Contributor
16 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Health precautions in Bayahibe?

I've been seeing various sites including the CDC recommending vaccinations for everything from malaria to hepatitis to typhoid for visitors to the DR. We are coming down to the Bayahibe area in February from the U.S. Are these really necessary?

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
4,430 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Health precautions in Bayahibe?

Hi

Best to contact your doctor

What usually is recommended is a boost of tetanus and hep A and B, which the second type is only transferred by body fluids so no travel related

About malaria, there is no malaria or very little in DR.

Some travel insurance do request to be under medication to be covered in case you get this diseases which is transfered by mosquito bite

This vaccines are recommend when you are travelling anywhere

Birmingham...
Level Contributor
150 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Health precautions in Bayahibe?

I had tetanus, hep A , typhoid and polio these were done in joint vaccinations so only two needles. Our travel insurance stated that we were not covered for tropical diseases if we did not have the required vaccinations. My partner has a phobia of needles so would not have them.

Best to check your travel insurance

Katie

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
Level Contributor
3,166 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Health precautions in Bayahibe?

The last malaria warning around resorts areas in Dominican Republic was in 2004.

Most travelers from UK have to have all vaccination otherwise won't be covered by insurance as Katie said, most travelers I've met from USA and Canada didn't have any for tropical illnesses.

We got polio as kids, so I never thought people don't have it :) It's always good to have hep A (and also B - done as a combination shot and it's once in a life time) and tetanus, even if you don't travel. You can get those even around the house, but many people don't think about.

Talk to your family doctor if you have any health issues. The travel clinics will tell you to get many shots - it is a business after all, and most of the time their disease maps are not updated.

Happy travel

Denise

Birmingham...
Level Contributor
150 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Health precautions in Bayahibe?

It was diphtheria I had not polio. Hep B was recommended but this was a course of injections and as I left it to the last minute couldn't have it.

Katie

United States
Level Contributor
16 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Health precautions in Bayahibe?

Thanks for your replies. I hadn't been hearing much about problems in the resort areas in the DR (we are headed to Be Live). The CDC recommends travelers take anti malaria and typhoid meds, however they admit the risk is "Low". They also say the same thing about Mexico where we've been going for the past 10 years and we've never even considered malaria meds for those trips. Not sure if I've had hepatitis shots, I'll have to check.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
99 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Health precautions in Bayahibe?

KJR007: I was on the CDC website as well. If you are up to date on your shots that the United States requires you to have you should be okay. The CDC website does recommend that travelers get the typhoid and the malaria shot. It is always good to check with your Physician to see what He or She recommends.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
25 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Health precautions in Bayahibe?

Another good preventative measure/can't hurt is Dukoral. It helps prevent traveller's diarrhea and cholera. 2 doses initially then a 1 dose booster if your last dose was between 3 months and 5 years before. We do a 1 dose boost every year (1/2 the cost) before we head to the Caribbean as it's protection is best for 3 months. We have had very few 'funny tummies' and then only for a day.

Edited: 24 December 2013, 23:23
8. Re: Health precautions in Bayahibe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 December 2014, 05:17