We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquito/stomach bug problem - true? Dreams La Romana

Which Bayahibe hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Mosquito/stomach bug problem - true? Dreams La Romana

We are feeling quite good about booking La Romana...but I am still worried about the mosquitos that seems to have plagued tripadvisors reviewers - but more esp the tummy bug. Travelling with 2 little kids...ways to avoid? traditional drinking bottled water, brushing teeth, peeled fruits and vegetables....any thoughts?

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
575 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquito/stomach bug problem - true? Dreams La Romana

I had mentioned this on another post. In December you get a lot of people on plane sick and you probably get a lot of people getting to resort with a bug. I'm not sure the resort has a lot to do with it other than people then eating and drinking too much on top of the bug. They spray for mosquitoes and while I have not looked for them I have never seen one at Dreams La Romana or any other Dreams (nor had a bite).

I said the other day. Here at home my daughter got sick last week with flu, my son then got sick, I got sick, and my wife then sick. I did not blame my wife's cooking (at least not on the illness) and didn't want to leave my house.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
575 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquito/stomach bug problem - true? Dreams La Romana

The resort has standards. The only thing yes to watch for is don't drink the water out of the sink, shower, etc. Brush teeth and clean brush with bottled water. Other then that the resort is using purified water. I wouldn't miss out on the fruit boat on the beach over worries of fruit.

P.S. My kids never had a days sickness at Dreams La Romana or any other Dreams for that matter (knock on wood). It can happen though but I don't think I would be pointing fingers at the resort unless it was an isolated incident. I'm sure with reviews of people getting sick the resort double checked all its cleanliness standards to make sure it wasn't them causing the issue.

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
Level Contributor
3,169 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquito/stomach bug problem - true? Dreams La Romana

You might see some mosquitoes around sunset, that's all. If you use OFF you won't have any problems.

Denise

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
98 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquito/stomach bug problem - true? Dreams La Romana

We (family of 4, kids aged 9 & 10) were there for a week in December and didn't have any issues with sickness that can be blamed on the hotel. One of my kids did get an upset stomach towards the end of our trip, but that can EASILY be attributed to the amount of pizza, slushies, fresh fruit, french fries, bacon, etc. that she ate each day.... her body just wasn't used to that.

As cbl1 mentioned, don't miss the fruit boat on the beach - best fruit we've ever had! Do use bottled water to brush your teeth, etc. We also drank water (which the wait staff poured vs. bottled) everyday in the restaurants and never had an issue so we're confident they only use purified water for all beverage/food preparation and service.

We didn't have any issues with mosquitoes either but bringing a can off bug spray can't hurt if you're concerned.

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquito/stomach bug problem - true? Dreams La Romana

Use repellent with Deet and don't overdo it with the Pineapple and Coconut as they are natural laxatives.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
113 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquito/stomach bug problem - true? Dreams La Romana

We were at Dreams in November with 2 kids , i was the only one to fall ill on the holiday on two different days , one day i was really sick and had to stay in bed all day , don't know what to put it down too as my kids ate and drank whatever they wanted and were fine for the whole holiday so was my husband , perhaps its just me having a more sensitive tummy ! The place was very clean and the food seemed well prepared so cant say it was the food or hygiene standards. As for the mosquitoes we were all bitten but once we started using Off that helped alot .

Dont worry about anything its a lovely hotel I'm sure you will have a great time .

Birmingham...
Level Contributor
150 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquito/stomach bug problem - true? Dreams La Romana

We took sanitiser gel which we used before eating but didn't have any problems with stomach bugs. We did have a few bites and used a repellent with deet before we went down of an evening.

Holly, Michigan
Level Contributor
153 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosquito/stomach bug problem - true? Dreams La Romana

Just returned from two weeks at DLR last night and I did use a very little spray of off on my legs in the evening and I had no bites. My husband used no spray at all and had zero bites. I did see in the two weeks I think 2 or 3 but if I only seen that amount of them at home in Michigan in the summer I would love it.

9. Re: Mosquito/stomach bug problem - true? Dreams La Romana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2015, 05:18