We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Viva Wyndham Palace-Overbooking

Belmont, Michigan
Level Contributor
13 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Viva Wyndham Palace-Overbooking

We are due to arrive at the Viva Wyndham Palace on April 6th. When I booked in October the hotel was rated #7 in Bayahibe and got mixed reviews but mostly pretty good. It looks like since February however the hotel has taken a nose dive. It is now ranked 9th in Bayahibe and people are posting constantly about being bumped to another hotel and receiving no compensation except for some stay within the next year. Does anyone actually know how often this is happening? If so any tips on how I can prevent it from happening to my family? I am growing very concerned.

nyc
Level Contributor
2,407 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Viva Wyndham Palace-Overbooking

I think most of the overbooked complaint have to do with high season. You probably lucky going before easter week as this week will definatly be packed.

You are arriving on a saturday, but if you get there early around noon, maybe you will get lucky.

If you do get bumped, see if they will include a daypass to the resort or negotiate a deal. The other resorts in the area share the same beach, dominicus. There is a non all inclusive right next door to the VDB/P. Put on a show if you have to, insist not to be moved.

nyc
Level Contributor
2,407 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Viva Wyndham Palace-Overbooking

Who did you book with? I could be wrong, but I think rewards members get bumped last.

At least thats the case with other rewards programs im part of.

Stoney Point
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Viva Wyndham Palace-Overbooking

Well good luck! More than likely being American you will be treated like a third class citizen. They really like to cater to the Europeans, (French and Italians mostly). Not sure why though as all they do is complain and they are very cheap! They made it very apparent that they do not care for Canadians or Americans. We had 3 rooms with them (8 people in group) and we were bumped out of the hotel due to over booking. We will never return to that side of DR. 1 hour plus ride from the airport and they are not very friendly on that side. If you can speak Spanish then you will be all set as all the shows are only in Spanish and most of the staff only speak Spanish, very little English. It is unfortunate that you book so long in advance and look forward to going only to get screwed over when you arrive by not getting what you paid for. They are scam artists at best. And if you booked through Expedia, good luck getting through to their customer service department. Worst customer service on he planet. I called 5 times the day after we returned only to be put on hold then hung up on. I spoke with 5 different people from 5 different countries who could hardly speak my language. All told me that I would get a call back or an e-mail from someone at Expedia within 24 hours. That was over 3 weeks ago and I'm still waiting! It's ironic when you book online it states that there are only 7 rooms left at this price and after I booked 3 rooms, 3 days later they still had the same caption for the time frame that I was going to travel. If you booked this with an actual agent, do yourself a favor, call them immediately and ask them to get written confirmation from the hotel telling you that there is a room reserved for you. The hotel told us that since we did not receive confirmation directly from the hotel then we were not guaranteed a room. That's BS as Expedia had no problem taking our money over the phone and quickly sending confirmation e-mails about our stay. Just be very persistent with these people at the hotel as they treat their guests like idiots and pretend like they don't understand you when you complain about being bumped. Good luck and I hope your vacation doesn't turn into a nightmare.

nyc
Level Contributor
2,407 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Viva Wyndham Palace-Overbooking

I dont know whats the trick with this place. I do know that its italian owned, and they book big groups from italy, and they care about their reputation in italy?

When booking thru expedia, or the like, it is third party. All expedia cares about is if you were accomodated some where of equal value. The fault lies with who you purchase from.

I always book direct with resort or their website. I pay thru them, and they deal with my problem direct.

What resort will you be sent to is a good question?

sw michigan
Level Contributor
297 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Viva Wyndham Palace-Overbooking

There have been some awful reviews lately. I am fully prepared for a 3 star resort experience (firm believer in "you get what you pay for"). We did reserve through Wyndham so I'm really not too concerned about getting bumped; however, the reports of poor treatment towards Americans does concern me. We are scheduled to arrive on Thursday, April 3.

nyc
Level Contributor
2,407 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Viva Wyndham Palace-Overbooking

Timwol, did you sign up for wyndham rewards? Its free , you build points, and get an upgraded room when avaliable. You also get more ala carte choices , with the membership, if staying beach side.

I dont think you should be worried about being americans. No one is singled out. English is just not one of the major languages spoken . The shows are in italian mostly, then spanish, not much english. But there is dancing which is easy to participate.

If your are sociable and need to mingle, a second language is useful. A little of any other language is useful, just in case.

sw michigan
Level Contributor
297 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Viva Wyndham Palace-Overbooking

Yes, I am a rewards member. Will VIP status be given automatically upon check-in, or will I have to show proof of my rewards membership?

nyc
Level Contributor
2,407 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Viva Wyndham Palace-Overbooking

If you reserved thru wyndham.com, and link your reservation with you member account, the VIP is automatic.

Some feel its a big deal, some dont. I think its a plus, especially staying at the beach side, or if you like name brand drinks.

Next trip that I make at the viva dominicus would be ocean front bungalow, in front of the trapeze. This area is less popular, but provides the infiniti pool, reef for snorkle, a buffet/alacarte building with water view, the vip lounge, and the lobster resturaunt. This area is pretty good for sports.

Even though you need to walk a bit to the sandy beach area (5 to 10 min.) This area is of the resort is quiet at night and has less foot traffic.

Belmont, Michigan
Level Contributor
13 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Viva Wyndham Palace-Overbooking

Thank you for the reply. We booked with Travelocity so I am sure it is just like expedia. We are praying for the best. I will never use a booking agent like this again. I will go straight to the hotel itself.

Belmont, Michigan
Level Contributor
13 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Viva Wyndham Palace-Overbooking

I see you are from SW Michigan. We are from Grand Rapids and after our winter I am praying for no problems. I just want warmth and sunshine. If neither of us our bumped and least we will know there is another Michigan family on premise.