We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping

Which Bayahibe hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bristol England
Level Contributor
30 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping

I am from the UK - we Brits are not accustomed to tipping.

Can anyone give advice on tipping room attendants - bar staff - waiters

e.g. how much and when?

many thanks

Mary

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,756 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping

This has been discussed many times do a search.

Do what you feel comfortable with - no rule says you need to adopt USA tipping customs when you visit the Dominican Republic an indpendent country

From my experience of living there and being married to a Dominican, tips are usually relatively small and for services offered. Best not to use tips as a bribe to gain better service and/or "jump the queue".

Bristol England
Level Contributor
30 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping

Thanks for your prompt reply and sensible advice

Mary

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
6,778 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping

At a resort anywhere we tip for good service to show our appreciation. If the housekeeper is good we'd leave $25 when departing after 10 nights (after making sure she was working that day). For waiters delivering drinks to us at the pool or beach we'd tip $2 sometimes. If a waiter provides excellent service at a restaurant we just leave $5. So not big tips but something to show our appreciation along with a "thank you".

manchester
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping

Great information, I am off to the IHD in a few weeks and was just about to ask the same question, also from the UK. and looking forward to my first holiday in bayahibe.

new jersey
Level Contributor
801 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping

you will love it at IHD! most people tip. we have been to this location 6 times and we meet up with other repeat guests from all walks of life who tip. we stay in contact with a good portion of the staff via Facebook. they love what they do. it not a high end job and tips are greatly appreciated. tip with your heart and what ever your most comfortable with. only you know your income. they are very hard workers and very polite. they treat everyone like a star good motto to have and practice.

manchester
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping

Thanks funtimes85 :)

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,610 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping

Oh yes, many many times has this question come up, all personal preference and according to your budget. Here's a recent link with the most opinions to get you started, happy reading....

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147293-i28-k71969…

8. Re: Tipping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2015, 05:15