We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BEES at Dreams

Which Bayahibe hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wantagh, New York
Level Contributor
735 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
BEES at Dreams

I was horribly alarmed at the massive numbers of wasps at Dreams LA Romana. If you or your children are allergic please take this warning seriously. We abandoned the main pool on day one. Then we were horrified while getting drinks at outside bars (the poor staff). Sure enough infinity pool also plagued. And then I got stung on the beach. Not acceptable at a resort. There seemed to be no measures taken to try to exterminate them either! I am NOT knocking DLR, but I wish I knew this in advance. My Husband and I both got stung.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
12 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BEES at Dreams

Yikes! I hope you registered a complaint with appropriate staff. I'm not one for exterminating bees, but wasps are a whole other beast. One of my 5 yr old will absolutely freak if this is an issue while we're there. Just a week and half away for us. Thanks for the warning.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: BEES at Dreams

while they of course exist, they are not a plague or such. i don't think i saw any for the whole year so far, an i do not live at a heavily spraying resort or residency, i live out there in the wild. if they are present in numbers at a hotel means that at such particular hotel is need to located their housings and take care of getting rid of'em. usually it would be a rare event that you find some whasps flying anywhere.

have fun

Mike

Wantagh, New York
Level Contributor
735 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BEES at Dreams

Mike, I am not exaggerating. Dozens of wasps swarming around the outdoor bar areas. I think due to drink spillage and fruit. Believe me. I was impressed by the brave staff. They completely ignored them. While I waved and flopped around like an idiot. Wasps are a nuisance around garbage and beverave areas and Dreams should address this. Not the worst thing in the world, unless you have allergies.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: BEES at Dreams

absolutely agreed, it seems to be a specific problem at a specifc place which needs to be addressed. in such described numbers they are bothersome always and for people with allergies even worse of course.

Mike

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
673 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BEES at Dreams

In defence of the wasps (or Bees as you incorrectly stated in the subject), they only stung you as, quote; "I waved and flopped around like an idiot". That's why the bar staff don't freak out I suppose.

Also, being located adjacent to a jungle you should expect a few critters. And it's thanks to the wasps that keep other nasty bugs away as they are renowned predators.

Many crop pests including horn-worms and scale insects which cost millions of dollars in loss annually are controlled by wasps. Without these predators, tomatoes, oranges, tobacco, and many other important crops would be so scarce that the price of them would skyrocket.

In fact the Yellow Jacket wasp (such as those around the pool bar) are actually pollinators and ensure the survival of many plant species, just like their very close relatives, the bees.

Constant spraying each wasp with Raid, for example, would be both time-consuming, expensive and would contaminate food & drink preparation areas.

I say don't annoy the wasps and they won't annoy you. Yes, I'm an animal lover and that includes wasps :)

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Bayahibe, La Romana
Level Contributor
3,253 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BEES at Dreams

I guess if we kill all the bees around we will not survive too long, we need them to continue living on this planet :)

Denise

new york
Level Contributor
293 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BEES at Dreams

I just returned from DR and got stung for the 3rd year in a row. I've come to expect that I will be stung every year. For some reason, I just attract them even when I'm not freaking about one near me. I was actually just laying in the pool floating around (not near a bar) and the bee stung me right in my palm. He must have been floating in the water. Of course, I screamed from the sting and then cried like a baby and my husband applied oil of oregano to neutralize the venom because I tend to get a severe localized reaction from stings and even mosquito bites.The oil of oregano worked like a charm. Yes, my hand was swollen and hard for a few days but I really went about my business just fine and the swelling contained itself. So bring some oil of oregano. It even helps with mosquito bites.. Previously, I stepped on a bee on the beach and one stung me on my upper arm while I was laying on the palapa. I did notice at Excellence that the bar staff really do a great job of ignoring the swarms of bees as they prepare the fruity drinks. They are pretty amazing. I hyperventilate just watching them. =) I don't think there is anything you can do. We need bees, they might like some of us more than others to our dismay, and we just have to deal. If you are severely allergic, make sure you bring the Epi-pen.

new jersey
Level Contributor
801 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BEES at Dreams

janine wow you got stung and hurt your foot as well. yes read your review :) the wasps like mike said i really never seen any in dominicus. it can be just attention to detail cleaning and garbage control. perfumes do smell like flowers. check out the review right before yours janine. tell me that one is not self generated and fake to up sell of the preferred section? andy does a nice job giving info on here. for every one like that one hurts the credibility from the resort. hope your foot heals fast.

Wantagh, New York
Level Contributor
735 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: BEES at Dreams

Hi Funtimes! I did have a great time despite the bumps. I just try to be very honest. Lots of Dreams fans. I hope I haven't gotten anyone mad. Andy, the flopping around occurred the day after Igot stung on my chest when I looked down to see a wasp crawling on me and went to swipe it away, and my husband was sleeping in his Lounger when he got stung. I don't advocate needless chemical spraying, I meant that they need to throw down water and keep the bar area as free of spilled sweet liquid and such. I actually work for an exterminator and that kind of advise is standard for outdoor concessions and schools etc. Dreams is needing to do something before a child or adult with life threatening allergies gets stung. It really did affect my trip. I know jungles house many animals and insects, I am well travelled and not spoiled. I just forgot to add it to my review and wanted to mention it. BTW, the DR is gorgeous and I can't wait to return to explore its different coasts!

new jersey
Level Contributor
801 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: BEES at Dreams

janine i was hoping you were going to tell us about Saona trip. :) Samana has some nice beaches. a friend drove us from domincus. close to a 4 hour drive. rice patties and nothing but palm trees and hills surrounding it. the water beautiful. not sure how to spell it La plyaita. not very easy to find. but worth the trip.