We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach vs. Del Mar

Toronto
Level Contributor
21 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Beach vs. Del Mar

We're definitely going to IB* Beach/Del Mar. My understanding was that, in terms of "niceness", it goes:

Beach --> Del Mar --> Lindo --> Maya --> Grand

So...

for the day I'm planning on, any clue why the Beach is $1488 per adult while Del Mar is $1338 per person?

We were at the IB* Beach last Feb, and my only thought is that the beach/water is nicer at Beach. And I vaugely remember someone saying they liked the breakfast/lunch buffet at the Beach better than the Del Mar...

anyone?

USA
Level Contributor
700 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach vs. Del Mar

I thought this was odd too. We stayed at Beach side, and saw no real difference between the Beach and Del Mar, and payed more for Del Mar side this time. I thought they were mirror images or side-by-side but all the same? Maybe not.

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
8,629 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach vs. Del Mar

The two sides are the same. The only difference is the decor. They share ALL restaurants, bars, pools, beach, etc. Usually different tour operators sell differents sides of the resort so that may be the reason for the price difference.

Either side gives you ALL THE SAME food, drink, beach, pool, etc. It makes no difference. Go for the best price and have a great time.

Georgetown, Canada
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach vs. Del Mar

We have been to both resorts. First was the DelMar and then the Beach. I like the DelMar lobby, but prefer the Beach for it's location, which is closer to the Commercial Centre and for walking around the Lindo/Maya (especially after dinner--I always eat too much on vacation!) If you are buying a package vacation from Toronto, you may pay more for the DelMar, because only Signature Vacations offers it. Sunwing, Transat and Conquest sell the IB Beach, and I have found their pricing is more competitive (most times. )

The DelMar is a year older than the Beach, but there is no difference except for the room decor. The resorts share everything, and I know our family enjoyed the food from both resorts. They are great resorts!!

Shawnigan Lake...
Level Contributor
5,478 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach vs. Del Mar

We stayed on the Del Mar side but actually liked the lobby bar at the Beach side better!

Westland, Michigan
Level Contributor
683 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach vs. Del Mar

Hi Gurgi,

Schmerl's comments are right on. The Beach and DelMar are mirror images of each other - you can use the facilities at each! We "love" the DelMar lobby in the evening as so much is going on, but love the Beach during the day - especially the lobby bar. You can use any of the buffet restaurants and the "gourmet" restaurants at both resorts. They share the same pool.

We've stayed at the Beach 6x in the last 3 years (as it's the cheapest for us out of Detroit via FunJet) and we'll be there from 3-27 to 4-3 and CAN'T WAIT - it's our home away from home!

By the way, we are in our 50's - so no young children - but the pool her is so long, it's NEVER crowded and we've always been able to find a quiet area.

Hope this helps.

Orangeville
Level Contributor
97 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach vs. Del Mar

HI Gurgi

we just got back from our 2nd trip to the Delmar...amazing again!

I would watch ITravel2000 or SelloffVacations for pricing....it usually the best. I cant figure out why Delmar is always a bit cheaper other than its just sold by Signature Vacations(I beleive) to us in Ontario....maybe they are a bit more reasonable?

Take which ever one is cheaper for sure...doesnt matter at all because other than sleeping you just hang out at the side you prefer! Have Fun!!

Drea

7. Re: Beach vs. Del Mar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2009, 08:23