We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iberostar Beach vs. Maya - Help!

Chapin, South...
Level Contributor
683 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Iberostar Beach vs. Maya - Help!

Help Please,

We've stayed at the "Beach" 5 times so far and loved it! The pool is amazing - the service top notch - everyone can use the "Commercial Center" for the creperie, tapas, burgers, fajatas, etc. - so my question is - would it be worth it to upgrade to the Maya for $1200 extra? for the week? What are the advantages? Are the buffets, restaurants, rooms, etc. better? The "Snake Bar" looks awesome. Any comments, suggestions, IMO's would be appreciated. Thank you all!

Level Contributor
398 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Iberostar Beach vs. Maya - Help!

Depending the the time of year you are going, the Lindo/Maya have airconditioned buffets so that is a plus. The Lindo guest can use much of the Maya except a couple of restaurants so I would check the price on the Lindo, it usually quite a bit lower. We were at the Del Mar before and I agree with you, the pool is so amazing!

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
8,732 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Iberostar Beach vs. Maya - Help!

The rooms at the Maya are bigger and newer. You have the use of the entire resort if you stay there. You can eat at an ala carte restaurant every night and you have a concierge to make those reservations for you.

You have air conditioned lobby bars in which to lounge.

Only you know if these things are worth the extra money. Did you price the Lindo? You stil get all but two of the restaurants the Maya guests have and you have all the other perks of the Maya guests.

NJ
Level Contributor
209 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Iberostar Beach vs. Maya - Help!

I agree with the 2 other posts. Check out the Lindo for better pricing and the same amenties as Maya. Maya is all suites, private pools per building and extra restaurants. Lindo has beautiful rooms, an amazing pool and ala carte every night. They also have a concierge per building to make reservations. We've been to Del Mar/Beach and Lindo/Maya. Maya is our favorite, but Lindo is more affordable. Remember if you book Lindo or Maya you have privileges on the Del Mar/Beach side as well. Good Luck!

Chapin, South...
Level Contributor
683 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Iberostar Beach vs. Maya - Help!

Thank you all for your input - I will price the Lindo (as price is somewhat of an issue). Like you say, we can always use the amenities at the DelMar/Beach if we stay at the Lindo - we were looking for a littler newer/larger room.

Thanks again.

elsewhere
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Iberostar Beach vs. Maya - Help!

Regarding Maya rooms vs. Lindo, I did do a comparison when we stayed at the Maya last August. Maya rooms are definitely larger, newer and a cut above all the way around. Step down sitting area with large upholstered sofa and a large desk vs. Lindo's sitting area on the same level as the bedroom area, with a small rattan type settee and a small desk. Maya has double sinks in the bathroom, jacuzzi and a much larger shower vs. one sink and a combination shower/tub unit at the Lindo. The bar area above the mini-fridge was twice as large in the Maya vs. the Lindo. Two large closets at the Maya ... can't remember for sure, but I think the Lindo only had one closet.

The three private pools at the Maya are very small and, IMO, only useful if your room is very close to them. Our rooms were not close to any of the private pools and we never used them.

FWIW, the two extra a la carte restaurants at the Maya (Gourmet/French and Japanese) were the nicest restaurants at the Paraiso complex, IMO. Especially the Gourmet.

But to be honest, I don't know that I would have paid $1200 (x 2 rooms = $2400) for the differences between the two hotels. The Lindo rooms were perfectly acceptable. We had booked the Lindo but were lucky enough to get a free upgrade to the Maya just for asking when we checked in.

Chapin, South...
Level Contributor
683 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Iberostar Beach vs. Maya - Help!

Wow newtoplaya,

Thanks for your comprehensive review - the Maya rooms sound wonderful... but like you say,is it worth the extra $$$ - same sun, same beach, etc. I honestly think we'll stay with the Paraiso Beach this trip (leaving 3-27) and think about the Maya for Thanksgiving - one thing is for sure, the Iberostar properties are the best.

Thanks again and happy vacationing to everyone.

Sharon

elsewhere
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Iberostar Beach vs. Maya - Help!

Hi MISharon ... clearly I became somewhat confused when reading through this thread, as I compared the Lindo vs. Maya rooms, when the real original question was Beach vs. Maya! But as some have suggested, the price differential of the Beach vs. Lindo may be less than $1200. Boy, that sounds like a lot of money for not much more in terms of amenities, doesn't it?

Even though the buffets at the Beach are not air-conditioned, many folks think that the variety of food is better there than at the Lindo/Maya. We had lunch at the Beach one day and I would agree with that. The lack of air-conditioning didn't bother us, even in August.

I was just looking at the candid traveler photos of the Beach and it is really pretty. More mature, lush landscaping than the Lindo/Maya. Rooms are smaller and more dated, but most people don't spend much time in their rooms anyway. The main reason we booked the Lindo/Maya was for the wave pool and lazy river for our kids. Otherwise, the Beach would have been fine for us, especially with that price difference.

Here's a crazy idea -- could you book a few nights of your stay at the Lindo/Maya just to get the experience of the different a la cartes, pools, ice cream shop, the snake bar, etc.?

I envy you going in less than three weeks!

Chapin, South...
Level Contributor
683 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Iberostar Beach vs. Maya - Help!

Hi Newtoplaya - (interesting TA name - should be "expert-to-playa" and that's a compliment)!

What a great suggestion - spending a couple of days at the Maya - I think we'll go with our original reservations, then inquire about possibly spending a few days at the Maya once we get there.

Three biggies for us are the huge pool, open air restaurants, and lush landscaping - and the Beach has all of that - everyone's talking that the Maya and Grand are the best - we did take a tour of The Grand last year - and while it is "Grand" - is is also sterile, IMO. No lush vegetation, all restaurants (or 99%) are enclosed and the beach chairs by the pool are in the grass. To us, it's the same weather - so not sure about the $1,000 per night price tag.

Anyway, New - thanks for all your input. I feel better already.

When's your next vacation? (Booking from Detroit via FunJet over Thanksgiving the price for 2 is $2,400 - what a deal!) - Just food for thought.

Sharon

Level Contributor
398 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Iberostar Beach vs. Maya - Help!

I agree with you on the Grand. We also toured it and neither my husband or myself really cared for it. We said the same thing, it looked too sterile.

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Puerto Morelos, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Iberostar Beach vs. Maya - Help!

Sharon,

FYI - I will be there the same week and Apple had the best rate (hotel only) and it was about $50 cheaper than the Funjet. Apple has Del Mar and Funjet has Beach. The Apple deal was gone one day so I booked Funjet but the next day Apple put it back. I am going the 25th - 1st but a family of 4 and it was $2485 at Funjet. The Del Mar on Apple was $2432. Both included RT transfers for 4. I hope this helps.

Preziam