We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How dressy do you dress for dinner?

Nottinghamshire.
Level Contributor
56 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
How dressy do you dress for dinner?

Hi,

We are starying at the Del Mar in 3wks and was wondering how dressy people went for dinner? For ladies do they wear nice dresses or is very much dressed down in shorts and t-shirts? Are there some restaurants you dress up more in others.I have some lovely summer dresses i want to wear and a few evening style ones too which like to get their yearly outing but i dont want to be over dressed.

Thanks.

Northern US
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How dressy do you dress for dinner?

Women will wear anything from shorts to nice summer dresses. Capris and nice tops are also very popular. The most casual dress is for the buffets. In the a la cartes men are required to wear long pants and collared shirts. The women tend to dress nicer in the a la cartes as well.

Georgetown, Canada
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: How dressy do you dress for dinner?

You will see all types!! Whenever we go, I always bring capris and pretty little tops, and a sundress or two. It seems to be the norm, however we have seen some women in dressier and also cut-off jean shorts---in the buffet (not a pretty sight!! LOL!) As far as men, yes, they are required to wear long pants in the a la cartes, with the exception of the Steakhouse and Tropical, as they are outside. Remember, if you feel uncomfortable or get hot, you can always return to your room after dinner, and change!! Have fun!

Lakeville...
Level Contributor
2,536 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How dressy do you dress for dinner?

What I have found when packing for IB trips, is lay your clothes out, then put back 50% of them.

You will live all day in your swimsuit. I wear my swimsuit under a cute wrap or coverup to the breakfast buffet, eat, then hit the beach.

I wear the same swimsuit/cover up (dry of course) to the lunch buffet.

Dinner, I wear either a flowy skirt (comfy) or capris and both with a sleeveless top.

You do not need 10 pairs of skirts and capris, mix and match diff nights.

Have fun and pack LIGHT!

Kim

Bloomingdale...
Level Contributor
448 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How dressy do you dress for dinner?

Great info fluffy. Kim is 100% correct. The norm for women at the ala cartes are either cute sundresses or capris and dressy tops. I would say evening wear would be overkill. We were there 2+ weeks ago and the atmosphere is more casual.

I did not wear 50% of what I packed.

Enjoy your trip.

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
375 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How dressy do you dress for dinner?

Familyx5 - we have stayed at the Del Mar four times over the past 6 years and I struggled the first time to know what to wear in the evenings. Like you, I didn't want to feel overdressed! As other posters have said, there are some women who wear 3/4 jeans and so on but they are outweighed by those in pretty summer dresses. I tend to wear Per Una dresses and feel comfortable in these - not underdressed and not overdressed. Having said that, I've seen women wear elegant evening dresses and they look great, you just need to be confident! Hope you have a fab time - I'm sure you will love the Paraiso. We got married at the Maya in 2006 and are going back in October to celebrate our 2nd anniversary at the Grand.

Cazz

irvine scotland
Level Contributor
175 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How dressy do you dress for dinner?

hi, people dont really bothered getting dressed for dinner or special restaraunts(went to brazilian and a man sitting next to us had shorts and sandles on, went to mexican and a man was wearing flipflops),they said dress code for men are very strick and mandatory,the best thing about this is when i first went to book i told the girl that you book with that i was going to wear my £400($800 dollar) kilt,and was told if i did i wouldnt get in, sometimes you gotta laugh.

alex:)

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How dressy do you dress for dinner?

Alex--the questions are--Did you wear the kilt? And, did you get in?

Hope you had a good time!

irvine scotland
Level Contributor
175 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How dressy do you dress for dinner?

Hi nj2pdc , the answer to your question was yes i got in.

Southern Maine
Level Contributor
648 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How dressy do you dress for dinner?

And I bet you were the coolest, most comfortable man in Mexico! Or is the kilt wool?

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
2,955 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How dressy do you dress for dinner?

Dress for dinner was varied. At the mexican restaurant for instance men were allowed to enter in shorts, jeans, flip flops, etc. Women and girls were in shorts,etc. For the international though dress code was strictly enforced. They turned down any man that did not have dress pants on. Kids up to age 18 were for the most part allowed to enter in anything they showed up in. Woman were all over the place wearing everything from skimpy shorts and t-shirts to very dressy outfits.