We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Deadbolts

Ormond Beach...
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Deadbolts

Not to beat a dead horse, but I asked the person who had someone enter their room during the night if the deadbolt was on and they said yes, that there are master keys that can trip the deadbolts, is that possible? If so, what good are deadbolts? I'be been to IB before and am trying to discount a lot of these reviews but this is worriesome if true.

Shawnigan Lake...
Level Contributor
5,494 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Deadbolts

I thought she said numerous times on numerous sites that she had NOT set the dead bolt that night!! It still has a horrible thing to have happen but I always make sure the dead bolt is set be it a 5 star hotel in Montreal or Vancouver or a resort anywhere in Mexico.

But yes I do think that all deadbolts have a key to unlock them BUT am sure that only higher ups would have them.

I was reading on a cruise ship forum that the staff can overide the deadbolts on all cruise ships which makes me feel safer at Iberostar or Marival in Nuevo ( my other home away from home).

Personally I discount a lot of what is said in these reveiws.

Ormond Beach...
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Deadbolts

This was not the traveler from Boston, but the more recent review of the Lindo by Beachgirl. She said that the management knew it the intruder was an employee because they have these mastekeys. To quote her review:

"Apparently all the master keys and door locks are computerized and leave a log of when and who goes in and out."

She also said the responsible party was reprimanded.

I have never had a problem in three visits but some of these posts seem valid. I sure hope if it's employees that they get it straightened out by fall.

elsewhere
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Deadbolts

Hi NJLynn ... are we talking about BostonTravel007 and travelpost33 who were robbed at the Del Mar? If so, I directly asked travelpost33 if she had secured the dead bolt and she admitted that she had not.

See MJM1331's thread about the break in, and the entries dated June 22nd @ 9:01 p.m. and 9:55 p.m.

If you're talking about different posters, never mind. :-)

elsewhere
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Deadbolts

Oops, sorry, I should have checked the recent posts before pressing submit. I did not know there was a break-in at the Lindo. Wow, what is going on at the IB Paraiso complex.

Ormond Beach...
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Deadbolts

I was referring to the review of the Lindo by BeachGirl1957 who responded to my question as to whether the deadbolt was on and it was.

elsewhere
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Deadbolts

Yes, thanks, NJLynn ... I just read Beachgirl's review. I can't imagine why any staff member would enter a room unasked if the deadbolt was on. It's hard to fathom. "Reprimanded"? That person should have been more than reprimanded in my opinion.

Shawnigan Lake...
Level Contributor
5,494 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Deadbolts

Newtoplaya I agree!!! I would have shown the employee the door if they entered the room unlawfully!!

NJ
Level Contributor
305 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Deadbolts

I just wanted to add my 2 cents here. I haven't seen anyone mention this but... I'm not sure if all of the rooms have these....

I was just at the Del Mar from June 16th-23rd, and our room had the deadbolt plus an extra lock that was sort of like a chainlock but was a solid loop thingy.lol. Sorry not sure what they are called but I know that there was no way someone could have broken into our room without them busting the door down. No key could have opened this. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I know that chain locks aren't that great for safety but it would make a lot of noise if someone tryed to break through it.

Just curious if all of the rooms have these extra safety features. We were in building 15.

Ormond Beach...
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Deadbolts

I know exactly what you are talking about from when we were there. I thought that's what posters were saying could be opened by staff, I sure hope that's not the case. Anyone have an answer?

Southern Maine
Level Contributor
648 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Deadbolts

The rooms have deadbolts that are turned from the inside and latches that are swung over a bolt- the loop thingy- in addition to the standard lock that is tripped by the key card. (The loop thingy is the one I always forget to unlock before I open the door.)

Use it all and check to see that your slider is locked too.