We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Few questions about the IB chain

CT
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Few questions about the IB chain

My travel agent said he was putting us up at the Del Mar because he says he thinks its the best. I have read reviews of other places and to me it sounds like the Lindo and Quetzal/Tucan are better. Does anyone have an opinion on this?

Next, are the mosquitos bad in this area?

Can you swim in the water? Are the beaches rocky?

How is the food. Which resort has the best restaurants?

What excursions/tours do you recommend? I heard the mayan ruins were cool.

Do any of the hotels provide kayaks, snorkeling gear, or small boats? Or do you have to pay extra.

Any tips when staying here? Like make reservations early for restaurants, ect?

Thank you so much guys.

Northern US
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,026 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Few questions about the IB chain

The Del Mar is part of the Paraiso comlex of 5 resorts. Besides the Del Mar there is the Beach which shares all faclities and amenities with the Del Mar. The Lindo which is a "step-up" from the previous two, the Maya which is a step up from the Lindo and the luxury adults only Grand which is their flagship resort.

The mosquitos were never a problem when I've been there.

You can swim in the water but is quite often red flagged. There are rocks in spots and when the seas are murky they're hard to see.

The food gets mixed reviews, some like it other hate it. It seems that many return visitors think the quality is not as good as it once was.

It's a good idea to make your reservations as soon as you arrive. If you stay at the Del Mar you have 3 a la cartes for a 7 night stay. The Lindo and Maya you can have a la cartes every night if you wish.

Northern US
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,026 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Few questions about the IB chain

Oops, hit submit before I was done!

Several non motorized water sports are provided at no extra charge.

The ruins are impressive! My favorite was Coba which has a pyramid you can still climb. This excursion is often packaged with a visit to a Mayan village and a cenote swim and was one of my favorite side trips.

CT
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Few questions about the IB chain

What resort is shared with the Maya?

Thank you for your helpful response.

Dallas
Level Contributor
104 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Few questions about the IB chain

The Iberostar complex at Playa Paraiso consists of the del Mar, Lindo, Beach, Maya, and Grand.

(you can click on the "Playa Paraiso Hotels" link at the upper left of this page for this listing - IB is the only hotel complex at Playa Paraiso currently).

I have never stayed there (headed to the Grand this Wednesday), but have stayed at the IB Quezetal and had a great time.

Northern US
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,026 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Few questions about the IB chain

The Maya shares most of it's facilities with the Lindo. However there are 2 restaurants and 3 small pools that are for Maya guests exclusively. If you are a guest of the Lindo or Maya you can use any of the facilities at the Beach/Del Mar but if you stay at the Beach or Del Mar you are not entitled to use the Lindo/Maya facilities.

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
8,286 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Few questions about the IB chain

At the Lindo you can eat at an ala carte restaurant every night of your stay and you have a concierge in your building to make your reservations. If that is important to you, than choose it over the Del Mar. Guests of the Del Mar are guaranteed three ala carte dinners for a seven night stay. The rest of the time you eat at buffets (which are pretty good!).

The LIndo rooms are a bit bigger than the Del mar al though the rooms at the Del Mar are plenty big.

All the IB Paraso resorts share the same beach. We enjoyed the ocean very much.

Yes,,make your dinner reservations for your stay as soon as you get there.

For loads of info on all the Iberostar resorts, go to:

www.iberostar-board.com/boards/index.php

dracut,ma
Level Contributor
213 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Few questions about the IB chain

The Quetzal/Tucan is smaller than the other ib's. It has a jungle theme with animals right outside your room. There is a seperate pool for the adults. The beach is much nicer. The water is a beautiful color and there are no rocks.

The Del Mar shares the beach with the Lindo,Maya & Grand. As the previous poster said the Del Mar can not use the other resorts ammeneties. The Del Mar pool is huge! We love the pool. The Lindo/Maya pool has a VERY lazy river and a wave pool. The food is somewhat better at the Lindo/Maya. My dh loves how they have cream for his coffee. They also have a bar/bathroom right on the beach where the Del Mar does not. I have never encountered mosquitos there but have at the Tucan. The Del Mar & Tucan are more casual than the Lindo/Maya. It's all what you like. We have stayed at all but the Grand and would happily stay at any of them. Good luck on a decision.

elsewhere
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Few questions about the IB chain

The only thing I would add to the expert comments above is that the Tucan/Quetzal beach apparently took a pretty bad hit from Hurricane Dean (or some other recent tropical storm) and is not as great as it used to be.

We stayed at the Maya and it was nice. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

MadMaya! Your spelling! Whazzup.

Wakefield, Ma
Level Contributor
6,432 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Few questions about the IB chain

The Del Mar/Paraiso Beach does have a it's own bar and grille right on the beach with a rest room a few feet behind it. They also have larger main buffets than the Maya/Lindo and many actually say they like the food there better than the Maya/Lindo. Both have HUGE pools and the beach is big and beautiful most love it. Basically with the Maya/Lindo you get the room that's a little larger and the option to eat a la carte every night. The buffets are air conditioned at the Maya/Lindo as opposed to the open air ones at the PB/DM. They all have the same great service and are kept so clean. The grounds are beautiful but the Maya/Lindo is more open and the Pariaso Beach/Del Mar is more jungley. Here's an aerial view of all four taken a few years ago before the grand was built. From left to right are the Maya, Lindo, Paraiso Beach and the Del Mar all the way to the right. You can see the jungley paths I'm talking about. Lots of wild birds and creatures.

www.locogringo.com/maps/tour/162a-t.html

Wakefield, Ma
Level Contributor
6,432 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Few questions about the IB chain

Here's the aerial view taken before the beach erosion of the Tucan/Quetzal. You can see the size difference.

www.locogringo.com/maps/tour/162a-t.html