We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any last min suggestions for Del Mar visit?

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
Any last min suggestions for Del Mar visit?

Well I have been reading the posts since Janiary and I feel pretty prepared for our trip next Sunday. I was wondering if anyone had any last min suggestions that havent been brought up yet? I know not to pack too much, a few dresses will due for the restruants, no snorkel gear, What about watershoes, anything I should be sure to bring? Any suggestions that helped your vacation run smoothly or didnt....please let me know;) Happy traveling!!!

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Any last min suggestions for Del Mar visit?

Sorry...yes i can spell January;) Just half asleep;)

Wakefield, Ma
Level Contributor
6,432 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any last min suggestions for Del Mar visit?

Folding umbrella incase you get rain and don't forget the Bubba Keg or stainless mug! Have a great time!

Bloomingdale...
Level Contributor
449 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any last min suggestions for Del Mar visit?

You are good Kaola...

For this time of year, do not forget lots of sunscreen (mucho hot)and remember to pack it in your suitcase, not your carry-on.

We brought watershoes but only used them once or twice. I wouldn't bother next trip.

Make sure you have comfortable shoes/sandals and bring moleskin (bandaids, just aren't the same). Blisters happen...even with shoes you've worn in.

Go with the flow...relax and enjoy! Remember, vacation is what YOU make it!

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Any last min suggestions for Del Mar visit?

Thanks for the suggestions so far, I definatley plan on having a wonderful time, no matter what. The only thing I can think of that could ruin it is lost luggage, hurricane or my husband drinking bad water as he did when we were in the Dominican;)

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
2,955 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any last min suggestions for Del Mar visit?

Have a great trip. Here are some things I learned along the way. More non-resort tips than actual Del Mar tips.

Pack all prescription medication in the original containers in one zip lock bag in your carry on bag. The meds should be carried by the person who has the script unless that person is a child. No over the counter meds may be in your carry on they must be packed in your checked bags. (I didn't know about the OTC meds rule and we had to transfer them to our checked baggage while about 100 angry passengers waited behind us.)

Only 3 ounces of liquid are allowed on the plane. I was held up at security in Mexico because I forgot about a water bottle that I had in my very over stuffed carry on bag.

Don't eat or drink at the food establishments at the Mexican airport. While I can't prove our illness came from their it is a big probability. They have several stores that sell water bottles, soda's and pre-packaged snacks use them if you are hungry or thirsty.

Invest in a sturdy waterproof holder for your passports, boarding passes, visa forms, etc. Keep everything together. Store in safe as soon as you arrive.

You will be given forms on the plane(tourist visa and head of household) to complete. Customs takes the one group form but the "one per person" form they stamp and give back to you. Don't loose them. You need that form to get home.

Even if you don't plan on using them, call your credit card companies and alert them to your trip. There is nothing worse than having an emergency in foreign country and then having your credit card denied for security reasons.

Bring a watch but hide it in your bag unless you want to meet people. The only clocks on the resort are on the clock radio in your room. My husband always wears a watch. Without exaggeration he must have been asked "what time is it" at least 25 times a day.

If you see someone on the resort with a T-shirt or hat or bag that has a logo from back home - stop them. We met the nicest people that way. Our daughter is going to a very small little known college. While eating one day we saw this guy walk past with the logo on his shirt. We couldn't believe it. We immediately stopped him. His daughter had just graduated from the college - he actually ended up sitting down at our table to talk. If I saw anyone with anything to do with PA I stopped them. Every single person appeared to be happy to chat about back home.

Don't let little things get to you. Relax and enjoy your vacation.

I hope I didn't take up too much of your time with my tips. As the mom I am forced to worry about things that no one else seems to - I found knowing info ahead saves headaches along the way.

ENOY!!! Please post when you get back.

new jersey
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Any last min suggestions for Del Mar visit?

justcallmemom, thanks for all that info! We are headed to the Del Mar Aug.21-28 and can't wait. The tips you provided me with are great. The waterproof bag for passports,etc. makes sense, just never thought of it. I always wear a watch, I will have to make sure I attach it to my beachbag instead of my wrist!! What was your favorite restaurant? Any other tips? thanks...barbara

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
8,789 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any last min suggestions for Del Mar visit?

Make all your ala carte dinner reservations AS SOON AS YOU CHECK IN! We liked the Japanese and the Mediterranean (seafood) the best, but food is up to the beholder!

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
2,955 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any last min suggestions for Del Mar visit?

Favorite restaurant...uhmm. If you have seen my previous posts you know that I was very disappointed with the food. But I'll try.

By far the best meal is breakfast at the Lindo lobby. We liked the new international restaurant because the menu has a little bit of everything. The italian was good. The steakhouse was not. Not necessarily food wise as much as service. It was the only place on the resort (other than the front desk) where we encountered rude staff. The Mexican on the other hand - food wise was horrible but had the nicest staff on the resort. We did not eat at the seafood (shellfish allergy), the cajun (missed our reservations) and the Japanese (could not get reservations)

In all honesty after going for 3 years if it weren't for me, the rest of my family would prefer to eat at the buffets every night. The men dislike putting on the long pants in that heat and they prefer a more relaxed atmosphere. I don't have any particular loyalty to the ala cartes it is more for the "mom" in me. I am afraid if I give up the ala cartes that it will start a downward spiral of everyone eating when ever they want to. I like sitting down as a family and enjoying the meal (I don't get that at home.) The kids (they are 18 & 20) can do what they want during the day but they know dinner is mom and dad time.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,551 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any last min suggestions for Del Mar visit?

We've traveled often since the everchanging security rules but have never had to take our over the counter medications out of our carry ons to check them. As long as they are not in liquid form, I don't see a reason for this and could not find anything about it on the TSA site. It's just so frustrating when you follow the rules and some TSA agent decides to make his/her own, but there's no arguing with them, it will only delay your security check. Just make sure they are in their original bottle with a valid expiration date.

Dallas
Level Contributor
104 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any last min suggestions for Del Mar visit?

"No over the counter meds may be in your carry on they must be packed in your checked bags. (I didn't know about the OTC meds rule and we had to transfer them to our checked baggage while about 100 angry passengers waited behind us.)"

We never had problems with OTC meds when I want through security at DFW. My advil, pepto, sudafed (the REAL kind even), immodium, and OTC zyrtec went through security at both DFW and the airport in Cancun on the way back with no problems.