We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancun Airport

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
65 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Cancun Airport

This is a warning to travellers using the Cancun airport.

The weigh scales at the check-in counters are off. Way off.

Almost everyone on our flight was over their limit on the return journey which made for some very angry travellers.

How can you be 7 kilos over when all you purchased was two t-shirts and a plastic pail? And when you were 3 kilos under on the way down? That's 22 pounds!

At $20 US a kilogram for overweight baggage, it would have meant $140 added to my bill.

I took out everything I could carry, wear or shift into a carryon.

What galls the most is that we were 3 passengers with just 2 pieces of luggage! If I had brought a third piece of luggage, I would have been fine even though I'd actually be taking more weight on to the plane!

This is a scam to pluck more money from tourists and should be investigated.

Almost ruined my trip.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cancun Airport

I've seen the "weight scam" at airports in dominican republic. Once I fell for it. The next time I KNEW what my suitcases weighed and I refused to pay.

NOW I have a very good luggage scale. I weigh BOTH suitcases (if I take two) before I leave and when I get to the airport they are within 1 lb of scale weight at JFK. So on my RETURN I only need to weigh ONE suitcase. I make sure the large suitcase doesnt go over 44-45 lbs and since I've been doing this, I havent had any problems.

I will say that I've never had a problem leaving Cancun. If you travel coach class, airlines are sticklers for the weight. I havent traveled business class in a while, but they (unnamed airline) would let you go if you were 2-3 pds over.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
65 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cancun Airport

Mine was a cattle-car Canadian charter.

You know who you are!

Toronto
Level Contributor
164 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cancun Airport

I've been hit up with over weight charges all three times I've left Cancun. Skyservice!!!!!

Northern US
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cancun Airport

I've never had a problem with being overweight on the return flight although my luggage is usually heavier. I think it's due to the humidity so your clothes are heavier.

I know some folks that bring "disposable" items. Their oldest underwear and sox and tennis shoes don't get packed for the trip home.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,281 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cancun Airport

Its often a problem at CUN--especially if using charters. The charters do not have employees at CUN and rely on service companies to handle their flights. Of course, many scheduled airlines do the same--but at least the one I worked for had better supervision at CUN by our own employees.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cancun Airport

The dominican "scam" i referred to above was AMERICAN AIRLINES. And AA employees....at least I THINK they were.....

This issue is the main reason I try to keep to less than 45 pounds. That gives me a litle "wiggle room" with the weight.

N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cancun Airport

I agree with Karenjme: We go to Punta Cana 4-5 times a year and I have seen this happen many times. We have a portable scale and weigh our luggage before we leave for the airport each way.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cancun Airport

We bought a luggage scale from LL Bean which is very accurate and we now take it with us. If I got questioned at Cancun, I'd be the guy pulling my scale out and showing the "dude" his scale is all wet!

With most airlines holding one at 50lbs, this scale has come handy with the wife's shopping!!

Media, PA
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cancun Airport

Wow....been to Cancun several times flying US Air and never had that problem. I am now concerned because this time we are flying US 3000 which is a Charter and I may run into it being someone mentioned that it usually happened with Charter flights. I weigh my suitcase on the scale before we go and always make sure it is a few pounds lighter for that coming home trip. To the person who said they bought a scale at LL Bean how big and heavy is that to travel with?

Burlington, Ontario
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Cancun Airport

We just returned from Cancun on Saturday and had no problems flying with Air Transat out of Toronto. We were restricted at 20 kilos per bag and our bags weighed the same in Toronto and Cancun. They didn't weigh our carryon's.