We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nudity/Topless At Iberostar Resorts

Quincy, Illinois
Level Contributor
2 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Nudity/Topless At Iberostar Resorts

Anyone have info about how Iberostar Resorts handle guests that want to be topless on the beach? We will be traveling with children to one of their resorts next month. From the reviews I've read, I haven't heard any mention of it. But I've heard that it can happen in the Riviera Maya area in some locations. Anyone have any comments?? I just kinda want to know in advance.

Thanks!

Stowe, Vermont
Level Contributor
7,129 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nudity/Topless At Iberostar Resorts

There is topless sunbathing on the beaches at the Grand and the Lindo/Maya. Not sure about the Del Mar.

RMP
Chicago
Level Contributor
431 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nudity/Topless At Iberostar Resorts

I think for the most part you will see it on the beach, I believe that there arer signs posted around the pools that it's not allowed. We were at the Lindo a few years ago and a girl was topless at the pool,she was asked to put her top on.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,435 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nudity/Topless At Iberostar Resorts

I've been to various beaches at the Riviera Maya and other areas of Mexico; I've always seen a few women topless. The proportion of topless vs. tops on tends to vary depending upon how many Europeans happen to be there since topless sunbathing is almost "de rigeur" in many parts of Europe.

The hotel pools are a different kettle of fish though, unless the resort is adults only, I've never seen anyone topless around the pools, just the beach.

If you are really worried about this, I'd politely suggest you reconsider Mexico as your destination and think about staying in the US.

Shawnigan Lake...
Level Contributor
5,532 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nudity/Topless At Iberostar Resorts

Mexico public nudity is illegal, that said, we saw some topless bathers on the beach (not the pools)at Iberostar while have never seen any topless bathers on the Westcoast.

It didn't really seem to be a big deal unless someone made it a big deal, if my son had of been there, yea, he would have seen the first breast he had seen since being weaned at 11 months but really it wasn't like the women were playing beach volleyball or anything.

Erie, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,113 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nudity/Topless At Iberostar Resorts

I think I've seen topless at every hotel I've been to in Mexico (maybe not at the Occidental Grand Flamenco Xcaret). I've seen women topless sunbathing, in the ocean and walking down the beach. There are people from all over the world in Mexico and many cultures don't see it as offensive or inappropriate in any way. I'm lactation consultant and to my kids breasts are for feeding babies and it's just not a big deal.

I personally get more wierded out by speedos and things, but that's my hang ups.

Shawnigan Lake...
Level Contributor
5,532 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nudity/Topless At Iberostar Resorts

EWWWWWWW Actran .....that is a visual I so do NOT want.....{{{{{{shudders}}}}

<-----hates speedos

Erie, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,113 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nudity/Topless At Iberostar Resorts

Sorry, that was a typo, I meant Speedos and THONGS.

RMP
Chicago
Level Contributor
431 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nudity/Topless At Iberostar Resorts

Isn't it funny that usually the people who have no business wearing a speedo or thong are the ones wearing them!!

Wakefield, Ma
Level Contributor
6,432 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nudity/Topless At Iberostar Resorts

I have to agree Actran and quincy. I also have a problem with the speedos (nothing personal anybody). Mexico doesn't promote topless sunbathing but as Actran said it is part of the European culture to sunbathe topless so they look the other way. Europeans are a big part of Mexican tourism and you will find topless sunbathers all over Mexico. Most resorts don't allow it around the pools (except for a few adults only resorts)

Wakefield, Ma
Level Contributor
6,432 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nudity/Topless At Iberostar Resorts

You posted the same exact time as me RMP. You are right about that. It's not a pretty picture.