We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Keeping track of the kids at IB*

Southern Maine
Level Contributor
647 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Keeping track of the kids at IB*

Traveling with two teens who will want their independence, but Mom and Dad will want to keep in touch with them as well.

Will walkie-talkies work? Is there a channel we should avoid?

Wakefield, Ma
Level Contributor
6,432 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Keeping track of the kids at IB*

I have heard of people using the walkie talkies. Some people also opt to rent cell phones from different places such as cancunvalet.com/ It's priced reasonable. That way there you can all be sure to be able to call home too if you need to. They send you the phones before you leave for vacations so you have them when you land.

Northern US
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Keeping track of the kids at IB*

Legally you are not permitted to use walkie talkies in Mexico that were brought from the US. That being said, many do without a problem. However if you decide to use them just be prepared that they might be confiscated and you may be fined.

This will explain in more detail:

http://tinyurl.com/5jdj59

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Keeping track of the kids at IB*

Holy cow!! I never would have thought that there would be a problem with walkie-talkies. We are going to the Lindo in 20 days!!!! Can't wait. My three little ones (and two big ones) received walkie-talkies for Christmas with the plan to use them at the Lindo!! Should I leave them home??? Wouldn't want to start off our vacation on the wrong foot!!!

Northern US
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Keeping track of the kids at IB*

That's a decision only you can make. Odds of them being confiscated are probably slim but that is a risk you'll run if you decide to bring them. If it were me I'd leave them at home.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Keeping track of the kids at IB*

MadMaya - Thanks for the reply - I'll discuss with my husband and then make a decision.

Erie, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,098 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Keeping track of the kids at IB*

We took walkie talkies to the OGFX, (didn't know they were illegal). But they only worked for about 100 feet. They were worthless, and I returned them when we got home.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Keeping track of the kids at IB*

Actran - Thanks for the reply. Only 100 feet!!! Doesn't sound like they would be ANY GOOD AT THE LINDO!! Can't wait to get there - 19 days and counting!

Alberta
Level Contributor
96 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Keeping track of the kids at IB*

I had never even thought of this, but when we were there in February we saw a couple of families using them, and none of the staff seemed to care...

9. Re: Keeping track of the kids at IB*

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2009, 06:20