We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

clarification on what to eat

New york
11 posts
Save Topic
clarification on what to eat

We'll be traveling to Mexico for the first time, staying at the Paraiso Maya. I know you are supposed to drink bottled water, stay away from vegetable salads, and eat only fruit that has been peeled. But, what about ice? They use crushed ice in all those wonderful fruity drinks, and i want to make sure we have a great trip and no one gets sick. Thanks

Level Contributor
2,575 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: clarification on what to eat

I am not sure where you got your information from...

When staying at the resorts, you can eat and drink everything that is prepared for you, wheter it is on the buffet or not

all the water in the resorts is filtered and is fine.

If you travel off resort, to say Fifth avenue..again, the food and such in the restaurants is FINE.

What you would not want to do, is order something from a STREET VENDOR. I dont even do that in Boston or NYC...you have no idea the sanitation of the cart.

Some hotels have non potable water in the rooms, but it will tell you that right on the sink.

Mexico is not a THIRD WORLD COUNTRY...you are not venturing into the deep congo, rather a major civilved metroplotan area.

Relax and enjoy. You have more chance of drinking too many frozen drinks and getting dehydrated and the runs from the mass quantity of fruit you are drinking.

Drink lots of water and stay hydrated, and relax.

Southern Maine
Level Contributor
648 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: clarification on what to eat

Here's some information from the US State Department:

To prevent illness, you should take the same precautions in Mexico as you would at home. Cold food should be cold and hot food hot. Above all, keep your hands clean. When swimming, don't ingest the water from the pool/ocean.

Portsmouth, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen, Akumal
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: clarification on what to eat

You should be able to eat everything and there is not a problem with the ice. Use the bottled water when you brush your teeth. Remember hot food should be hot and cold food should be cold. Do not eat anything that is not the proper temperature.

We take acidopolis before we go and during the time we are there. Also take along some Pepto Bismol in case you do experience an upset.

We have been 9 times and never had the first problem.

4. Re: clarification on what to eat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2009, 00:17