We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

EDR vs. Secrets Maroma Beach

Philadelphia, PA
7 posts
Save Topic
EDR vs. Secrets Maroma Beach

Does anyone have any experience comparing these two resorts? I am booking my honeymoon for September 09 and am trying to choose between them. I know that the beach at EDR is obviously not as great as SMB but are there any other differences? Would anyone choose one over the other - why? Thanks!

cleveland, ohio
Level Contributor
251 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: EDR vs. Secrets Maroma Beach

I haven't been to EDR but just got back from Maroma and had a wonderful time. We have been to Riviera Maya a few times but nothing compares to this resort.

It was the most romantic beautiful place we have ever been to. The beach is so wonderful. It is so nice to take long walks on the beach. The food - everything was excellent. They have swimout rooms that some people really liked. Personally for a honeymoon I would go with one of the beach front rooms with a jacuzzi on the balcony for more privacy.

California
Level Contributor
444 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: EDR vs. Secrets Maroma Beach

My husband and I were at EDR 2 years ago and really enjoyed our time there. At EDR they have several pools and they remind me of rivers because they go on and on. I liked that part but being from California I am a beach person at heart and the beach at EDR was not great. We are going to SMB in mid June and can not wait to see this "prefect beach" The pool at SMB looks a lot smaller then the one at EDR and I guess that is because one has a nice beach and the other does not. The food at EDR was very good for an AI and the rooms were nice, we had one looking out at the beautiful spa area. The spa at EDR is great, my husband and I had a couples massage and I had a facial. I do not think you could go wrong with either resort. I guess if the beach is important to you then you may want to stay at SMB. I will write a review about SMB in late June. Let me know if you need more info on EDR. have a great honeymoon.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: EDR vs. Secrets Maroma Beach

I would choose SMB over EDR. SMB has a MUCH nicer beach, beautiful infinity pool, lovely rooms (we had a casita at EDR and it was nice but the balcony was not usable). We were not impressed with food at EDR and included wines are not very good if you are a wine drinker. The wines at SMB are better and the dinner we had there was fresh and tasty.

We found the standards of maintenance at EDR needed improvement (rust and chipped tiles in the pools, broken steps, etc) and did not care for the overall ambiance of the resort.

SMB has a nice social vibe and is a really pretty property, modern and sleek. It would be my choice is these are your two options.

Philadelphia, PA
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: EDR vs. Secrets Maroma Beach

How long ago were you at EDR?

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: EDR vs. Secrets Maroma Beach

Two years ago.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,373 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: EDR vs. Secrets Maroma Beach

Caviargal, I want to know how your balcony at EDR was not usable? We ate breakfast out on ours every day, laid on the hammock, and fell asleep one night on the comfy bed. My hubby spent way more time on the balcony then he did in the room.

Can't comment on SMB haven't been there yet, but we enjoyed our stay at EDR and our recent one at EPM.

7. Re: EDR vs. Secrets Maroma Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2009, 00:22
8. Re: EDR vs. Secrets Maroma Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 23:20