We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

back from IB Grand, taking questions

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
426 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
back from IB Grand, taking questions

We returned last night from our Grand vacation. The place was fantastic and even nicer than I thought it was going to be. I'll write a detailed review in the next few days but here are some general comments:

- Cancun airport was pretty empty. Our flight left Atlanta at 8:30 am and were at the Grand by 11 am. We did the private transfer through Apple so we could be at the resort quickly. Also, they are still doing swine flu checks at the airport.

- At check-in, the staff told us they were running at 30% occupancy. Apparently this fell to under 25% when one of the corporate groups left over the weekend. They are anticipating a big corporate group later this week though. The place did seem pretty empty. We spent a lot of time at the tranquility pool and there was never more than 4-5 people there. Barely any people at the beach either.

- Services affected by the low occupancy: Oceanfront building 70 is entirely shut down. The dinner buffet is gone, as well as the oceanside breakfast buffet and one of the lunch buffets. All four a la carte restaurants are open nightly though. The customer service was top-notch everywhere you went.

- The guests were probably 90% Americans. Though it was mostly couples, there was also a wedding party and two groups of young women doing getaway trips. There was also a corporate group of 45 IT employees. Unfortunately the group kind of took over the main pool and was loud at times. We could even hear them yelling at the lobby bar when we were dining at the Italian restaurant. Corporate groups definitely detract from the romantic atmosphere of a resort, as this is the second time we've had an issue with this.

- Iberostar did an amazing job with the layout of the resort. It's never a long walk to get to anywhere on the resort, and there are plenty of opportunities for great pictures. The decor is unbelievable.

- The food was very good. Our favorite was the Japanese restaurant (awesome fried rice with spicy sauce). Nothing could beat the desserts at Toni's though- we split 4 desserts between the 2 of us. We were also very impressed by the breakfast and lunch buffets. Three different types of freshly made doughnuts and ten different types of fresh squeezed juice!

- We had a garden view room booked, but we upgraded to an Oceanfront corner room (room 7101) for $75 a night. We didn't spend much time in the room, but it was a small price to pay for the great view when you are there.

- The beach/ocean were very nice! One concern of mine was that the ocean was going to be too rocky and not very nice. But the area directly in front of Building 70 was ideal. Huge beach with tons of palapas, and the ocean was virtually rock-free and quite clear. Red flag days every day, but plenty of people in the water (including me).

- Weather was beautiful. High 80's and not a single drop of daytime rain.

Ask away if you have any specific questions!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,138 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: back from IB Grand, taking questions

Was the $75 per night the first price they offered or were you able to negotiate? What floor is 7101? Did you request a certain floor or room?

Were you able to check in and go to your room around 11:00AM when you arrived?

Did you visit the commerical center and is everything open?

Did you visit the spa? If so, what services did you have?

Did you play golf at all? If so, how was it?

I think that is it for the questions. For now. Thanks for answering!!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
426 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: back from IB Grand, taking questions

Twist:

- These are the upgrade prices they gave me from our Garden View room (per night per room): $50 for Oceanview, $120 for Oceanfront, and $150 for Corner Oceanfront. With a little negotiation, they agreed to knock 50% off whatever we chose. We decided to go with the Corner Oceanfront. We were on the first floor on the far right of the resort. This was actually the only one left. Since Building 70 is closed, they don't have as many Oceanfront rooms to work with. I'll post a picture of our view with my review.

- Our original room was ready at 11 am, but since we changed the room, we couldn't get into the new room until 1:30 pm.

- We went to the Commercial Center a couple of times. Everything appeared to be open there. We didn't eat at the Taco or ice cream shops though. We went to Galaxy club one night. That was actually pretty fun- they played normal club hip hop and the club was crowded with twentysomethings (mostly from Maya/Lindo).

- We didn't do any golf or spa. We did check out the gym and go to the spa pool. The various jets were fun there but the water was uncomfortably warm.

scranton...
Level Contributor
3,083 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: back from IB Grand, taking questions

MGoBlue,

Glad you enjoyed the Grand.

Did you find that you used the jacuzzi on the balcony much? In other words, do you think it's worth paying for the upgrade? We are already booked for an oceanfront room. Don't know what the cost would be to upgrade to a corner room from there.

Also, my husband is 6'3". Would he fit comfortably in the jacuzzi on balcony? In some pictures it looks small and in other photos it appears much larger???

Thanks in advance.

Kim

scranton...
Level Contributor
3,083 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: back from IB Grand, taking questions

MGoBlue,

Glad you enjoyed the Grand.

Did you find that you used the jacuzzi on the balcony much? In other words, do you think it's worth paying for the upgrade? We are already booked for an oceanfront room. Don't know what the cost would be to upgrade to a corner room from there.

Also, my husband is 6'3". Would he fit comfortably in the jacuzzi on balcony? In some pictures it looks small and in other photos it appears much larger???

Thanks in advance.

Kim

scranton...
Level Contributor
3,083 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: back from IB Grand, taking questions

Sorry for the double post. I've been having tech problems with the TA site.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,138 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: back from IB Grand, taking questions

Thanks for the replies. How did you like the ground floor oceanfront jacuzzi room? Do you think it is worth it to have a ground floor if it is the only one available?

Did they say anything about reopening the other OF building?

Did you email the resort prior with any requests, like anniversary or birthday celebration?

Sorry for the questions, but I am trying to get a game plan here since we are booked in the basic room and want to upgrade upon arrival if possible.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
426 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: back from IB Grand, taking questions

Kimlo:

We did not use the jacuzzi on the balcony at all. If we had been at the resort for a longer time, we probably would have. It wasn't necessary or anything. The listed upgrade price from Oceanfront to Oceanfront Corner is $50 per night per couple.

As to your size question, the jacuzzi was pretty big. A 6'3 man can fit in there without any issues. Unless you are even taller than him :)

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
426 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: back from IB Grand, taking questions

Twist:

We were happy with the ground floor. My wife prefers it over taking stairs/elevator actually. My only issue was that sometimes ground floor rooms are blocked by landscaping. But this room 7101 had a clear view of the beautiful ocean. The landscaping to the direct right wasn't nice though, because that is no longer the Grand property. Assuming you get the upgrade price of $50-$75 per night, I would definitely try to get into Oceanfront (corner or not).

No mention of when Building 70 is re-opening. I would guess 1-2 months..they even removed the Concierge desk.

They said they are going to use this time to do some work on the building. You are going in June, right? I would be prepared to hear that no OCF rooms are available. There was literally only one remaining when we checked in.

We didn't email with any special requests. We were celebrating an anniversary, so they did bring by champagne. I asked the butler one night to set a bubble bath as well. I inquired about the chocolate covered strawberries others have mentioned, but it was a 500 peso charge.

A couple of more side notes- we met a couple that said they met the owner of Iberostar (Miguel Fluxa) on their previous two trips. He always stays in a Corner Oceanfront in Building 71. His two daughters were staying at the resort last week as well.

Also- absolutely no construction noise at the Tranquility pool while we were there. Good thing too, since that was our favorite pool.

NY
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: back from IB Grand, taking questions

Isn't it funning that when discussing upgrades at check-in there is always only "one room left".

Wakefield, Ma
Level Contributor
6,432 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: back from IB Grand, taking questions

Good point!