We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach and Del Mar closing due to low occupancy?

Northern US
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,026 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Beach and Del Mar closing due to low occupancy?

According to a poster on the Iberostar board that just returned from the Beach, the Del Mar and Beach will close in 2 weeks because of low occupancy. Guests booked at these resorts will be housed at the Lindo and Maya as was the case during the swine flu hysteria. Here is a portion of the post.

>>Sad news at departure that due to very high vacancy's the Beach and Del Mar sides will be closing in 2 weeks. The Grand which looks great was only at 25% occupancy (not an option for us since we had a 18 month old and a 5 yr old with us )

The bell boy told us that they will be moving people from the Beach and Del Mar to the Lindo and Maya sides. They are hoping that they can reopen by December. Hopefully they can work on "fixing up" the property as it has some wear from our last visit in 2004. <<

I will try to verify this information today.

Wakefield, Ma
Level Contributor
6,432 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach and Del Mar closing due to low occupancy?

Thanks MM. That's really sad. I thought occupancy would have been up by now. I wonder if other resorts are also going to be downsizing. I would think if it's that's slow that it's not isolated the this resort alone. Let us know what you find out.

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
8,287 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach and Del Mar closing due to low occupancy?

That would be so sad. I was looking for prices during Christmas week and the IB Paraiso was even high than Secrets Maroma!! If occupancy is really that low, I would think their prices would come down.

Texas
Level Contributor
853 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach and Del Mar closing due to low occupancy?

This is sad news but doesnt really surprise me. I was there 27 July till 3 August and although they said it was 60% occupancy it was nowhere near that. The restaurants were empty at night, when i went to the Gourmet there were only 3 tables eating including us. The other restaurants were only about a quarter full. I said to hubby, goodness with all the waterfeatures, electric, workers etc how do they keep it running? I mean everywhere you look there are people cleaning, there are water features and lush landscaping everywhere.The outside lighting alone must cost a fortune.

North Canton, Ohio
Level Contributor
754 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach and Del Mar closing due to low occupancy?

This is kind of a surprise if its true I visited my brother's & family at the delmar and the pool was very busy as was the beach. I know when they were trying to get dinner reservations they could not seem to get in before 9pm. I will ask around at the grand today and see if info is avail.

Texas
Level Contributor
853 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach and Del Mar closing due to low occupancy?

ooops I was at the Maya.

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
8,287 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach and Del Mar closing due to low occupancy?

It seems that information about th possible closing is supposed to come out this afternoon. All those people who work there will be without jobs again if this is true.

Wakefield, Ma
Level Contributor
6,432 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach and Del Mar closing due to low occupancy?

Thanks Craig.

Northern US
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,026 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach and Del Mar closing due to low occupancy?

I'm still waiting for an official response from Public Relations at the Paraiso complex.

Chicago
Level Contributor
97 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beach and Del Mar closing due to low occupancy?

we are staying at the del mar aug 26th-sept 2nd. If its not at maximum capacity and they are moving us to the lindo and maya, arent these 2 parts of the resorts nicer so wouldnt that be better?

Northern US
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,026 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beach and Del Mar closing due to low occupancy?

Yes the Lindo and Maya are higher level resorts with more amenities so for folks that booked the Del Mar or Beach it's definitely a good thing.

During the swine flu closings, lots of folks that paid for the Lindo and Maya weren't thrilled that people who paid considerably less were staying there too. Many felt that they should get upgraded or reimbursed some money.