We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pls Help! Grand Hotel Paraiso or Secrets Maroma?

England
Level Contributor
26 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Pls Help! Grand Hotel Paraiso or Secrets Maroma?

Hi, I had made a decision to book the GHP but a Travel Agent has put me off saying that the Maroma is far superior. I'm beginning to wonder if she was confusing the GHP with a different Iberostar.

Can anyone tell me if there is much difference between them, and which in your opinion is the better hotel. We like a little bit of luxury, good food & a nice beach:)

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,522 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pls Help! Grand Hotel Paraiso or Secrets Maroma?

My personal opinion would be the IB* Grand. Ive been there twice and it is amazing. I wonder what your travel agent thinks SMB has that makes it superior to the Grand.

At SMB you do not have to wear a wristband or make dinner reservations. If those are deal breakers you should choose SMB.

If you are looking for luxury, good food and nice beach the Grand definately fits the bill.

Providence, RI
Level Contributor
180 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pls Help! Grand Hotel Paraiso or Secrets Maroma?

I just booked for the IB Grand. My first choice was Secrets Maroma, but upon pricing it, I was able to get a better rate for the IB Grand. I can't imagine not having a good time at either place. They both look incredible. The beach at SM looks very nice, but $1000 more nice? Not sure about that . . . I do think if the prices were the same, I would have picked Secerts Maroma. That beach does look amazing.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
767 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pls Help! Grand Hotel Paraiso or Secrets Maroma?

That shocks me that SMB was more expensive than IB Grand. I have stayed at both and the Grand is definitely a more luxurious, upscale resort than SMB. Good for you for finding such a great deal at the Grand! You'll love it!

west sussex
Level Contributor
157 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Pls Help! Grand Hotel Paraiso or Secrets Maroma?

I have not been to Secrets,but the Grand was fantastic,I loved the beach as you could walk,we made the mistake one year going to Sandles awful,and the Adventura was just as bad sorry to all lovers! This year we are going back to the Grand, we sat in the travel agent for about two hours trying to be persuaded to go to another resort cant remember the name,a lot cheaper! They obviously made more commission,out of the cheaper one.

Naughty :( hope you have a wonderful time which ever resort you go to Misty xxx

Minnesota
Level Contributor
822 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Pls Help! Grand Hotel Paraiso or Secrets Maroma?

With my ever changing hotel picks I am currently leaning towards the Grand and SMB. I have not stayed at either but am surprised that your ta would say SMB is better. From all the research I did they seem similar in level. The only reason I think SMB will win for me is the no reservations for dinner. Otherwise I would probably pick the Grand.

Stowe, Vermont
Level Contributor
7,084 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pls Help! Grand Hotel Paraiso or Secrets Maroma?

SMB $1K more than the Grand? Seriously not worth it. I've not stayed at SMB but I have walked all over the property several times while staying at the Grand. I can honestly say that from what I saw, SMB is in the shadow of the Grand in many, many ways.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
767 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pls Help! Grand Hotel Paraiso or Secrets Maroma?

Yes Spotsmom, I agree.

IB Grand has:

A much more vast beer selection (5 vs 20).

A much more vast wine selection and you get an entire bottle as opposed to just wine by the glass at SMB.

Better quality food and service at all the al la cartes.

An indoor spa pool with massaging hydrotherapy stations and a smoothie bar.

A true tranquility pool.

Nicer, larger pools and pool furniture spaced nicely apart.

Nicer beach palapas spaced apart more so than SMB.

Much more vast, lush grounds.

Nicer bed linens and a much more comfortable bed.

Personalized mini bar in room with both mini liquor bottles and full sized bottles and mix upon request.

Butler service.

More personalized service from the staff as a whole.

scranton...
Level Contributor
3,083 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pls Help! Grand Hotel Paraiso or Secrets Maroma?

Misty,

When are you going back to the Grand???

lancashire
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pls Help! Grand Hotel Paraiso or Secrets Maroma?

Kimlo love the new pic is that at EDR.

West Chester, PA
Level Contributor
4,100 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pls Help! Grand Hotel Paraiso or Secrets Maroma?

sap115,

Where did you find such a good deal on the Grand? I am looking at doing one of those two resorts in October and they are only around $50 apart for my dates.

Michelle