We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

50th birthday-where should I go?

Erie, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,100 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
50th birthday-where should I go?

I will arrive at Canc.un airport in 93 days to celebrate my big fat fabulous 50th birthday. Air is booked, but I haven't decided on the resort. We LOVE the Grand (have 3 weeks until we arrive with our 3 adult children).

Should we go back to the Grand or should we try somewhere new?

Have been to Royal Hideaway 4 times and was disappointed last time. The other places we have been have all allowed kids because our youngest is just turning 18.

Food, beach and service need to be top notch and beach loungers need to be comfy.

tx
1 post
Save Reply
51. Re: 50th birthday-where should I go?

Had my children late in life so it will be many years after I turn 50 to be able to go to the Grand. That said, is the Iberostar Lindo the top AI choice for "luxury" comfort, service, food, beach, pools, girls 10 & 13 mature for their age, and a picky husband who's never experienced the "coolness" of the cancun/yucatan vacation experience. Any advice from all you experts? I'm driving myself crazy trying to read all the comments and narrow it down to one resort. Our vacation week is July 31 - August 8

Thanks!!!

p.s. love those azure shoes!

Erie, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,100 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
52. Re: 50th birthday-where should I go?

The Maya is the top family resort at the Iberostar Paraiso complex. But Grand Velas is supposed to be the bomb for family resorts. Not sure where it is, think it's a bit closer to PDC. It is quite pricy though.

As far as the loungers at Secrets Maroma, they are the standard loungers most resorts have and they really do a number on my back. The Grand has really comfy beach loungers.

You do have to make reservations at the Grand for dinner but that gas never bothered me. It gives me a reason to get my butt off that comfy lounger - LOL.

New York
Level Contributor
141 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
53. Re: 50th birthday-where should I go?

Reservations don't bother me either since it is pretty convenient to make them. As far as wristbands (which are clear), you forget that you're wearing one after a day or two.

Edited: 22 July 2010, 17:11
North Canton, Ohio
Level Contributor
754 posts
Save Reply
54. Re: 50th birthday-where should I go?

Younger than WHO ? I don't know I, I won't be 50 till next year...You must be getting flustered, I see you put Havana Rum last on your list......priorities ??

PS..our baby turned 21 this year, so calm down it could be worse

Erie, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,100 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
55. Re: 50th birthday-where should I go?

Yes, I'm older than you, but it's okay. I'm younger than my husband and one of my best friends. The multiple milestones makes me feel old. My middle one turned 21 last November.

As for the Havana, something had to be last on the list. Doesn't mean it's not important though.

North Canton, Ohio
Level Contributor
754 posts
Save Reply
56. Re: 50th birthday-where should I go?

We are both getting up there but were happy. I noticed Le Blanc isn't on the short list, have you stayed there before ? I know Spotsmom seemed to like it..

scranton...
Level Contributor
3,083 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
57. Re: 50th birthday-where should I go?

Actran...we all know you will end up at the Grand but we'll still play along. (I do the same thing with the Caitas. LOL)

I asked how important a pristine beach was because pretty much everything is perfect at EDR Casitas except for the beach. There are a lot of rocky areas and sandbags. Neither have ever bothered us but then again we are not ones to go "swimmimg" in the ocean. We just like to look at it and hear it...and know it's there. To some people a pristine beach is high on their list of priorities, to others...not so much. Even with that said...there are still some nice stretches of beach at EDR, as the resort is quite spread out.

Erie, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,100 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
58. Re: 50th birthday-where should I go?

You all are probaly right, I probably will end up at the Grand. And I told my husband tonight I think people are often disappointed because they expect it to be perfect. But usually its perfect if you try to go with the flow and keep it all in perspective.

But I still want an awesome 50th birthday.

I want an awesome beach with no sandbags and I'd like to avoid seaweed, but know there's no guarantees of that.

Looking at Le Blanc. Looks like a possibility. My husband doesn't like the concrete jungle aspect. I said maybe a split stay and he said no and I reminded him it's my birthday and we will do whatever I want. He understands. That's why we've been married 31 years - LOL.

scranton...
Level Contributor
3,083 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
59. Re: 50th birthday-where should I go?

Craig,

Spotsmom also said she wouldn't go back...but I think that had more to do with location than resort.

North Canton, Ohio
Level Contributor
754 posts
Save Reply
60. Re: 50th birthday-where should I go?

Actran-- talk nice to your husband , remember you still want shoes. The concrete jungle part of Le Blanc is also a bummer for us. I am sure you will have a awesome birthday no matter where you stay