We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Max occupancy in Grand rooms

Greenwich...
Level Contributor
347 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Max occupancy in Grand rooms

Has anyone stayed with 3 adults in 1 room at the Grand? We were looking to have 2 parents and one 20 year old (their child but now adult lol) share a room and didnt know if this was an option or if the max is 2 adults per room?

Johnstown...
Level Contributor
1,938 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Max occupancy in Grand rooms

I know the Grand used to allow 3 to a room but they changed the policy recently, early August I think.

According to the Apple and Funjet sites max occupancy is now 2 adults per room. I tried booking a triple on the IB* site and got a message "There is no room category that will accommodate the number of guests specified." Funjet and Apple also came back with a "not available" message.

I think its a new policy and is designed to make some extra cash by forcing people either to pay a single supplement or find a fourth.

NIk

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
1,703 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Max occupancy in Grand rooms

Or it could be because the rooms are designed for two people. I would love to take my 20 something kids to this resort but I would like them to have their own room and I am positive they would not want to share with us. The rooms are comfortable but not that large.

North Canton, Ohio
Level Contributor
755 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Max occupancy in Grand rooms

They did change the policy in Aug. They allowed 3 to a room up to I think Aug 10 th. I find it strange that you can still book a triple at the Grand in Jamaica

Johnstown...
Level Contributor
1,938 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Max occupancy in Grand rooms

"Or it could be because the rooms are designed for two people."

Not all of them are set up for just 2 people wince some have 2 beds (like the one I had last year) so in theory could house 4 people just like the other IB* resorts and the bathrooms are larger with 2 sinks plus the shower and tub are seperate. I agree though that depending on who you are traveling with it may be more comfortable to have only 2 in a room say for a group of girl friends on a girls getaway it may not be an issue with privacy and would be more cost effective to book 3 to a room.

I also wonder if they've taken all the double bed rooms and converted them to single bed units since that would mean at least some rewiring to move the bedside control panel and that would mean replastering, painting, new beds, etc. to accomodate the new laout.

I think its partly a money grab and partly to make the feel more "couply" especially if they do change all the rooms over to single beds.

nik

Edited: 16 September 2010, 15:14
Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
8,630 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Max occupancy in Grand rooms

But the Grand is not a "couples" only resort...it is an adults only resort. I like to travel with my sister or female friends and do NOT want to share a bed with them. I hope they keep rooms with two beds.

Erie, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,102 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Max occupancy in Grand rooms

I really doubt they would take away the rooms with double beds. I think they will just allow no more than two people to a room. I hope my 3 kids enjoyed their stay at the Grand last August cause I don't think we can afford three rooms.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Max occupancy in Grand rooms

If they have changed their policy it does not meand they changed the rooms.

Some rooms have two beds in them en I am pretty sure they would just change policy and say only two can stay in those rooms instead of 3. Why on earth would you spend ,money chaning rooms / beds when all you need to do is change some copy on your site and brochure.

There are plenty people traveling with a sibling a parent or platonic friend and want two beds instead of one. They are no fools so dont worry.

Amy

Johnstown...
Level Contributor
1,938 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Max occupancy in Grand rooms

I agree they probably haven't changed the rooms I was just wondering if they would since they changed the policy.

I also think its a silly policy since the resort isn't "couples only" but adults only and as I said it hurts people traveling for getaways with friends. And last year I met a number of other solo travellers and parties of friends who had travelled together.

But then as a solo traveller I also think the single supplement resorts charge is absurd. During peak periods it makes some sense but during periods of low occupancy I think it tends to hurt the resorts with the higher surcharges - but thats a whole other can of worms :)

nik

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Max occupancy in Grand rooms

I travel alone and love the huge beds all for myself.

But the price tag is enorm indeed.

I understand it a little as a room has to bring in an x amount of money to be lucrative so me staying in one alone is more expensive than with two. Morst of the time it is the TA's that sting you because they base their prices on two in a room while a hotel just sells rooms not occupancy.

After so many years of paying a lot I just try not to think about it and just write over the cash and start looking forward to not being able to touch both sides of the bed at once :)

Amy

Johnstown...
Level Contributor
1,938 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Max occupancy in Grand rooms

Agreed that the reason is they count on a certain return based on double occupancy which makes sense during busy periods. Why lose 1/2 of the revenue you could be making? But I usually travel during the slower part of December (but this applies to any slow period) it seems silly to risk losing some revenue for the room by charging a surcharge when occupancy is low and you would think they would want to encourage visitors.

I've also learned to accept it as the way things work but it still bother me :)

I also don't book resorts that charge a higher surcharge and the IB* always seem to have a lower one than most.

nik