We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iberostar Grand Playa Paraiso vs. Excellence Riviera Cancun

Ann Arbor, Mi
10 posts
Save Topic
Iberostar Grand Playa Paraiso vs. Excellence Riviera Cancun

Hi Everyone!

We would appreciate some advice as to which resort to book. This will be our first time staying north of PDC as we have spent the last 3 yrs staying 25 min south of PDC (Palladiumx2 and Barcelo). We are in our early 40's and love the beach/ocean and going dancing at night at disco/live bands. We will be traveling 11/11-11/19/10. Any thoughts/recommendations ?

Edited: 30 September 2010, 17:30
Swindon
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Iberostar Grand Playa Paraiso vs. Excellence Riviera Cancun

we stayed at the Excellence sept 2009 and the Grand this sept 10. We enjoyed them both the Grand was the best by far. Both have nice beaches,but there is more black sea weed at the Excellence. Didn't see any at the Grand. Excellence had 3 shows per week which is in an open area which did get very hot. The Grand has a show every night with a live 8 man band rather than backing tracks.Once the show finishes there is a disco in the complex which was big and designed as a proper night club,sadly the Excellence only has a bar which plays music with a sort of dance area which disappointed us and we ended up going back to our room early were as at the Grand we never had an early night..Also at the Excellence there was a singer/ group who played outside at 19.30.till about 2100 but we were usually eating our evening meal at that time. We were happy during the day at the Excellence but the night time lets us down for entertainment. The grand has it all.

Ann Arbor, Mi
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Iberostar Grand Playa Paraiso vs. Excellence Riviera Cancun

Thanks to JackyDs! We really appreciate the feedback! We definately like to go out at night after dinner and I think we are going to book the Grand. Any other feedback/advice about the Grand? Restaurants? Top shelf liquor? Rooms? I think the package we are looking at is a jr ste.

Stowe, Vermont
Level Contributor
7,086 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Iberostar Grand Playa Paraiso vs. Excellence Riviera Cancun

I been to both. No comparison in my opinion. The Grand outshines Excellence in every facet. Have a great trip!

Boston
Level Contributor
1,501 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Iberostar Grand Playa Paraiso vs. Excellence Riviera Cancun

I have only been to the Grand, but if it is a good beach you are looking for, I wouldn't go to this complex. The beach directly in front of the Grand is full of rocks, large clusters of rock and it is impossible to swim in front of the grand. When I say rocks I don't mind that you step on a few in the water, the rocks make it impossible to get in the water. Think jaggered coast line with rocks.

If you walk north towards the other Iberostar resorts you can go in the water, but the beach isn't what it use to be. There are more people and you still have to steer clear of some rocks. The beach is pretty to look at, but if you are a ocean swimmer, I think you will be disappointed.

If you want a good beach for swimming, go a little bit further south and check out Secrets Maroma or the other hotels on that stretch of the beach.

The strange thing is that you can walk to the Grand from Secrets but the differrences in beaches is night and day.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
767 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Iberostar Grand Playa Paraiso vs. Excellence Riviera Cancun

We are beach lovers and ocean swimmers and loved the Grand. There is a PORTION of the Grand's beach that is rocky and not swimmable but the other side is WONDERFUL.

The statement that the beach in front of the Grand is unswimmable is not true.

Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Iberostar Grand Playa Paraiso vs. Excellence Riviera Cancun

I agree with Spotsmom; I stayed at the Grand a couple of years ago and just came back from ERC - Grand it is! I also agree with frojjy - I'm a "beach" person and had NO problem with the beach at the Grand - nice sand and just walk a few yards and clear ocean entry! However, tho the sand is nice at ERC, the entry into the water is a wee bit pebbly and there is quite a bit of sea grass and the water isn't clear, blue....however, this didn't bother me - I was still in swimming each day:):) Mind you, conditions at any beach on the coast can change depending on weather, tides and time of year........ I also enjoyed the "entertainment" aspect of the Grand much better. Cheers! Margaret

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
1,703 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Iberostar Grand Playa Paraiso vs. Excellence Riviera Cancun

ERC was the very first resort we went to in Mexico and we were very impressed and had a great time. A couple of years later we tried the Grand for the first time and we are returning for a third visit in November. We like the Grand better because we prefer the beach, the food, the drinks, the service and the rooms. We made the mistake of trying EPM after our first visit to the Grand and while we had a nice vacation it just did not compare.

As a few have said there is no problem getting in the water at the Grand. While there are rocks directly in front of the resort it is a huge beach with ample areas to swim. The beach itself is free of rocks and wide with really nice sand.

lancashire
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Iberostar Grand Playa Paraiso vs. Excellence Riviera Cancun

We visited the Grand in may and had a fantastic time the beach was lovely as were the sunbeds available for the people staying at the Grand, Would love to return to the Grand as it is a wonderfull resort.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,501 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Iberostar Grand Playa Paraiso vs. Excellence Riviera Cancun

I am not the only one that thinks the beach was rocky. I tried to paste a picture here to show it to you, but that function wouldn't work. I think everyone loves this place so much they really aren't that objective about the beach or they haven't been to a great beach!

If you go through the pictures of the Grand under the photo's section under the reviews you will find pictures of the beach, not many, but you will see the rocks and captions from others saying "Rocky Beach."

The beach in front of the hotel is wide with nice sand, but seriously you can forget about swimming in front of the hotel unless you want to get hurt.

Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Iberostar Grand Playa Paraiso vs. Excellence Riviera Cancun

Well....I actually think I do know what a great beach looks like - living in Florida in Bonita Springs and having travelled worldwide and lived overseas as well (Brasil); plus 15+ resorts in the Riviera Maya :):) Maybe for some "the rocky portion" is a deal breaker - I don't mind walking for 2 mins to a free part for water entry when the rest of the wide, sandy beach area is able to be enjoyed:):) Not to mention the rest of the wonderful amenities at The Grand......Happy travels! Margaret