We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's with the upgrades?

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
2,003 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
What's with the upgrades?

Hmm, two reviews in a row from people who have been upgraded to the Grand.

Good for them, it is a wonderful upgrade but it does make me wonder why and how often this happens.

So far I got the feeling that January will be a quiet time at the Grand and I must admit I would be less pleased if a lot of people I meet ended up paying much much less than me and got a free upgrade.

Nothing to to with those who where so lucky though but I am honest enough to say I would not like it too much for me.

I mean I payed of a garden view room and if I cant get a free upgrade to a pool or ocean view room and there are people about who did not even book the Grand...

I do NOT expect an upgrade at all but if I feel like the odd one out and having payed full wack (especially because I also pay a single supplement) I might not be too pleased.

Then again, if it makes the place more lively and fun and I get to play volleyball more often because there are more people around .. maybe I should feel happy about the upgraded people.

What are your thoughts about it?

Amy

North Truro...
Level Contributor
8,649 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
121. Re: What's with the upgrades?

occupancy here is 89% as of last evening. service is great. have not heard of free upgrades but everyone here seems exceedingly happy. My husband just finished playing (free) golf from some folks from Calgary and had a wonderful time. Sandwiches and beverages included. They paired him up with some people as he was on his own.

Just came in from the beach as the sprinkles started a few minutes ago. Enjoying a nice bottle of Maison Nicolas Reserve Cab Sav...delicious..recommended to me from my new friends from Montreal.

Everyone here is so nice.

Oceangirl

: P

I'm jealous of myself at this point.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
2,003 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
122. Re: What's with the upgrades?

Okay, I just recieved this message form someone I met last year in Punta Cana and keep in contact with.

The message below is not fabricated and is not about Iberostar Bavaro but about Iberostar Punta Cana!

Just so you know

amy today i received a email from iberostar saying that if i book any ib resort for any time in jan i could receive a free upgrade to the grand if rooms are available, have you heard of this before? i may book the ibpc or ib lindo and keep my fingers crossed.

Demotte, Indiana
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
123. Re: What's with the upgrades?

Amy- We are here now and I can definately tell you that people have been upgraded left and right!!! Three of the couples we met here were upgraded, one free of charge from the Tucan, and the other 2 (who are traveling together) were offered the upgrade as soon as they arrived at the Maya. The 2 couples paid only $87 per person for a 6 night stay! They also told us that they overheard a man that was pretty upset talking to another couple about how many people here had been upgraded for free. Let me tell you it is BUSY here, so it wasnt about filling this place up :) We are having a great time here, just thought I would let you know what we heard!

124. Re: What's with the upgrades?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2011, 05:17