We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's with the upgrades?

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
What's with the upgrades?

Hmm, two reviews in a row from people who have been upgraded to the Grand.

Good for them, it is a wonderful upgrade but it does make me wonder why and how often this happens.

So far I got the feeling that January will be a quiet time at the Grand and I must admit I would be less pleased if a lot of people I meet ended up paying much much less than me and got a free upgrade.

Nothing to to with those who where so lucky though but I am honest enough to say I would not like it too much for me.

I mean I payed of a garden view room and if I cant get a free upgrade to a pool or ocean view room and there are people about who did not even book the Grand...

I do NOT expect an upgrade at all but if I feel like the odd one out and having payed full wack (especially because I also pay a single supplement) I might not be too pleased.

Then again, if it makes the place more lively and fun and I get to play volleyball more often because there are more people around .. maybe I should feel happy about the upgraded people.

What are your thoughts about it?

Amy

scranton...
Level Contributor
3,075 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: What's with the upgrades?

Ragtop,

You need to come to Pa. for the clowns, especially creepy Christmas ones and see Heidi about the fruitcake...but gingerbread men/women are her specialty.

Btw...I totally hear what Amy is saying. I've also been reading this about Grand Velas. People book the basic or least expensive suite and than get this fabulous upgrade (usually at no charge...according to some posters.) Somehow I just know we wouldn't be that lucky. We always end up paying "full whack" for the room we really want if we can afford it. Not worth taking the chance of being disappointed.

Ormond Beach...
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: What's with the upgrades?

Hey guys, easy on the clown stuff, some of my best friends are clowns, oh wait that's me!

NJLynn a/k/a Squiggles the Clown

Edited: 07 December 2010, 14:54
Midland, Canada
Level Contributor
3,468 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: What's with the upgrades?

Clowns are one thing but how about towel art?

I can't tell you the number of times I have been sitting at the beach enjoying a killer marg when I have over heard a person on the next lounger describing how great their towel art was. Turtles, elephants, little people all done with towels, then returning to my room to only find that it has been imaculatly cleaned but no towel art.

Makes me just want to pout and wonder what else I am missing out on....

Ormond Beach...
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: What's with the upgrades?

I've NEVER had flower petals on my bed :(

out east
Level Contributor
305 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: What's with the upgrades?

We had flower petals and chocolates but no towel art. Is there a conspiracy afoot? This resort has me perplexed.

Stowe, Vermont
Level Contributor
7,074 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: What's with the upgrades?

OMG do I hate clowns. Sorry, but they freak me out. But I do indeed make amazing anatomically correct gingerbread people :)

I still don't understand the attraction of towel art. Or fruitcake. Or, for that matter, banners on the door that say "anniversary" or whatever. We went to SMB in September and they put a "Newlywed" banner on our door; we've been married for 25 years. Even when we changed rooms the banner followed us. We were celebrating a birthday.

As for upgrades: the first time at the Grand, we paid $50/night for upgrade to OF; the second time we paid $30/night and the third time it was free. We've had the rose petals, towel art, champagne, starberries, etc.

Talking to other about upgrades is a bit like asking folks on a flight what they paid. I don't want to know.

Edited: 07 December 2010, 15:31
Ormond Beach...
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: What's with the upgrades?

so sad :(

Squiggles

Stowe, Vermont
Level Contributor
7,074 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: What's with the upgrades?

Squiggly Lynn - I am sure you are an excellent clown. Alas, I won't be able to look at you w/o having a coronary, but I am sure you ROCK!

But, can Squiggles make towel art, fruitcake, and anatomically correct gingerbread people?

Geez, do I need a vacation or WHAT? Holy crap.

Midland, Canada
Level Contributor
3,468 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: What's with the upgrades?

Spotsmom:

Maybe it's because you look so young....:)

Ormond Beach...
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: What's with the upgrades?

No towel art, just balloon animals. I've tried to do anatomically correct balloon people but it didn't work out! Geez, I think we all need a vacation.

Edited: 07 December 2010, 15:50