We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wishing for an adults only Iberostar...but not The Grand..

ontario
Level Contributor
242 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Wishing for an adults only Iberostar...but not The Grand..

Wish they had a medium priced adult hotel...we have been going to the Iberostars for 10 years and love them, but sometimes the kids are too much if you dont have them yourself. The Grand is just too expensive...especially since this time we are treating my son and his new wife. We were thinking of trying an Excellence hotel but dont like the class system..or Catalonia Royal Tulum but no swim up bar..a deal breaker for my husband. Hmmm what to do?

STL
Level Contributor
260 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wishing for an adults only Iberostar...but not The Grand..

I know what you mean. We can't afford the grand either but would have liked an adults only resort with Iberostar. Normally we couldn't care at all but this time we were looking for something a little more quiet.

Erie, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,094 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wishing for an adults only Iberostar...but not The Grand..

We are taking our kids this summer and were not able to afford the Grand (big, sad sigh). We're going to Excellence Riviera Cancun. We will be there in less than 4 weeks. I'll let you know how it was.

BTW, what do you mean by the "class system"?

Stowe, Vermont
Level Contributor
7,084 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wishing for an adults only Iberostar...but not The Grand..

Class system: maybe the whole Excellence Club versus regular rooms?

ontario
Level Contributor
242 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wishing for an adults only Iberostar...but not The Grand..

Yes thats what I mean...I would not like it if I could only use certain lounge chairs..and so on..at the same resort. The idea of Excellence Club does nothing for me.

ontario
Level Contributor
242 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wishing for an adults only Iberostar...but not The Grand..

My prefect Iberostar hotel would be about the size of the Grand...but not so opulant. With an open-air lobby like the Del Mar..reservations like the Lindo, rooms like the Maya. Adults only and relaxed with prices along the lines of the Maya...access to the Paraiso golf and shopping center. Maybe located next to the Grand.. Not asking for much am I ; )

Erie, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,094 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wishing for an adults only Iberostar...but not The Grand..

What about the Lindo reservations do you like?

ontario
Level Contributor
242 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wishing for an adults only Iberostar...but not The Grand..

I like that they have a conceirge in each building, and like the maya you can have ala cartes each night...but unlike the Grand you dont have to worry about making them in advance, like some posts suggest...

Donnellson, Iowa
Level Contributor
995 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wishing for an adults only Iberostar...but not The Grand..

Have you looked at Secrets? It is adults only. I know it is higher priced, but they seem to offer more discounts than the Iberostars. Sometimes they have really good deals. Just have to watch for them. Once you go to resort where you don't have reservations, it will be hard to go to ones that have them. I really enjoyed, just being able to eat when we wanted to and not schedule your day around your meal. We usually ate before 7:30 and had no problems getting in to eat at Secrets Maroma. Some of the other hotel chains, like Rui, Iberostar, etc, need to look at the whole restaurant reservations. Dreams, Secrets, and Excellence all don't have reservations and they seem to be able to manage.

Stowe, Vermont
Level Contributor
7,084 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wishing for an adults only Iberostar...but not The Grand..

Iberostar is taking over the Hilton in Cancun in August. It will be interesting to see what they do with it. I wonder if it will be priced like the Lindo? It would amazing if it were adult-only, but I doubt it :)

Erie, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,094 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wishing for an adults only Iberostar...but not The Grand..

Actually, the Lindo is the same as the Grand, reservations fill up when the hotel is busy. I've never had problems getting reservations at either hotel though.

The need to make reservations is not an issue for everyone. That's the one thing about ERC that we do not like, that you can't make reservations. I'd rather know when we are having dinner as opposed to hoping that there won't be a wait at the restaurant I want to go to. I hope the Grand never changes to a no reservation system. That would be a negative for us.